Single user license clarification

HI,

I saw the license terms as below:

You alone use 1Password on your home and work Windows machines
You only need one single user license for 1Password for Windows.

From above term, that mean if I buy the single user license for 1password 4 for Windows, I can install it on one Windows PC at home and one Windows PC in office, right?

Thanks
Patrick

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

A single-user license for 1Password for Windows entitles you to install it on as many Windows computers as you like, as long as you'll be the only one using 1Password on those computers.

• vvcat
    vvcat
    Community Member

Got it, many thanks your explaination!

BTW, not related topic......, will 1password going to launch green version? Just store the program on flash disk and users just put a USB flash disk on PC, it will more convenience for the IT support guys!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014

@vvcat, can you clarify "green version"?

As for a USB installation, it wouldn't allow the registry entries that are required for 1Password to do its work.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@DBrown which registry settings are needed? I don't see much of any great importance in there. Or are you dependent on COM libraries?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne‌ @DBrown Yes we depend on a few COM libraries. This is why you need to run our installer.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

...which prevents us from creating a "portable" version that you install on a USB drive, for example, and carry with you.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

There are tools that allow you merge com libraries into a compiled exe, but I've not used used one for years so couldn't tell you anything about the current reliability of availability of such tools. Might be worth a look though.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks!

• Pax0707
    Pax0707
    Community Member
    edited July 2014

I would love a portable version since on work PCs we SHOULDN'T be installing "our" software.

That's the main reason I still swap between LastPass and 1Password.

Portable software I do use is all on portableapps.com platform.

• Hi @Pax0707,

We'll look into those tools that Richard mentioned. At the moment, the tools we use to power 1Password does not allow us to offer a portable version.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The other option is that you could put in a "stand alone" command switch which causes 1Password.exe to register the COM libraries it needs to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes. When it closes it would clean up those registrations.

See this codeproject item for a howto.

HKCU registrations do not need admin rights and so could be done without installation.

• MikeT
    edited July 2014

Hi @RichardPayne,

Doesn't that tend to trigger the anti-malware's spider senses to see an exe doing it each time you open 1Password? I remember getting alerts each time an app tries to modify the registry like this.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I'm not sure, but bearing in mind that the HKCU key is supposed to be editable by the user and user mode apps, I don't see why they would.

• Ok, we'll see what's up with it.

Thanks!`

This discussion has been closed.