Internet Explorer extension fails to login to etsy.com [Confirmed, will fix in a future update]

Options
gxa747
gxa747
Community Member
edited August 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am in the process of setting up 1Password on my wife’s HP laptop (runs Windows 8). I have gone to the etsy.com website, signed into etsy.com by entering the email and password and, when prompted, saved them in 1Password.

When I test this saved login, I open a browser, click on the 1Password icon and choose the site. I am using Firefox v31.0, Internet Explorer v10.0.9200.17028 and Google Chrome v36.0.1985.125 m. I have both “Auto-Save Logins” and “Auto-Submit Logins” ticked.

For etsy.com, in Firefox and in Google Chrome, it logs in successfully.

For etsy.com, in Internet Explorer, I click on the 1Password icon, go down to “Logins” and click the etsy.com login. IE shows the etsy.com main webpage but doesn’t log in. At this point, if I click the 1Password icon, the etsy login is at the top of the dropdown list and if I click that etsy login, it will login. If I try to log out, Internet Explorer occasionally freezes and has to be killed. Note, sometimes when I logout of etsy and then close the tab I get the error “No such interface supported” – so far, I haven’t got this error at any other time when closing a tab – only when closing the etsy tab after logging in via 1Password to etsy.com. Note that after closing the etsy tab, if I then click on the1Password icon, choose “Logins” and then click on the etsy login, I am sometimes logged in straight away but sometimes it will just display the etsy webpage. Sorry if all that is confusing (it confused me) but there are certain elements of this procedure which appear to be random.

When it fails to auto-submit, but takes me to the etsy website, I can click on “Sign In”. A sign-in dialog box appears but pressing Ctrl \ does not fill in the required fields – this does work in Firefox and Chrome.

I’d be grateful for any assistance.
Thanks
Geoff.

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gxa747‌,

Wow, that is very strange. I can reproduce the no such interface error and I have no idea why it would only react that way only for etsy.com. I can't reproduce it on other sites.

I'll file a bug report and hopefully, our developer figures this out because it is a very weird one. I'll let you know as soon as I do.

In the meantime, I'd suggest visiting the https://www.etsy.com/signin page manually in Internet Explorer instead of using 1Password to open the site directly. Once you're there, you can use the keyboard shortcut or pressing the 1Password button to fill in, it should then work and it shouldn't show you an error when closing it. I tested this and it works for me.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @gxa747‌,

While I kept testing to figure out what's going on, I noticed something different.

If you press the 1Password button in Internet Explorer to open the etsy site, just wait a few minutes after the site is opened. You'll notice that it will start filling in the username and then fill in the password in another few minutes. I think there's some kind of timing issue here. If you do wait to let it finish filling both fields, it does not prompt any errors when you close the tab.

• gxa747
    gxa747
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT‌

Thanks for looking at this. I changed the default URL for etsy in 1Password to www.etsy.com/signin and sure enough, 1Password does... wait, for it... fill in... wait for it... the login details after about 20 seconds or so. But not for www.etsy.com which works in Chrome and Firefox. Ah, the mysteries of life...

Cheers
    Geoff

• MikeT
    Options

Hi Geoff,

Yep, it is only happening in Internet Explorer, which doesn't work the same way as it does in other browsers.

Hopefully, our developer will figure out why it is doing it and fix it in a future update.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

1Password does... wait, for it... fill in... wait for it... the login details after about 20 seconds or so

Here is something you can try:

1. Start IE
    2. Click on the 1Password button
    3. Unlock
    4. Setting > Open Logins In > Current Tab
  • MikeT
    Options

@svondutch, good catch. I missed that part. I tested it with Current tab and it works better.

This discussion has been closed.