1Password 4 Not Autolocking Browser Extensions

Options

I am finding that I don't need to enter the master password to use 1Password 4 in the browser (Chrome primarily), even if it has been hours since the last time I used the computer. I have the following settings checked under Security Preferences in the main app and I don't see any settings available in the browser extension. What am I missing?

• Lock after 5 minutes
  • Lock when your computer is locked
  • Lock when screen saver is activated
  • Lock when main window is closed

I hope I'm missing something because this is a pretty big issue.

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @JeffCC,

That's definitely not good, we'll help you fix this. This isn't an issue that affects everybody, that much I can confirm for you as we rarely have gotten any reports of it nor can we reproduce this.

1. Can you tell me what version of Windows, Chrome, and 1Password extension you have installed in Chrome?
    2. What about the main program itself, does it auto-lock on its own and do you have universal unlock turned on?
    3. Can you reproduce the problem in Internet Explorer?
  • JeffCC
    JeffCC
    Community Member
    Options

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Update 1
    Chrome 36.0.1985.143 m
    1Password Extension 4.2.4.90
    1Password 4.0.1.503

I have two computers with the same versions shown above and I have this issue on both. I confirmed the issue in IE as well. The 1Password icon in the TaskBar shows unlocked, even after waiting 30 minutes. The 1Password application itself locks after 5 minutes, as expected.

• JeffCC
    JeffCC
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, that didn't format very well. Here are the versions again:

• Windows 8.1 64-bit, Update 1

• Chrome 36.0.1985.143 m

• 1Password Extension 4.2.4.90

• 1Password 4.0.1.503

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @JeffCC,

Can you show me the settings you have for Security and Browsers in the 1Password's Preferences. It'd be easier if you take a screenshot of both and then upload it here.

I'm running the same setup as yours and I'm not able to reproduce it, both auto-locks on their own. I want to try to replicate your settings in 1Password and see if I can get it to break the auto-lock.

Thanks!

• JeffCC
    JeffCC
    Community Member
    Options

Here you go. Thanks for your help!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @JeffCC,

Just in case we have an interference or a bug in the logic, can you check Universal Unlock option in the Browsers section of 1Password's Preferences and press OK. Once you do that, go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper, and restart your browser.

Lock both the main 1Password program and your extension. To lock the extension, click on the 1Password icon in the browser to select Lock or you can right-click on 1Password in the system tray area to select Lock.

Now, unlock and test the auto-lock, is it better or nothing changed?

Also, can you tell me which anti-malware solution you may have installed on your PC?

• JeffCC
    JeffCC
    Community Member
    Options

Seems to be working now. I did the following:

• checked the Universal Unlock option
    • set the lock period to 1 minute (to make testing faster)
    • restarted 1Password Helper
    • Locked and then closed the 1Password application

After one minute, the tray icon locked. This computer is a corporate system and has McAfee Antivirus Enterprise 8.8 as well as the McAfee Agent and Host Intrusion Protection module. I will return to this thread if I witness the issue again and I will monitor in case you have any debugging tests you want me to run.

Thanks for your help!

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @JeffCC,

As far as we can tell, McAfee hasn't been a problem for 1Password but a McAfee update might've changed this.

To narrow down this issue, try unchecking the Universal Unlock option and see if it still works. If it does, then that probably wasn't the cause.

Thanks for hanging in there for us!

• JeffCC
    JeffCC
    Community Member
    Options

I unchecked Universal Unlock and restarted the helper and it still works. I didn't know about that Restart 1Password Helper option - my guess is restarting the helper reset whatever was causing the issue, but let me know if there is anything else you want me to try to reproduce the issue. Thanks again!

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @JeffCC,

Do you recall if you restarted your PC when you were having this issue? If you did, restarting Helper would be the same impact as restarting the PC.

I'm not sure what else would cause this since you undid the Universal Unlock option. I'd suggest changing your auto-lock timer back to 5 minutes and then just use your computer as if nothing have changed. If everything is still working fine, then we can assume it may have an isolated glitch.

If it does happen again, please let us know!

This discussion has been closed.