Browser extension: Disable context menu in Chrome

Options
John Manoogian III
John Manoogian III
Community Member

Hi, can I disable the 1Password context menu (the menu that appears when right-clicking on a web page) in Google Chrome?

I'd like to remove the item from the menu but I don't see anything in 1P's Browser settings or Advanced settings to do so.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! At this time it is not possible to remove 1Password from the browser's context menu. Thanks for letting us know that you're interested in such a feature though. :)

• John Manoogian III
    John Manoogian III
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. But the 1Password context menu serves no discernible purpose.

Most users press the CMD-\ key to activate 1Password; the users who insist on using a mouse can click the extension icon.

FYI, toggling the context menu is a standard feature in other Chrome extensions. Here's the options screen from the Stylebot extension, which lets you hide the context menu:

screenshot

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi John,

Thanks again for the feedback! I'll pass your thoughts along to our developers. :)

• sergiu
    sergiu
    Community Member
    Options

I've come here by searching for an option to disable the context menu as well. This is a feature request dating from at least 2011 and so far I see no step forward... Is there an option to remove the context menu entry, without installing additional context menu editing extensions? Thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sergiu,

I'm afraid there's currently no option to remove 1Password from the browser's context menu. I wish I had a better answer for you about that! I can certainly send your request to our developers, although I can't make any promises. We do appreciate the feedback!

• mattm591
    mattm591
    Community Member
    Options

Also found this (and several similar requests) when looking for a way to remove 1Password from the context menu in Safari/Chrome.

I use the context menu a LOT and as has been pointed out by others, the most annoying part is the icon! Being the only thing in the context menu with an icon makes it stick out like a sore thumb!

So could you at the very least remove the unnecessary icon - and then make the context menu optional!

In the past you've argued that you don't use the context menu much so it doesn't bother you. That's fine. I use it a lot so it bothers me a lot. if it's not something you consider much used, why even put it there at all?

It's well over 4 years since this was first requested, and it's not a complex change - it's a toggle (or save time and scrap it entirely!).

I really hate context menu bloat and remove all the crap that apps add - this being specific to the browser extensions it appears to be impossible for a user to control without developer co-operation - so please can you make it possible to clean away this unnecessary entry!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattm591,

Thanks so much for your feedback about this, we really do appreciate it! I'm sorry the 1Password browser context menu option (and its icon) have been such a nuisance for you.

Being the only thing in the context menu with an icon makes it stick out like a sore thumb!

Although the normal, default menu items there don't have icons, it's not unusual for items from third party software to have icons there (for example, I also have Evernote installed, which has a browser context menu option with an icon). But it sounds like 1Password is the only one with an icon on your Mac, so I can see how that would stick out and seem unusual to you.

So could you at the very least remove the unnecessary icon - and then make the context menu optional!

I'll be happy to send your comments to our developers, although I can't make any promises about if/when something like that would be implemented. Hopefully we'll be able to do something like that in a future version!

In the past you've argued that you don't use the context menu much so it doesn't bother you. That's fine. I use it a lot so it bothers me a lot. if it's not something you consider much used, why even put it there at all?

Personally, I use the context menu in browsers a lot (though perhaps not as much as you) and I honestly don't even notice 1Password listed there. But obviously you do notice it, and I'm really sorry it bothers you so much!

As for the reason it's there at all, that's basically because back in 1Password 3, it used to list Login items in the top level of the contextual menu, so many customers found that useful. When we released 1Password 4, we completely redesigned the 1Password extension, and as a result of that, the context menu item doesn't have the same functionality. However, the menu item was kept around to provide something for users who were used to using it back in version 3.

It's well over 4 years since this was first requested, and it's not a complex change - it's a toggle (or save time and scrap it entirely!).

I'm not a developer, so I can't say for sure how difficult it would be to add settings for that. There's a good chance it's not as easy as it might seem, but hopefully you're correct that it won't be too complex of a change. Honestly, we don't hear about this feature very often at all, and since it isn't causing technical issues, I imagine it hasn't been given the highest priority. But like I said, I'll let our developers know it is very annoying to you, and hopefully we'll be able to do something about that.

Again, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about that! We love that we have customers who are passionate enough about things like this that they take the time to let us know. :)

ref: OPM-3239

• leek
    leek
    Community Member
    Options

Bump.

I found this thread while searching for a way to disable 1Password's useless context menu item that is added by installing the Chrome browser extension. I also stumbled across these other instances of the same (or similar) request:

1Password 4 Browser Extension - Disable Context Menu (Sept. 2013)
    Hide Chrome extension right-click context menu item (Nov. 2013)
    Remove From Firefox Context Menu (Jun. 2015)

This isn't just a case of the menu item being "annoying" - it is also utterly useless and an invalid use of a context menu item!

When right-clicking on a website (or website element specifically) - the context menu is displayed. On this menu, are items that take action within the context of what you've clicked on. Take a look at this example; where I have selected the word "customers" from your post above and right clicked on it:

Notice that I can: Copy, Search Google, Print, or Look up in Dictionary the text. I can also Inspect Element to view the raw HTML code that renders my selection.

Lastly, I can 1Password the text (which doesn't actually do anything with the selected text -- it just opens 1Password).

Do you see how this doesn't make any sense?

Most quality extensions give a simple setting/option to disable these kind of context menu items.
    That is all I (and others) are requesting here.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @leek,

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! I apologize for the annoyance, and I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to our team.

• aleskroutil
    aleskroutil
    Community Member
    Options

I’d love to see that button disappear as well. Is there any progress on passing it to developers?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aleskroutil,

Thanks for letting us know! This request has already been passed to our developers, but I don't have any news on if/when the browser context menu option for 1Password will be removed or changed. As I mentioned earlier in this discussion, we don't hear about this very often, and it isn't causing any technical problems as far as I know, so this request probably doesn't have as high a priority as many other things our developers are busy working on. I suspect they'll do something about that context menu option sooner or later, but I just don't have any idea when.

Sorry I don't have any news about that! If you need anything else, please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.