Not enough time to enter password from browser extension

Options

Hi

Just installed 1Password4 and the Chrome/Firefox extensions on a new computer. When attempting to use the browser extension for the first time, all windows on the screen disappear and the password box appears. When I start entering the password it generally disappears before I finish and restores the windows back to their previous state. This however renders the browser extensions useless as they do not respond when clicked (obviously it's because its in mid-login). Even clicking the 1password notification centre icon does the same (clears the screen, not enough time to enter the password) which then means I can't launch the 1password app.

Killing the tasks allows me to launch 1Password, but then the browser extensions claim that the helper is not running (even if I restart the helper from 1Password).

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks
Aidan

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting. I've seen this previously but only once in a blue moon and immediately attempting to unlock again always worked.

• ajcooper
    ajcooper
    Community Member
    Options

Unfortunately I don't get a second crack at logging in. The browser extensions, padlock in notifications and 1password fail to respond if I miss the login window.

• ajcooper
    ajcooper
    Community Member
    Options

I've just uninstalled everything and started again. Reinstalled latest version of 1Password 4 (downloaded from the website). Didn't install browser extensions.

Upon launching 1Password I get the enter password box (everything else disappears), if I don't get the password entered in about 3 seconds it disappears. After that I am unable to launch 1Password. If I kill all Agile related processes I get another chance to enter the password.

I don't remember 1Password working this way on my last PC, the password entry was done either in the main 1Password window or in the browser extension dialog.

I need to get this sorted as 1Password is important to my workflow at work and home. I've paid all of the upgrades for 1Password over the last few years on all of my devices, iOS, Mac and Windows and am well invested in 1Password. Hopefully support from Agile will be forthcoming.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

When attempting to use the browser extension for the first time, all windows on the screen disappear and the password box appears.

That sounds like the secure desktop is turned on for your extensions. It basically puts 1Password on a secure desktop where nobody else can listen in, so you’re entering your master password safely. Do you recall enabling this option Unlock on Secure Desktop in the Browsers section of 1Password Preferences?

You’re saying as soon as you start typing, the secure desktop disappeared?

This however renders the browser extensions useless as they do not respond when clicked (obviously it's because its in mid-login).

I’m not sure what you mean, there’s nothing it can perform after the secure desktop is closed. This is intentional to minimize the communication between 1Password Helper and the Secure Desktop, the extension merely sees the 1Password Helper has been unlocked. You have to click on it again to start using 1Password extension. However, if secure desktop is broken, then that'd explain the wrong behavior here.

Even clicking the 1password notification centre icon does the same (clears the screen, not enough time to enter the password) which then means I can't launch the 1password app.

Right, this is the same thing as pressing the 1Password icon in the browser, it is the same app that opens up from two different places.

Upon launching 1Password I get the enter password box (everything else disappears), if I don't get the password entered in about 3 seconds it disappears.

Try this, open 1Password and then press the escape button on your keyboard right away, does it take you back to the main program? If yes, unlock the program, press the Preferences button, and go to the Browsers section to uncheck the Unlock on secure desktop. Now, press OK, and see if everything works better now.

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

It sounds like @MikeT has given a feasible work-around (although loss of the secure desktop is unfortunate), but does anyone have any thoughts on why his secure desktop is vanishing after 3 seconds? I've never experienced that: it gives me all the time I need. My first guess is that some other software on his PC is aborting the secure desktop: perhaps some anti-malware that is trying to prevent bad guys from taking over the screen (hiding all other software and controls). Can anyone think of a reasonable strategy to diagnose what other software on his system is aborting the secure desktop?

@ajcooper, can you tell us what are you running in the way of anti-malware, anti-virus, etc? Do they have a feature related to "full-screen" or "pop-ups" that may be causing this issue? Perhaps you could look at the Task Manager, "Show processes from all users" to try to identify everything there (Google is your friend) and see what might be killing the secure desktop. --- Or maybe it is running as a service. On windows 7 you can right-click Computer > manage > services or just use the start menu search for services to see what is running there.

I hesitate to suggest this, but perhaps you could disconnect (unplug a cable, power off a router) from the network and then briefly disable the anti-malware and try unlocking 1Password to see if the secure desktop is no longer killed out from under you while you are entering the password.

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @bkh,

It's not a workaround, it's a diagnostic step. We need to figure out if this is an issue with the secure desktop or the main program does the same thing, it could quit after 3 seconds. I've seen a few rare cases in the past few years where the program would just close on its own after 3 seconds.

