Cannot enter license key or check for new version

djh
djh
Community Member

I have been using 1Password3 for a long time without any problems, I upgraded to 1Password4 on my corporate build Windows 7 Enterprise laptop but I'm having problems.

The application installed fine (I don't have admin rights so used privilege escalation) but whenever I attempt to enter the license key a new Microsoft Internet Explorer window opens and then immediately reports 'Navigation to the webpage was canceled'. This is odd in itself as Google Chrome is my default browser and I never use MSIE. The URL it is trying to open is
https://agilebits.com/licenses/activate?key=1PWB-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXX&product=OPW4 (I replaced my actual license key with Xs).

If I go to this URL manually from the same MSIE browser window then I get a success response so I don't believe this is a network connectivity issue. Just to be sure I have tried on our corporate LAN and various open Internet connections. Something similar happens if I click on 'Check For New Version' from within the 1Password app, it immediately reports "The web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your internet connection settings". The URL it is trying to reach is https://app-updates.agilebits.com/check/1/6.1.7601/OPW4/en/503/ and again I get a successful response if I manually visit that URL from a browser window.

If I select Help > Online Support Forum then a Chrome window opens without any issues, so why would the other help menu options try to use MSIE?

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to address this or manually inject the license key response? I've raised a support ticket but I'm not getting very far and my trial period will end soon at which point I guess I'll have to downgrade to 1Password3 again.

1Password for Windows Version 4.0.1.503
Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @djh,

Does your work use a proxy? Can you open the main 1Password program, unlock, press the Preferences button, and go to the Network section. Try to configure the settings there to match your work's settings.

After that, see if it works. It seems to be a proxy issue where 1Password can't reach our license service.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll send you the activated license file to put on your drive.

• djh
    djh
    Community Member

Hi Mike

We have a corporate firewall and transparent network proxy, but no direct proxy settings. Anyway since I can actually reach the licensing server fine and get a valid response then surely connectivity is not the issue? It's odd that 1PW4 opens a MSIE window, why is it doing that?

I found this other forum post which describes a similar issue:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/3631/error-parsing-response

• MikeT
    edited August 2014

Hi @djh,

If we can't access the file through the app directly, we fall back to creating a separate IE window in the background to download the file. It didn't work.

Your browsers accessing the file isn't the same as the app accessing the file, the browsers on your computer is likely already configured to use the proxy properly when the app isn't.

We have to switch to offering you the license file manually. I'll send you the license file via the private message here.

This discussion has been closed.