1P forum password problem

Options
1pw80
1pw80
Community Member

Is it ironic that I'm posting the problem here? ;)

I noticed that my forum password was flagged by Watchtower. So I logged in here and updated it, using the random password generator, and I even made the new password longer. Watchtower is happy.

Then I tested it. Login failure. At first, I thought something had gone wrong in the update process, but looking in 1P, I can see the new password was saved correctly.

Having updated to FF 31 this morning, my first thought was to revert to FF 30. No change.

Here's the problem. If I try to sign in, I now get a failure. Copying and pasting the contents of the password field post-error, I can see that the contents match the length of the old password.

If I open the 1P program and manually copy the new password by clicking the Copy button, and then paste it into the forum's password field, the login is successful.

What's going on? All I know is, it worked seamlessly before I updated my password.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @1pw80,

Can you try saving a new Login manually using the new password that you know is okay, then test that new item to make sure you can log in with it? If that doesn't work for some reason we'll figure out something else that does. :)

Thanks!

• 1pw80
    1pw80
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk,

I'd like to do this for you, but the link you sent appears to be broken. Can you point me to the correct article (or fix the link?)

Thanks! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

'Tis fixed now, @1pw80. I've been updating others that are broken but obviously missed this one. Thanks for mentioning it, and sorry for the inconvenience!

ref: DOCS-137

• 1pw80
    1pw80
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @sjk‌ !

Well, saving the login manually worked perfectly. It logs in as smoothly as I would expect. I wonder what's broken in the original login in that it has the correct password, but it won't work unless manually copied.

I guess I have no choice but to archive or delete the original login, and use this new one? Is there any way I can help you identify this bug further?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @1pw80. Glad your new Login item works perfectly, unlike the original one… and that earlier broken link here. :)

Saving a new Login like this can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or (as in your case) were once working but have since stopped. It allows 1Password to refresh everything it “knows” about the page. Login pages can change as websites are updated, and this can be a very helpful tip in those cases.

It might be possible to fix your original, non-working item by comparing its web form details with those from the new, working item and adjusting the former. If you'd like to email us sanitized JSON for the non-working item I can send you instructions for doing that. Or perhaps start by simply posting the site (preferably a URL) where the item stopped working, which could be sufficient for us to identify what went wrong. Or you could just move forward with your new item and leave the old one behind. Whatever you'd prefer. :)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

As the page which @sjk‌ previously linked to says:

Saving a new Login like this can be useful for Logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. It allows 1Password to refresh everything it “knows” about the page. Login pages can change as websites are updated, and this can be a very helpful tip in those cases.

If you look, in the main app, at the two login items you now have and click on show web form details you may notice some difference between the one which works and the one which doesn't, which will give you a clue as to what may have changed.

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.