forgot my master password

Options
pe71
pe71
Community Member

hello, I just installed 1Password last week and now I forgot my master password, what can I do now?

Comments

• pe71
    pe71
    Community Member
    Options

can someone tell me what to do best now?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@pe71‌
    Your old keychain is now scrap. You'll need to create a new one and then go and do password resets on all of your sites. If you struggle to remember your master password then it would be worth writing it down and storing it somewhere until it's well ingrained in your memory.

• pe71
    pe71
    Community Member
    Options

hello Richard, thank´s for your fast replay! Puh, than there is no possibilitty without reseting everything?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. This is the strength of 1Password. Agilebits can not be coerced into giving a third party access to your data because they have no way of interacting with your data. The downside is that you are responsible for remembering your password. Without it the data can not be read.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To clarify, @pe71, your master password is stored only within your 1Password data. We have no way of resetting or restoring it, because such a method would be a “back door” through which someone could get unauthorized access to your 1Password data. Is it possible that you wrote your master password down and tucked it away somewhere safe?

You might also try the tips in the Forgotten master password in our online knowledgebase.

This discussion has been closed.