Find Duplicate Passwords

I searched on this and found plenty of references to duplicate lists but not how to generate them. I'm trying to find out how many of my legacy passwords (the ones I haven't had time to update) are the same. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks much for the help.

-G.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

View menu > Duplicate Passwords gives you a new entry on the category list. Click on the Duplicate Password category and you'll see a list of entries that share their passwords with one or more others.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

So easy when you know how! Thanks much. Now I wish I could actually see what the passwords are that are duplicated. It would help (I think) to know if one pw is being used 20 times whilst another maybe only twice or three. I think I'd go after changing the one(s) with many uses. Anyway, this is a start. Thanks so much.

-G.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@gorham, a search of the user's guide for "duplicate" returns several hits that will show you how to view duplicate passwords:

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@gorham‌

Now I wish I could actually see what the passwords are that are duplicated.

Why? They all need to be changed. Just bite the bullet and get it done. ;)

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

I think my problem was maybe there were too many hits on my search. So I searched on "show duplicate" and got a reasonable number of hits. At first glance, most of them were for the Mac version. For the purposes of duplicates and how to find and treat them, I'm assuming the versions are the same.

Richard, I know they all need doing but I'd like to tackle those that are duplicated most often first; I'm thinking they might be more vulnerable. Actually maybe not but I do have to start somewhere and that seemed logical. Anyway, it doesn't really matter so never mind that part. I'll get to them sometime...

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Okay. I've found an adequate work-around for my own use. It likely wouldn't be ideal in an insecure location. I've exported to Excel and sorted by password. Now I know that I have a heap of sites I never considered important all with the same password. Some 33 of them! More importantly, I still have five with my previous "security" password. Those are sites that need protecting and I'll get right on them. And them there are the ones in between. I will get to the 33 but I know where I need to put my energies first. I mention it only in case it might help someone else.

-G.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I always find that a good place to a list of tasks is at the top. ;)

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi @gorham,

Don't forget to secure delete that excel file (something like Eraser), that's definitely not secure in an any way but you gotta make sure it is not left behind.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

Is Eraser effective or futile on an SSD? From the docs it appears it just uses overwriting, and worse, it may be overwriting through the filesystem, rather than to the bare metal so it may not even be effective for copy-on-write style filesystems on hard disks.

• Hi @bkh,

It wouldn't work on SSD if you have that. If your SSD have hardware encryption, it'd be better to take advantage of that and do a secure erase whenever you're done with that disk.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Why would it not work on an SSD?

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT. Thanks for sticking with me. I will indeed totally destroy that file when I finish. For now, it's on an encrypted flash stick.

For software uninstallation, I use Revo Pro. It has an evidence remover tool; I've never used it but you've got me wondering about Eraser. Do you have any information on how it compares to Revo. Or, for the ignorant (me) why Eraser is best for the task.

Mike, I consider my part of this thread finished I wouldn't close it if I could because of the other part of the discussion. But, for future reference, am I supposed to do something to indicate resolution of the original post?

Thanks again for sticking with me and for being here in the forum.

-G.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

@gorham, I'm not familiar with Eraser, and we have a strict policy of not endorsing third-party utilities or even advocating their use (other than Dropbox and iCloud, of course).

I'm sure there are articles reviewing and comparing Eraser and Revo, though. Here's what I found, just now: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=compare+revo+and+eraser

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

I'm actually delighted you don't endorse other products. Thanks for sending me where I ought to have gone to start with. I have the answer that best applies to me.

-G.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Oh, thanks very much for that comment, @gorham! I'm really glad my reply was helpful.

This discussion has been closed.