Multiple Vaults - Points of Friction

Options
gmgodwin
gmgodwin
Community Member

First off, let me say that I love 1Password. It's made life a lot easier—and a lot more secure—over the years that I've been using it. You guys clearly put a ton of effort into this app, and the steady stream of refinements and new features make it ever more powerful and useful. So, just know that I'm only pointing these things out for feedback and consideration. This is not a hostile complaint. :-)

I've started using multiple vaults recently, and I find it to be a very useful feature. But, I've run into a couple of issues in using them that slow me down.

• I use Alfred 2 to drive a lot of what I do on my Mac, and for a long time now I've been using it to launch 1Password bookmarks/logins. That is incredibly useful, but it doesn't seem to work with multiple vaults. I've divided my primary vault into a personal and a work vault so that I can share them with my wife and my colleagues, respectively. From what I can tell, the integration with Alfred only works with the primary vault, but I could be wrong. I've checked the advanced preference box in each of my auxiliary vaults to allow integration with third-party apps, but that doesn't seem to work; they don't show up in my Alfred searches. Am I missing something here, or is it impossible to integrate auxiliary vaults with apps like Alfred?

• Because of the problem I'm having with Alfred, I've started using the option-command-\ command to call up 1Password mini to search for and launch my logins. Sometimes when I call up 1Pm and start typing my search term, I realize that I'm in the wrong vault, so I use the keyboard shortcut to switch to the proper vault. When I do that, however, the search box is cleared and I have to start again. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice if the search box would be saved (maybe have the contents cut and then repasted after switching vaults) so that once I switch vaults, the results would show up.

I gather from other discussion threads that multiple vaults are a work in progress, so I'm not pushing for these things to be fixed. It would be awesome if they were to be resolved eventually, so I just wanted to make you all aware of them.

Thanks!
Greg

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Greg ( @gmgodwin‌ ),

Thanks so much for your kind words about 1Password! It's always so great to hear from users who love 1Password so much that they're keen to see it get even better. Your feedback here is much appreciated.

From what I can tell, the integration with Alfred only works with the primary vault, but I could be wrong. I've checked the advanced preference box in each of my auxiliary vaults to allow integration with third-party apps, but that doesn't seem to work; they don't show up in my Alfred searches. Am I missing something here, or is it impossible to integrate auxiliary vaults with apps like Alfred?

Unfortunately, you're not missing anything here. Currently, Alfred integration is only available for the primary vault. I've spoken with our developers (some of them avid Alfred users as well), and this is definitely on our improvement list. I've added a vote for you to the existing request in our internal tracker.

ref: OPM-432

Sometimes when I call up 1Pm and start typing my search term, I realize that I'm in the wrong vault, so I use the keyboard shortcut to switch to the proper vault. When I do that, however, the search box is cleared and I have to start again.

It would be wonderful if 1Password Mini would remember your search terms after switching vaults. I've run into this a few times myself, and it is a bit annoying, to say the least. I've filed an improvement request in our issue tracker.

ref: OPM-2102

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts. You're right, there's definitely room for improvement with multiple vaults still. We appreciate your patience as we work to make this feature the best it can be!

Please do let us know if you notice anything else we could polish up. :)

• gmgodwin
    gmgodwin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply, Megan. I'm glad to know that I hadn't overlooked anything, and hopefully we'll all benefit from these features sometime in the future. Looking forward to it! (Just to clarify: I realize that you weren't promising anything in your response. I'm just being optimistic.) :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Greg ( @gmgodwin‌ )

There's certainly nothing wrong with a healthy dose of optimism!

This discussion has been closed.