Feature Request: Linked Accounts

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Hey Howard,

I just finished merging about three or four threads into this one, so the forum search may have been a bit wonky when you posted. I just merged your post here as well. This is something I would love to see in 1Password (and a few other folks would as well). :-)

Please see above and let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks!
  • davethis
    davethis
    Community Member
    It would be nice to create 1 login and have it be assigned to multiple sites. For example apple.com and me.com share the same username/pw, also amazon.com and endless.com. I know it is not hard to change the pw for multiple entries, but sometimes you forget to update one when you change your password.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey Dave! This seems to be a popular feature request today. :-)

I merged your post with the appropriate thread and mentioned this to the developers again. Please let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Cheers!
  • hofo
    hofo
    Community Member
    Nik wrote:

That would be very cool, but 1Password doesn't have this sort of detection. Right now it's just been hard-coded, meaning 1Password has been told that domain A and domain B are the same.

I;d love to have this manual ability. I'm using 1P in a corporate environment where I'm interacting with several systems that all authenticate against a single Active Directory system. When I have to change my password in that AD system every 30 days as dictated by corporate infosec policy, I have to go through my keychain and change them individually. It would be awesome to be able to change one item in the keychain for systems I've told 1P are equivalent.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It would be awesome to be able to change one item in the keychain for systems I've told 1P are equivalent.

Absolutely! Thanks for letting us know you would like to see this added to 1Password. We really appreciate the feedback. It helps us prioritize feature development in future releases.

Cheers,
  • I have several work-related accounts which are synchronized with single sign-on (i.e., same username/password; change a password on one server and it changes on the others). I have these logins set up in 1Password, but as far as it knows, they all have unique passwords. So, when I change my corporate password - which I have to do every 90 days -- I have to go back into 1Password and update the passwords manually for all the linked accounts.

As a solution, it would be great if I could create a group of logins and have them use the same password. That way, the change would only need to be made once. Or alternatively, be able to create a password as a 1st-class object within 1Password - just like an identity or note -- and then to be able to use it via reference within any login.

This would also be helpful in other situations where you intentionally want to have the same password for different logins.
  • Use Dropbox to store your 1password database and use the same Dropbox account for all of your work-related accounts. Then they will all use the same database.
  • Thanks, but that's not the problem I'm trying to solve and I'm already using Dropbox to sync my keychain across multiple machines.

The issue I'm dealing with is that I have a dozen+ systems that connect to regularly at work. 1Password is set up so that I can use it to log into each system. Every 90 days, however, I have to change my corporate network password. This automatically changes the password for all the servers, but 1Password still has the old password. Right now, that means going into each login in 1Password to manually update with the new password. If there was a way to have a shared password within 1Password, then I would only need to change it once.
  • +1 for this feature please. Apple.com and me.com are just one of many examples where changing a password on one causes problems for the other if the user forgets to update them manually.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Vote: counted. Thanks, Stephen! :-)
  • ocjlb
    ocjlb
    Community Member
    My organization uses single sign-on using our network credentials on many internal websites. Currently, I maintain separate records in 1Password to accommodate these websites. When my network password changes, I dutifully update all my records which use the credentials. Note: I use both a Mac and a PC. The PC generally does not prompt me to logon to SSO websites after I initially logon to my PC when using IE. Firefox, OTOH, always forces me to provide my credentials. This occurs on both the Mac and my PC. Firefox is my preferred browser.

What I would like is to be able to create a master record, with my current network ID and password, and then 'point' to this record from other records. In this way, I would have to update the master record as needed, and the changes would flow through to the other records. Currently, I am updating perhaps 20 logins, and it only takes a half hour or so, but if I could reduce this to seconds, I would be happy!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I am also looking forward to this, ocjib! I have added your vote to the tally. :-)
  • Add another vote for this feature. I just stumbled across the domain matching setting in my 1Password for Windows, but I'd like to see it in the Mac version as that's the system I use more regularly.
  • Hello Glen,

Thanks for adding your vote!

Cheers!

Brandt
  • stevenjklein
    stevenjklein
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    MikeT wrote:

this is something we know would be useful for a lot of people and we would like to work on this.

Count me as as wanting this feature, too. The websites for Sears, Kmart, and Land's End all share a single authentication system, and it would be nice to have a single 1Password Login work for sears.com, kmart.com, and landsend.com.

As a workaround, I've found that I can log in to one site, then navigate to another site in the same corporate family, and I'm automatically logged in there as well.

