Autosubmit not working

This is an obscure question I think, but I post more out of curiosity.

I am going on a cruise with Holland America and I set up a log in for the excursions page

https://book.hollandamerica.com/fe/secondaryBooking.action

1Password was unable to automatically create a log-in so I created one using the "Save Login..." feature.

I must enter the booking number and my last name on this page, then click the Start button.

When I use the 1Password entry to take me to this page and log me it, it does take me to the page, it does enter the two pieces of info, but does not click the Start button. If I click the Start button, everything is fine.

Now I don't expect 1Password to fix every obscure web site that doesn't work with 1Password. My question is

1) Why in general do some sites note work (probably a FAQ somewhere on this - I am just curious to know

and

2) Can I view source and from that manually enter an action in the 1Password entry so 1Password will "click" the start button.

Really not a big hassle, just very curiosu.

Bryan

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2010
    Bryan,

Thanks for asking! :-)

We do have a couple of documents as part of our Frequently Asked Questions section, which may help explain the situation.

Please see the "JavsScript Interference" section of the "Website Login Issues" page.

One of the primary causes of form submission trouble is a form that uses an image or link with a JavaScript [font="Monaco, monospace"]onclick[/font] event associated rather than a standard form "Submit" button (which can actually be styled using CSS to look identical to the [font="Monaco, monospace"]onclick[/font] hack). There really isn't an excuse for this except lazy web developers. :-(

This is actually exactly what is going on with the Holland America Line form. You can search the source code for onclick and see for yourself. There is not actually a standard form "Submit" button on the page. The only reference to "submit" in the page's source is within some JavaScript code: [font="Monaco, monospace"]form.submit();[/font]

Unfortunately, there really is not much that can be done at this point short of manually clicking the button since the page is looking for a literal "click" and not just a standard form submission. The good news is that we are constantly working on improving form filling and submission. In fact, our Chrome extension (which includes a ground-up rewrite of our form filling code) actually submits the form without a hitch. :-)

We will be bringing all the improvements from the Chrome extension to all of our extensions in a future update.

I hope that helps. :-D

Further reading for you or anyone else coming across this thread via search:
    "Unable to Create/Save a Login When Using Adobe Flash"
    "Why Does the Autosave Login Window Not Appear?"
This discussion has been closed.