Offer external file encryption [We have no plans to support this in 1Password itself]

Options
itayo
itayo
Community Member
edited August 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have been a 1Password user for the past year and really learnt to love it.
Nevertheless, I think there is one feature that would be a great addition to this great software - file encryption.
I think it is the next step and would be a valuable addition to the software capabilities.
I know I can encrypt documents by putting them inside the vault, but sometimes you need them 'out', but still private.
Itayo

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @itayo,

I think you're referring to something like the Knox app we have for Mac but for Windows instead, a file-based container to store your data in while being encrypted.

We do not plan to expand 1Password to support external file encryption. It is not something that we want to do to 1Password, we want to keep 1Password lean and focused on managing your passwords and other data related to your identity. We have no intentions of making 1Password do everything in terms of encrypting external data like files, drives, and so on.

If we want to do file encryption, it'd have to be a separate app that's lean and focused on that, like we do for Knox on Mac.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Are there any aspirations/intentions of porting Knox to other platforms? If I recall the Mac provides some specific APIs that make Knox easier to write.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT - thanks, I totally agree. Keep 1P clean and focussed. @itayo: I use Cypherix Cryptainer for file encryption, and find it very good.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@RichardPayne:

Are there any aspirations/intentions of porting Knox to other platforms? If I recall the Mac provides some specific APIs that make Knox easier to write.

No, it's not just an API. It actually is based on the sparsebundle format that is exclusive to OS X. Knox is a manager of the encrypted sparsebundle files on OS X and doesn't actively encrypt/decrypt files, OS X does.

To port Knox to Windows or and/or other platforms, we'd have to create our own custom format, not the same one we're using for 1Password as that's mostly textual and not meant for files/folders.

We'd love to figure this out but for now, it's not high on our list as we still have a lot of work with 1Password.

@Thack:

Thanks, I totally agree. Keep 1P clean and focussed. @itayo: I use Cypherix Cryptainer for file encryption, and find it very good.

No problem, thanks for suggesting a solution for itayo to check out in the meantime.

This discussion has been closed.