Is 1Password Multi User?

I would like to know how 1Password deals with multiple users/accounts. I have a minor issue with multiple Dropbox accounts which haven't been accessed for some time - maybe a year or more? How do I bring it into 1Password 4? Do I need to have multiple Win 7 accounts, one per Dropbox? Some of them were storing 1Password 2.9. Agile Keychain.

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

I’ll leave the technical stuff to others, but 1Password for Windows is licensed three ways—single user, household (up to five users), and business. For individual and household licenses, there is no limit to the number of keychains that a licensed user can maintain, or the number of Windows PCs or Windows user accounts that a user can load the software onto.

1P/Win can also be run in Linux, BSD Unix, or OS X with the help of Wine. While 1Password on Wine is not officially supported by AgileBits, I do not believe that it violates the 1P/Win user license—if there were a licensing issue, I imagine that it would have been mentioned in one of the many Linux threads in these forums.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

@wkleem‌, 1Password simply uses the local .agilekeychain folder you tell it to open (and for which you provide the correct master password, of course).

Of course, a specific Windows user account would need read- and write-access privileges for the local folder in which a specific Dropbox account's files are stored, but that's outside the control of 1Password itself.

I hope that helps.

I'm not sure what a "1Password 2.9 Agile Keychain" might be. :(

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

DBrown, I got confused since I started using 1Password 2.x on OSX Tiger and moving on to Leopard, etc.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/mac/release_notes

Version 2.9.0 (build #7283)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I see. Thanks for the explanation!

Do you still have a question about how to open a particular .agilekeychain folder?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I have a question about multiple agilekeychains in the same dropbox folder. How are they handled? Every 1Password.agilekeychain of mine is named identically from the previous installations. Is Dropbox intelligent enough to preserve a preexisting version and not overwrite it?

I had this issue with 1Password in Dropbox having 1Password (1, 1+n).html. I had alot of those. I haven't looked at my other Dropbox accounts if they are still present.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi @wkleem,

I have a question about multiple agilekeychains in the same dropbox folder. How are they handled?

They're separate files (they should be named different if you're using them) and 1Password will treat them as such. On Mac with 1Password 4, double-clicking on a different data file will simply bring up a vault screen to let you name the vault and enter the vault password. 1Password 4 will insert it as a separate vault.

On Windows, you have to go to the File Menu > Open 1Password Vault, and select the separate file to open it as a different vault. After that, 1Password will record the path in its recent 1Password files, so that you can quickly reopen it.

Every 1Password.agilekeychain of mine is named identically from the previous installations. Is Dropbox intelligent enough to preserve a preexisting version and not overwrite it?

The Dropbox folder just like a regular folder on your computer, you can't have the same file name in the same folder. Windows or Mac will ask if you want to overwrite, keep both or replace it.

If you've put them in separate folders, you should rename the data files respectively, and 1Password will treat them differently.

I had this issue with 1Password in Dropbox having 1Password (1, 1+n).html. I had alot of those. I haven't looked at my other Dropbox accounts if they are still present.

That has been fixed for a long time. You have to delete all the html files there and then re-sync with your iOS app, so that it'll regenerate a new .html file and that'll stop the conflicts.

This discussion has been closed.