ImageShack problems using 1Password

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member
edited November 2010 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Won't insert username password
When I go to the ImageShack site (http://imageshack.us/) and attempt to log in, a little window pops up where you enter your username and password. Clicking on [1P] -> Fill & Submit ImageShack, it doesn't work. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, flickr has the same issues. It pops up another window for your login.

Thanks

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Welcome to the forums, ajahn!

I'm sorry that you're having this problem. Please try saving the login manually like this:

1. Enter your username and password, but DO NOT submit the form.
    2. Click the 1Password button in your browser's toolbar, and choose Save Login.
    3. Set the Action field to Create New Login (or to Replace <login-name>, to update an existing Login item).
    4. Click the Save button.

Using the above technique I was able to save and fill a sample login in Safari at:

http://imageshack.us/

Manually saving a login can be useful for logins that are either problematic to begin with or were once working but have since stopped. Doing this allows 1Password to refresh everything it "knows" about the page. Login pages often change as websites are updated and this can be a necessary but very useful tip. :-)

One thing that is important with the ImageShack login is that you need to click "Login" to make the username and password fields visible on the site before 1Password will fill them.

To fill a login in a pop-up window without the toolbar visible, press ⌘\ on your keyboard. ;-)

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    Thanks khad.

I tried what you suggested. Then I went back and tried 1Password, and it did something odd. It plugged in my password a the user id, and not sure what what in the password field since it was hidden. Here is a screen shot, My password starts with the letter 'v'. I'm attaching a screen shot. Then I went into 1Password app and looked at that entry. In the user id field it had "Search", and the password was ok. I manually changed the word "Search" to my actual user id, and the problem was still there.

Could it be that the prompt for id is actually "Email:"? This is happening in both Safari and Firefox.

Thanks
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    My apologies. In my haste to promptly respond to your post, I neglected to confirm exactly what was being filled in the form. :S

You correctly state that the password is being filled in both fields. Unfortunately, ImageShack is not using a [font="Monaco, monospace"]name[/font] attribute for either form field.

Try editing the login to look like this:

ImageShack.png

That is, only have two fields: username and password (both with no field name and set properly as the username and password values with the checkmark). Set the Submit value to "Never." You will have to manually submit the form but filling works well.

I hope that helps. Cheers! :-D
  • ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    This is what my entry looks like:

ipass.png

When I click on the "Display" item, I don't see one that says "Never". I have the following options:

1pass2.png

I still get the password entered into the userid field on the ImageShack page.

Thanks
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The Submit value. ;-)

Change the Submit value from "If Autosubmit is ON" to "Never."
  • ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    edited December 2010
    khad wrote:

That is, only have two fields: username and password (both with no field name and set properly as the username and password values with the checkmark). Set the Submit value to "Never." You will have to manually submit the form but filling works well.

Ok, its getting better but still now working. This time I get my username filled in correctly, but when I click OK I get an authentication error. Since I can't see what it put in the password field, I believe it is not putting in my correct password. Any other suggestions?

This is what my settings look like now:

1pass3.png
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Ack. I'm terribly sorry, but I think some changes that we made in form filling between the version of 1Password that was out at the beginning of this thread and now have adversely affected the ImageShack login. We are working to resolve this, though it would be easier if ImageShack actually named their fields in the code. ;-)

Again, I'm sorry I don't have a better response right now, but this is definitely on our radar!
  • ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Ack. I'm terribly sorry, but I think some changes that we made in form filling between the version of 1Password that was out at the beginning of this thread and now have adversely affected the ImageShack login. We are working to resolve this, though it would be easier if ImageShack actually named their fields in the code. ;-)

Again, I'm sorry I don't have a better response right now, but this is definitely on our radar!

Great, glad I found it so you can fix it :-)

I love 1Password. Great product. I've been telling everyone about it!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the kind words to (and about) 1Password! It means the world to us. :-)

And thanks for the feedback which helps us make 1Password even better!
  • ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Thanks for the kind words to (and about) 1Password! It means the world to us. :-)

And thanks for the feedback which helps us make 1Password even better!

