Why are there two separate sets of data for Agile Web Solutions and AgileBits [Diff versions of 1P]

Options
KeithWeisshar
KeithWeisshar
Community Member
edited August 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Why are there two registry entries and two AppData folders called Agile Web Solutions and AgileBits for 1Password 4 for Windows.

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @KeithWeisshar‌,

The Agile Web Solutions is from the previous version of 1Password 1.x for Windows while the AgileBits is for the new 1Password 4 for Windows program. Agile Web Solutions was our previous company name and at the time 1Password 1.x for Windows was being developed, that was still the name we were using.

Since 1Password 4 is a separate program, it doesn't overwrite the previous settings and you can install it alongside of 1Password 1.x to try it.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

I never had the previous version of 1Password. I bought 1Password 4 as a new customer on Friday. The Agile Web Solutions folder is created but left completely empty. 1Password 4 still uses the old Agile Web Solutions registry location for AutoSave, AutoSubmit and Proxy, why don't you use the new AgileBits registry locations for these entries?

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @KeithWeisshar,

Huh, we might have a bug in our code then. Thank you for bringing this up, I'll test this in a clean machine, and see what's going on. If it happens there as well, we'll fix it in a future update.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @KeithWeisshar‌,

I just want to let you know, I can see it in a clean machine as well. I'll file a bug report to see if we can stop that.

Thanks again!

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Does this bug affect iOS and Mac as well?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @KeithWeisshar‌,

I'm not sure what you mean, there is no registry on Mac or iOS. The iOS apps are self-contained, so it can't leave any files outside of its container and 1Password 4 for Mac uses its own separate folder from 1Password 3 as well but it should be fairly clean.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you mean, there is no registry on Mac or iOS. The iOS apps are self-contained, so it can't leave any files outside of its container and 1Password 4 for Mac uses its own separate folder from 1Password 3 as well but it should be fairly clean.

There may not be a registry but if the setting storage location was named by the company name then there might be a similar issue. Where are app settings stored on the Mac anyway?

As for iOS there's got to be some separation of executable code from user settings, else you'd leave the app vulnerable to tampering. Of course, in that environment I'd guess you store settings against the application ID so the company name probably isn't involved.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As for iOS there's got to be some separation of executable code from user settings

In iOS, apps are sandboxed and the settings are in a sub-directory named "Documents". This why when you delete the executable, you also delete the user settings. If you want to restore your settings, then you'll need to restore a recent iTunes backup.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Does BETA-507 still use the old Agile Web Solutions folder or registry for some settings or is this issue fixed?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @KeithWeisshar‌,

No, we haven't fixed this. We'll have it mentioned in the changelog the moment we do.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Does BETA-507 still use the old Agile Web Solutions folder or registry for some settings

Yes it does. Some settings (such as Auto-Save and Auto-Submit, for example) are shared by both the old and the new version. That's why.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    Options

Does BETA-508 still share the old Agile Web Solutions folder?

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    Options

BETA-508 still expires at the end of this month.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Does BETA-508 still share the old Agile Web Solutions folder?

Version 4 shares a few registry settings (such as Auto-Save and Auto-Submit) with the older version. This is by design.

BETA-508 still expires at the end of this month

All our beta versions expire within a month.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Does Version 4 also share the old %APPDATA%\Agile Web Solutions folder as well as the registry? This folder is empty.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Does version 4 also share the old %APPDATA%\Agile Web Solutions folder?

No.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    Options

Why is the old Application Data folder in the previous post still created on new install of Version 4?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Why is the old Application Data folder in the previous post still created on new install of Version 4?

It shouldn't.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    Options

When I did a clean install of the latest stable version it did create the %APPDATA%\Agile Web Solutions folder on the first run of the app.

• KeithWeisshar
    KeithWeisshar
    Community Member
    Options

Actually the old %APPDATA%\Agile Web Solutions directory is created when I first open the License Key entry window before entering the license key. Can you please fix this. The license is saved to the new AgileBits folder after validating the correct key, not the old Agile Web Solutions folder. The new AgileBits folder is created when I first launch the program and then the old Agile Web Solutions folder is created when I first initiate the process of entering or pasting the license key.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@KeithWeisshar‌ Fixed in 4.0.2.BETA-512

This discussion has been closed.