For example, I used 1Password to store my sears.com login. Now, if I want to buy something from kmart.com, I just log in to sears.com first, then navigate to kmart.com, where I'm already logged in.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the tip, Steven! I hope that helps some other folks out for now. I have passed your vote along to the developers.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,
  • stoop
    stoop
    Community Member
    This morning i cam in and was prompted to change my com pany intranet password. This password lets me access the hundreds of web sites in my company and having to update them individually in 1 password isa pain. Can't we have a single password assigned to multiple web sites that can be changed in one place?
  • stoop wrote:

This morning i cam in and was prompted to change my com pany intranet password. This password lets me access the hundreds of web sites in my company and having to update them individually in 1 password isa pain. Can't we have a single password assigned to multiple web sites that can be changed in one place?

Hi stoop,

Unfortunately this isn't possible at this point however we do get this feature request fairly frequently, so I imagine we'll implement it at some point. I don't have any details on when that might happen.

Ben
  • dubkat
    dubkat
    Community Member
    edited July 2011
    Another vote for this please -- with lots of internal sites linked to a single LDAP/AD login, this would be very useful.

Also, flexibility on the login name would be a biggie. For example, given employee John Smith at company Foo with Active Directory domain FOOB and account name jsmith, the following are possible logins to various intranet sites:

• jsmith
    • jsmith@foo.com
    • FOOB\jsmith
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, dubkat! Thanks for the vote.

I absolutely agree. This would be a great feature. Perhaps we can take a closer look at it once the new Safari extension has been refined a bit more.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Cheers,
  • I occasionally order books from Amazon's international sites. Luckily, all of these sites require only one username (email) and password, so the username/password that works on Amazon.ca will work on Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, etc.

Is there any way to reduce the number of entries in my 1Password database by having one entry that will work on all those international sites, and will work when using the browser plugin? Can I, for example, insert any sort of "wildcard" in the domain field, such as "www.amazon.*"?

I'm using Mac OS X Lion, and use the Chrome and occasionally Safari extensions, if that matters.
  • Hi tigmic

Welcome to the forums!

There isn't any way, currently. This feature request has come up a couple of times in the past though and I'd say there is a good possibility that it'll get implemented in some form in the future. No promises though, I don't know of any definite plans.

Thanks
    Ben
  • Thanks for your reply! Okay, that's good to know. I've been trying to figure out a way now for a while, so it's good that I asked.
  • ottonomy
    ottonomy
    Community Member
    I understand the concerns about protection from phishing, but I think that 1Password could overcome this with a well worded warning dialog. I am running into more and more sites which use multiple top level URLs to login to the same account. This is growing into more of a necessity than a somewhat desired feature, and judging by the length of this merged thread, I really think it deserves some attention.

I apologize for piling on while you're so busy working out the kinks of the Safari 5.1 extension, but all my trouble with that has made me an active forum participant for the first time...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    tigmic wrote:

Thanks for your reply! Okay, that's good to know. I've been trying to figure out a way now for a while, so it's good that I asked.

On behalf of Ben, you are quite welcome, tigmic! :-)

I merged your thread with a related feature request thread.

If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

Cheers,
  • astrostl
    astrostl
    Community Member
    Example a.internal.domain, b.internal.domain, and c.internal.domain all exist. I would like CMD-\ to autofill using a given login for a & b, but perhaps a different one for c - without having to cursor-navigate a menu of options. Is that possible with the latest release? I'm using Firefox as well, if that matters.
  • astrostl
    astrostl
    Community Member
    I am aware that I could create a separate login for each site, and that would eliminate the prompting. I would like to "share" a single password across multiple sites, though, as an update of a centralized (e.g. LDAP) password would then necessitate updating N separate 1Password logins, as opposed to just the shared one.
  • ottonomy
    ottonomy
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

... The problem is, people don't read warnings, we see it all the time, so just allowing 1Password to fill any login on any page is not going to happen, it's just too dangerous.

Oh, I agree. I didn't mean to suggest that 1Password should be able to login to just any page with any login, but that you provide some provision for overcoming this limitation on a case by case basis. How about a function that requires holding down a modifier key to reveal it, then followed by a warning? That would, I think, filter the power users, who understand the dangers, from the average users who don't bother reading warnings or documentation of keyboard options...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2011
    Welcome to the forums, astrostl! I merged your post with this feature request thread. This is something we are still considering for the future.

ottonomy, I think that is a pretty neat solution. I will pass it along to the rest of the team. :-)
  • astrostl
    astrostl
    Community Member
    Cool, thanks.

What I'd really like to see is basic expression support: foo.bar.com, *.microsoft.com, etc. 1Password looks for matches in all its logins, and fills based on that. When a new login is created it would default to the site-as-used, as usual, but that default could be hand-edited, or other sites added.

Forum note: I found this only by manually checking for a reply. In the future, perhaps procedure could be to respond then move, so that notice would be passed?
This discussion has been closed.