1PasswordAnywhere/Dropbox sync

Options
warringtonmcfc
warringtonmcfc
Community Member
edited August 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello

Anyone else having issues with this over the past few days? Worked fine last week but now seems to have stopped working. Tried it on my windows PC using Chrome (I know about the extra command line required) and also on my Mac using Safari and no joy.

Dropbox sync itself seems to be working fine.

Will work through some of the suggested fixes but wondered if it was a known issue at the moment (I've seen elsewhere that issues arise peridoically with Dropbox syncing).

Thanks

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @warringtonmcfc‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1PasswordAnywhere lately. Could you give us a few more details on where things are getting tangled up? Are you seeing an error message? If so, letting us know what that error message says would be really helpful. :)

• warringtonmcfc
    warringtonmcfc
    Community Member
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hello - apologies - thought I had put details in! It's

"Problem loading 1Password data file

A key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it.

Please see this help guide for troubleshooting tips."

When I click on the key data hyperlink I get a huge message:-

[removed]

• Hi @warringtonmcfc,

Are you trying to access 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website (Dropbox.com), or your local file system?

Thanks in advance for the additional info!

• warringtonmcfc
    warringtonmcfc
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Jasper.

I was accessing it locally. I have just tried accessing via the Dropbox website and it works.

What does that suggest? Just to confirm I am using Chrome on a Windows system and have added the command line in relation to allowing access to local files (which has meant it has worked fine previously).

Thanks

Paul

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Paul ( @warringtonmcfc‌ )

Since it seems like we're talking about a Windows system here, I've moved your post into the 1Password 4 for Windows forum.

First of all, I just want to warn you that we don't recommend lowering browser security by adding that command-line attribute. Could you do me a favour and try accessing the keychain locally via Safari in Windows - does it work properly here?

I'm also curious as to why you are attempting to access the keychain locally when you do have access to it via the Dropbox website? Since browsers have been increasing their security and restricting local file access, accessing 1PasswordAnywhere via the Dropbox website is a much more reliable option.

• warringtonmcfc
    warringtonmcfc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan

I've tried the local access on Safari on my Mac and it doesn't work on there either (it did previously).

So not sure why it's stopped working on both Safari (Mac) and Chrome (Windows) at the same time.

However, it seems to work fine on both accessing the file directly from the Dropbox website. The only downside of that is you obviously can't access that when you need a password when you are offline but I can probably live with that but if you've any ideas on why local file access has suddenly stopped working (Mac and PC) I'd be interested to hear!

I'm a new convert and I think the product is excellent by the way!

Thanks

Paul

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Paul ( @warringtonmcfc‌ ),

The issue is basically that modern browsers have local file restrictions. It used to be easier to get around those restrictions, but as Megan mentioned, browsers have been increasing their security and restricting local file access. The command line to disable local file restrictions in Chrome may no longer work. You should still be able to do this in Safari for Mac, but you'll need to enable the Develop menu (from Preferences > Advanced) and choose the option from that menu to Disable Local File Restrictions.

Do you have 1Password installed on your Mac and/or Windows computers? If so, they can access your data when you're offline, so you wouldn't need to use 1PasswordAnywhere.

• warringtonmcfc
    warringtonmcfc
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Drew

I've got it installed on my mac but not on my windows machine (it's a work one and so not allowed to install our own software).

Thanks for your help with the above.

Paul

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @warringtonmcfc‌,

I tested the latest Chrome version on Windows 8 with this command switch: --allow-file-access-from-files, it works fine for me.

You might want to remove the switch, save it and save it again with it. You do need admin rights to add this switch.

• warringtonmcfc
    warringtonmcfc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike

This discussion has been closed.