I'm a software developer so I understand. Keep up the good work!
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    ajahn wrote:

I'm a software developer so I understand. Keep up the good work!

That's one of our goals: to make great software that customers hardly even know is there it works so well. It's always nice to hear from our customers that we're on track.
  • Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    edited February 2011
    Any update on getting 1P to work with imageshack? been almost 2 months since the last reply.

Curious if you have tried asking imageshack's support to properly label their input fields.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I have not personally contacted Imageshack as I do not use their service. It would probably be more persuasive if a large number of their users contacted them directly rather than just one company. :-)

That being said, we have been making great strides improving form filling on a wide number of sites, and Imageshack is still one site for which we hope to improve form filling and saving in a future update. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but it has not been forgotten.

With millions of websites out there that are all coded differently, it is very difficult to get 1Password to fill in data on all of them perfectly. With that said, we're excited to tackle this very difficult problem, and form filling is something that we are constantly working to improve.
  • Smudge
    Smudge
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

I have not personally contacted Imageshack as I do not use their service. It would probably be more persuasive if a large number of their users contacted them directly rather than just one company.

I'll be happy to ask. Can you give me the details of what to ask them to add/change to their login page? I'm not a web developer so I have no idea how that backend stuff works. Perhaps write up a template that all the users can copy/paste and email to any site that isn't working properly.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If they simply added name attributes to their form fields things should work well, but we also have some tricks up our sleeves. It will be a race to see if they "out-agile" us or not. :-)
  • Hello to all,

are there any news about this matter?
    I am trying to set 1password to login automatically in imageshack but without success
    Someone of you has found a solution?

@ Khad: any news about development of 1password to make it compatible with imageshack access? the first post is of 4 months ago and you said that you want to fix this thing but never has changed
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, ajalro!

It would appear that ImageShack has not, in fact, "out-agiled" us. They still have the exact same code on their site. :S

The good news is that form filling works very well in our Chrome extension which is using 1Password's very latest code. I don't have a time frame right now for when we will be porting the code to our Safari and Firefox extensions but that is our plan.

If you want to try out 1Password's Chrome extension, I would love to know if you have similar success.

Thanks!
  • Hi Khad,

with chrome extension:
    for every web site saved in 1password: I click on the key icon in the toolbar extension of chrome, I select a website among all of them saved in 1password, automatically the website homepage is opened, login data are filled in and login is executed, I'm logged in

for imageshack saved in 1password: I click on the key icon in the toolbar extension of chrome, I select imageshack saved in 1password, automatically I'm redirected to imageshack homepage and...STOP.
    If I click on login in imageshack, the little popup window is opened, then I click on 1password icon on toolbar extension of chrome, and all data are filled in automatically, but STOP, even in this case the "OK" for the login must be manual

So, also with chrome the working of 1password is not automatic as for the other website...
    Is there something to modify in the 1password preferences for imageshack?

thanks
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunately, the code ImageShack is using causes us a lot of pain since they do not use proper HTML forms. Go & Fill may never work since they are "hiding" the login when the page is loaded and not using proper forms. You will need to click the link to make the login panel pop up. :-(

A site that uses this sort of "click to reveal login panel" in a standards-compliant way is Twitter. Go & Fill works just fine to reveal and fill the login on Twitter's home page. ImageShack should steal their login form code. :lol:

We will see if we can get autosubmit working here, but it is not a simple task.

The important thing is that ⌘\ will fill the login when it is visible on the screen, then it is only a matter of clicking the "OK" button. :-)

I hope that helps (if even a little bit). I think Dave was nearly driven to insanity even to get this far with such an … interestingly coded … site. :x
  • jaknudsen
    jaknudsen
    Community Member
    This really sounds like an ImageShack problem, you could try to ask them about it here: http://getsatisfaction.com/imageshack
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, jaknudsen, and thanks for that link. Perhaps some ImageShack users will persuade them. :-D
  • milkywaif
    milkywaif
    Community Member
    This works:

imgsue.jpg
  • Hey milkywaif,

Thanks for posting your field details. I hope your info helps.

Cheers!

Brandt
This discussion has been closed.