Printing in 1Password for Windows [No support for now]

Options
Ixofje
Ixofje
Community Member
edited August 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,

i recently switched from KeePass to 1Password and it seems like there is no option to print out my saved Passwords.

Will this feature be added soon or is there an alternative to get my passes onto paper?

Thank you,

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Ixofje,

If you need it printed out right now, you can export your Logins via CSV (File Menu > Export) and print it out like that. Be extra careful with what you do with the export file and secure delete it after you finish the printout.

Right now, we don't have printing. We want to add it in the future but we're trying to figure out the best way to handle this.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    Options

Why can't I print anything from 1Password 4 for Windows. If I reformat the hard drive I'll lose everything in the password vault including the backups since they are all stored in the Documents\1Password folder.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

You should always backup your data to at least one external drive. If you're keeping your data on a internal hard drive only, you're asking for trouble. A hard drive can crash at any time, be formated by accident, and the whole computer can be stolen or destroyed by fire, dropped on the floor etc. If you have enabled syncing of 1Password data then the Dropbox server can wipe your data not just from the cloud but also your local copy of it (although not 1Password's backup folder).

One thing is certain, computer hardware will not last forever.

That being said, I think you can export your 1Password data to an unencrypted format and then print the resulting file.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @KeithWeisshar‌,

I merged your thread with the other thread that asked the same question about the printing support. I've answered it in #2 post above.

Keep in mind that you should be backing up your files elsewhere when you format your drives, not just 1Password data but any personal data, there should be at least three backups, two local copies and one remote. You can generally get away with two local but we don't recommend it.

By keeping a copy of the data file, you're keeping it encrypted, something that a printout can't help with. Note that 1PasswordAnywhere is a part of the agilekeychain file, so you don't need the 1Password app to read your data if you connect it to another computer that's not yours.

Even printouts can be lost but if you're willing to protect it by putting it in a fireproof safe or something like that, you'd be better off doing the same thing by putting a copy of your data file on a small USB drive and put it in the safe. At least, you'd be able to quickly get back into 1Password with this file.

There's also the 1Password emergency kit that you can check out.

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member
    Options

I use printing to review and edit as well as archive.
    not having it done gracefully in a fiddley roundabout trail of nutso exports is not exactly helpful.
    and opens security vulnerabilities
    It is useful to printout and review as a collage of screen fields that are only partially visible without scrolling is a nuisance

Not meaning to be snarky but it is good to review the whole file/folder/item without scrolling

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That "fiddly roundabout trail of nutso exports":

1. Choose File > Export.
    2. Select All Login items and CSV.
    3. Specify where to save the file.

Whew! :)

Once you've exported your Login items to a CSV file, you can open it and format it as you like for printing.

This discussion has been closed.