1Password extension icon is missing in Firefox [Solution: Update to Firefox 31, the latest version]

Options
_vg_
_vg_
Community Member
edited August 2014 in Mac

OS X 10.9.4 with Firefox 24.7.0. One morning, 1Password button just disappeared. Tried restarting Firefox, and re-installing extension from https://agilebits.com/browsers/download/firefox?beta=false - no luck. 1Password Mini is running in the OS X menu bar. How to get 1Password button back?

Comments

• Laura Yeffeth
    Laura Yeffeth
    Community Member
    Options

I searched this forum and have tried everything I could find to get the key to reappear. I tried to add it back from customize toolbar, but it is not there as an option. I have removed and re-installed the browser extension. I have searched about:config in Firefox for agile and one password and reset whatever I found. I've restarted Firefox, restarted my computer, installed the browser extension through 1password. It just won't come back. I don't know what made it disappear in the first place. Neither 1Password nor Firefox were recently updated. I am stumped as to what to do next.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, that looks as though it might happen following the update to the FF extension 4.2.4 (which, for me, happened today). I, too, don't have the key icon in FF 31. However,:

1. I was originally using the 4.2.4 extension betas and removed the key icon (which the 4.2.4 extension allows you to do).
    2. I had problems with the beta extensions and reverted to 4.2.3—and the key reappeared (because the 4.2.3 extension didn't allow you to remove it, as I recall).
    3. The automatic update today to the 4.2.4 extension has automatically removed the key—but I'm perfectly happy with that and haven't tried to get it back.

I always use the keyboard shortcuts (⌘\ to open and fill, and ⌥⌘\ just to open 1P mini). I never use the key icon in FF. Do the keyboard shortcuts still work for you?

Stephen

• mattsch
    mattsch
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. It disappeared and it seems to be related to the update to 4.2.4 (which happened today, August 2nd).

It doesn't appear in the list when customizing the toolbar. The shortcuts do work, but it doesn't fill them in for me (it also doesn't recognize the logins for the current page).

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Well, that's strange. It does appear in my list of items when customising the toolbar and (I've just checked) I can add it and remove it again. In other words, for me it's working as expected.

Just in case it makes any difference, I'm using FF 31.0 on OS X 10.9.4. The FF extension is, of course, 4.2.4 as mentioned above.

Have you tried re-starting FF?

Stephen

• mattsch
    mattsch
    Community Member
    Options

I tried restarting Firefox (FF 28.0), yes.

I just tried removing and installing the extension again, but it didn't help. Then I tried installing 4.2.3 (from the official source, get the download link for 4.2.4 and change the version number), and the button immediately appeared again. Updating to 4.2.4 immediately removes it.

So for now I installed 4.2.3 and disabled automatic updates for this extension.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, I wonder if it makes a difference if you update FF to the current version (31.00).

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi all!

These two changes in version 4.2.4 of the extension relate to issues you've reported:

• Added retina support to Firefox's toolbar icon.
    • Firefox toolbar icon can now be removed permanently. Before it would be readded automatically.

The first requires using new toolbar APIs in Firefox, which aren't available in 28. That's why you're having trouble with the 4.2.4 extension, @mattsch. I think Firefox 29 is the lowest version with that new API support and compatibility with 4.2.4. Are you able to update to at least that version?

If not, the suggested workaround is to disable automatic extension updates and download/install version 4.2.3 of the 1Password extension:

1. Turn off add-on updates for all extensions:

How to turn off add-on updates | Mozilla Add-ons Blog

2. Install the 1Password 4.2.3 extension. Direct link:

1Password-4.2.3.xpi

3. Turn off Automatic Updates for the 1Password extension under the Add-ons Manager (Tools > Add-ons (⇧⌘A)):

4. Optionally turn on add-on updates for all extensions (inverting Step 1).

Can you mention which version of Firefox you're running, Laura? It sounds like you may also be running a version that's incompatible with the 4.2.4 extension.

The second change explains the toolbar icon behavior you described in post #2, Stephen ( @Stephen_C‌ ). Now you can stay "perfectly happy with that" being and remaining removed. :)

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Please see this thread. You are probably using an older version of FF than is properly supported by the latest browser extension.

Stephen

• _vg_
    _vg_
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox 24.7.0 is the latest stable version. Granted, there are newer versions published - but not on the stable branch.

• _vg_
    _vg_
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen,

The thread you mentioned suggests that I need to install 4.2.3 version of the extension. Do you happen to know where I could download it? Thanks!

• _vg_
    _vg_
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Solution:

1. Disable automatic updates
    2. Install from https://d13itkw33a7sus.cloudfront.net/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.2.3.xpi
  • Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The latest released version of Firefox is version 31. I'm not sure why you don't consider anything later than 24.7.0 "stable".

