Standalone Chrome & Firefox extensions

Options

Hi there,

are there any plans for standalone plugins for Chrome and Firefox (the most used browsers in Europe)?
For I'm on a Network Terminal at my workplace there is now way to install the whole 1Password. From Lastpass I'm used to only install the plugin and use my data. Are there any plans to a similar plans for a situation where I install at home 1Password with Dropbox and when I'm abroad or at my company to use only a browser extension without having to install the whole program on another computer? For even when I have the Android version to copy the fields manually to the computer, some passwords are so long and have special characters it would be a mess filling it manually from the smartphone to the computer browsers field.

Thanks

Klaus

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@macKlaus, thanks for your question! As far as I'm aware, there are no plans to create a standalone 1Password browser extension that works without the main 1Password program being installed on the computer. There are a lot of technical reasons for this, but here are a couple of main points:

• 1Password is not a web-based service. A web-based service stores your data somewhere on their servers, and a browser extension connects to their servers to access your data. 1Password never sends your password data to us, and by default all your data is stored locally on your computer, so the 1Password browser extension needs to connect to the 1Password program to access your data.

• We see web browsers as having a large attack surface and do as little cryptography as possible in JavaScript. And so we have designed 1Password so that our browser extension has very little access to data and performs only those operations that must be done in the browser.

However, there's an option that might be helpful for you. If you sync your 1Password data via Dropbox, then you can use a feature we call 1PasswordAnywhere, which allows you to view your 1Password data by logging into your Dropbox account from a web browser. We have information about how 1PasswordAnywhere works here:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-4-for-windows/4/en/topic/using-1passwordanywhere

• macKlaus
    macKlaus
    Community Member
    Options

I'll try it. Thank you for your answer!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem @macKlaus! Let us know if you have more questions about that.

This discussion has been closed.