Not to mention, it is possible he doesn't even have secure desktop turned on, and it might be something else instead.

However, your suggestion to turn off the anti-malware services is another great diagnostic step. :P

• ajcooper
    ajcooper
    Community Member
    Options

I contacted support via email and they had me disable secure desktop via the registry. This has solved the immediate problem and made 1Password usable again on my PC.

From the question from @bkh‌ regarding anti-malware, I have Sophos installed (enterprise) as its a work computer, no other anti-malware or anti-virus software installed. I had to configure Sophos to allow 1Password helper to work. Unfortunately can't remove Sophos, but as I said, disabling the secure desktop setting has got it working.

Thanks all for your feedback.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ajcooper,

That's great, thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

Just to be clear, you said you had to configure Sophos to allow 1Password Helper, did you have to authorize the 1Password process manually?

If so, in the same 1Password program folder, there is this file: Agile1pLogin.exe, this handles the Secure Desktop. If you authorize this in Sophos, you might be able to turn the Secure Desktop back on.

• ajcooper
    ajcooper
    Community Member
    Options

@mikeT I had to add 127.0.0.1 to the list of allowed addresses for Web Protection as per the 1Password support pages. I'll have a look at the Agile1pLogin.exe option tomorrow.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ajcooper,

Make sure you have the registry tweak ready in case it didn't help. :P

Let us know if how it turns out.

• BOSCOtheROCK
    BOSCOtheROCK
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to add to this thread, I'm new. I'm experiencing this exact same issue. Win7 pro x64. Using secure desktop works just fine when opening the desktop application, but when I initiate the secure desktop unlock from the Firefox extension, that's when the issue happens. The password prompt comes up for about 2 seconds then closes. 1password locks up and the extension says that 1password helper is not running. A quick reboot fixed the issue and I've since disabled secure desktop. Just wanted to help pinpoint the issue a little more.

• @BOSCOtheROCK‌ Which security software are you using?

• PoggiPJ
    PoggiPJ
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the exact same issue as BoscotheROCK. If I hit the Esc key FAST, then I get the "large" unlock box. If I do not hit Esc, the password prompt disappears immediately. I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection version 12.1.4013.4013. I also get the message that says 1password helper is not running. Reboot does not always fix the problem. I'm glad I read about the Esc key trick.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@PoggiPJ‌, do the instructions in this knowledgebase article help?

• PoggiPJ
    PoggiPJ
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown‌, Thank you - I am already setup to allow 127.0.0.1

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

...and this is only when you have the Secure Desktop option enabled, @PoggiPJ‌?

• PoggiPJ
    PoggiPJ
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown‌ The Unlock on Secure Desktop has been enabled the entire time. I am not even sure if I need this enabled. This laptop is already secure, and not shared.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is the behavior the same if that option is disabled?

• PoggiPJ
    PoggiPJ
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown‌ I disabled the option, and it has been behaving without incident. In fact, since I unchecked that box, I have not seen the smaller, rectangular unlock panel. Only the larger, square panel. I purposely give it a few seconds before entering my password, and it has not disappeared. Thank you. Now once I can figure out the licensing I need, I believe I will purchase it!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe our online store includes a "calculator" of sorts, which may help you decide which license is right for your scenario.

As an alternative, just let us know which platforms you'd be using and how many in your family would need access, and we'll be glad to advise you.

Thanks so much for your interest in 1Password!

• PoggiPJ
    PoggiPJ
    Community Member
    Options

where should i make that inquiry

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can tell us here: Number of PCs, Macs, iOS devices, and Android devices on which you'd want to use 1Password; number of people using them on each device.

That's probably the quickest way to get an answer, at least if this page doesn't help:

https://agilebits.com/store/licenses

• PoggiPJ
    PoggiPJ
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to be able to use it on my my and wife's (2) Windows laptops, her (1) Samsung tablet, and my (1) Kindle Fire.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't know anything about Kindle Fire. Does it run Android?

What OS does the Samsung tablet run?

• PoggiPJ
    PoggiPJ
    Community Member
    Options

I believe both run Android

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Kindle is an Android base but they don't have GooglePlay so you can't install 1P directly. I believe you can side load it though.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So, @PoggiPJ‌, you'd want a 1Password for Windows family license (which will allow you and your wife to install 1Password for Windows on as many PCs as you like) and the 1Password for Android app, available in the GooglePlay store.

This discussion has been closed.