Prompt for password even with all Auto-Lock options disabled

Options
merhault
merhault
Community Member
edited August 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Rather frustrating when I chose to remove all the Auto-Lock options but I still get prompted every now and then to enter my Master Password when using the Chrome extension. What could that be happening? Using Windows 8.1 x64 Update 1 and Chrome Extension 4.2.4.90

Also, why is the Lock when main window is closed option greyed out for me?

Thank you,

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @merhault,

These options you turned off means that 1Password will not auto-lock while it is running. In other words, if you close the program, it will be locked regardless of these options. You need to have at least one 1Password process running to keep your data unlocked.

To keep your extension unlocked longer, you'd want the 1Password Helper (a separate process from the main 1Password program) running all the time and you can do that by checking the option to show 1Password icon in the system tray/notification area. That way, closing the main program does not lock the extension.

To do this:

1. Open the main 1Password program, unlock, and press the Preferences button on the toolbar
    2. Go to the General section and check the option Show 1Password icon in notification area
    3. Go to the Browsers section and check Universal Unlock as well, so that when you unlock the main program, the extension is also unlocked.

That should keep 1Password running unlocked for a long time.

Also, why is the Lock when main window is closed option greyed out for me?

That's because you had 1Password configured not to show 1Password Helper in the notification area. That means once you close 1Password, your data will already be locked since there is no one process keeping it unlocked.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Even with the show in notification area and universal unlock settings turned on, you'll need to remember to close the main app with the cross button at the top right of the window. This will mean that the app doesn't actually close when the window closes. If you close the app using Alt-F4 or File > Exit then it will actually terminate and when you next open it you will need to enter your master password again.

• MikeT
    Options

Great point, thanks @RichardPayne!

• merhault
    merhault
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks guys!

This discussion has been closed.