Stephen

• Neftanik
    Neftanik
    Community Member
    Options

Exactly what happened to me today. Previously I would simply click on the IP4 icon, select a login, click and it would load the page and enter my login details.

Today, no 1P4 icon on the Firefox tool bar, and if I try through 1P4, it opens the page but doesn't enter login details.

1P4 is Version 4.4.1 and Firefox 27.0.1. Firefox says "Firefox is up to date". Macbook Pro using OSX 10.9.4

After getting used to 1Password working great, this sucks

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I really don't know why FF is claiming it's up to date. The latest released version is FF 31. Does it still tell you it's up to date when you go to that page?

Stephen

• Neftanik
    Neftanik
    Community Member
    Options

I'm just clicking on the "About Firefox" which says 27.0.1 and says it is up to date

• Neftanik
    Neftanik
    Community Member
    Options

OK gone to the Firefox website and now it's says there IS an update, so will install and see what happens

• Neftanik
    Neftanik
    Community Member
    Options

Right, new FF installed and 1P4 button back where it belongs. Strange FF doesn't auto-update like everything else?

Thanks

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Glad it's sorted for you.

Stephen

• Macanudo62
    Macanudo62
    Community Member
    Options

I am using Firefox 28.0 and recently discovered that I can no longer use 1Password directly from Firefox. I have to copy and paste.

I am using 1Password 4.4.1 from the App Store and the 1Password extension 4.2.4 is installed. I have installed "Install Autosubmit" but it makes no difference. I am using Mac OS 10.9.4

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

As to absence of the icon in the FF toolbar, reading this thread will help you. In essence, you need to update FF to the latest, or at least a later, version.

That may be the cause of your more general problem.

Stephen

• jsto
    jsto
    Community Member
    Options

Having the exact (versions and all) same problem as Macanudo62.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

In that case I can only suggest the same solution. :)

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi everyone,

I've merged several similar threads together so we can keep this discussion in one place.

If you are not seeing the 1Password extension icon where it should be, please ensure that you update Firefox to the latest version (currently version 31). You may need to do this manually. This should get things displaying properly for you.

Please also have a look in the customize toolbar area of Firefox. As @sjk mentioned above, we changed some things recently within the extension that allows users to hide the button. Now that we are no longer forcing the extension to be visible, it might be hidden for you until you place it in your toolbar.

If you are still seeing something odd after updating Firefox, please let us know and we'll investigate further!

• xor
    xor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for clarifying that the latest 1Password extension will not run on Firefox 24.7.0.

But please be aware that Firefox 24.7.0 is the latest "Extended Support Release" ("ESR") that is specifically offered for organizations (and lots of people that are not happy with Firefox constantly changing the GUI):

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

I think it would be great if the 1Password extension would also support the current Firefox ESR release.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @xor,

Thanks for your feedback about this. The suggested workaround for being unable to upgrade Firefox for compatibility with version 4.2.4 (or higher) of the 1Password extension is to disable automatic extension updates and download/install version 4.2.3. Direct link:

1Password-4.2.3.xpi

I hope that helps and wish I had a better solution to offer right now.

• xor
    xor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks sjk, this is what I did. However, when it comes to protecting the most critical information, passwords, it is not very good not being able to keep the 1Password plugin current. Firefox ESR on the other hand is kept current by Mozilla.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @xor,

Your extension data is not stored within the extension nor is it being decrypted by the extension. All of that is handled by the 1Password mini, so if there is a security risk, we will simply update 1Password mini and block any connections coming from the outdated extension version.

However, the whole point of ESR is to minimize changes to Firefox and the extension is not going to change either.

Unfortunately, right now, we do not support ESR builds officially until we come up with a way to offer two separate channels for 1Password, which is something we do not have right now. We are planning to do something for this in the future.

• OceanWind
    OceanWind
    Community Member
    Options

I can't get 1password 4.2.4 to load with Firefox 28 on a Mac. Just became aware of how much I rely on 1password to deal with logins. Using the app (search, copy, paste) is very laborious.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

B

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Please see this post. You need either to use the 4.2.3 extension or to update Firefox.

Stephen

• lozza
    lozza
    Community Member
    Options

Went back to 1P4 - 4.0.0.499 because FF 24.7.0 esr with add-on 4.2.3
    Big Thanks to vg · ✭

Grey 1P icon back on task bar.

Some of us cannot move with FF speed and have to stay with esr .
    Get - "latest" version blah blah blah . . . spare a thought for those that may want to and are not be able to.
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.