Question on auto lock

ScarySulley
ScarySulley
Community Member
edited July 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I was going through the preferences for 1Password 4 and under Browsers it shows Unlock with two options: Unlock on Secure Desktop and Universal Unlock (unlock when application is unlocked).

1) What is Secure Desktop? I've read the help section on it about malware/keyloggers not being able to capture the master password, but would appreciate a bit more elaboration on it. Like "how" does it prevent that.

2) Can someone further explain Universal Unlock with its two options? How is it different than regular auto lock under Security?

3) In the help section for Universal Unlock it says:

1Password, the helper, and your browsers run in separate processes...

What is the "helper?"

Thanks for any help! :D

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    1. Here's a quote from a Microsoft blog post about their Secure Desktop technology:

The Secure Desktop’s primary difference from the User Desktop is that only trusted processes running as SYSTEM are allowed to run here (i.e. nothing running as the User’s privilege level) and the path to get to the Secure Desktop from the User Desktop must also be trusted through the entire chain.

1. When the Universal Unlock option is enabled, you shouldn't have to enter your master password to use the 1Password extension in a browser if the main 1Password program is already unlocked.

There's only one Universal Unlock option, and it's unrelated to the auto-lock options on the Security tab, which have to do with whether and when 1Password locks itself automatically.

2. Here's a quote from About the helper in our online knowledge base:

The 1Password helper (Agile1pAgent.exe) is a separate program that (among its other duties) facilitates the exchange of data between the main program (1Password.exe) and the browser extensions.

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Thank you for the information. I will look into it. :)

• Hi @ScarySulley‌,

On behalf of David, you're welcome. If you have any questions, please let us know, and we'll answer them.

This discussion has been closed.