QuickSilver Plugin IS AVAILABLE!! Is this safe to use?

m021478
m021478
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I've been waiting for a Quicksilver plugin like this one for quite some time now, but before I begin using it, I was hoping one of the tech gurus at AWS could verify that there is no malicious code embedded in this plug-in (that could potentially provide my private log-in details to an unintended third party).

Here's to hoping this is clean and able to be used for what I think it can be used for!

Sorry for the double post, but a bad post title (referenced QS instead of QuickSilver) on my first post resulted in a full day going by without even a single view, and I am dying to try this plug-in out!

Searching updates...1/21
[URL="javascript:void(0)"]close[/URL]

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    What would you consider malicious? The plugin uses undocumented mechanisms that we have assisted the author with in an unofficial capacity, and so it could break down at some point if we made changes under the hood. But other than that concern, it doesn't have the means to actually access any of your 1Password encrypted information -- just to your Titles and associated URLs. So could it keep a list or send off to some site some or all of this information: it *could*. Since the plugin is not developed by anyone here at Agile Web Solutions we don't have any way to keep the sources from being changed to do something like that but we have no reason to suspect the developer would do so and they were very generous to offer this to the community. Any assurances would have to come directly from the developer.
  • m021478
    m021478
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    That's good enough for me!

I've already tested it out a bit and I have to admit, it seems pretty amazing! (especially the fact that it can be used with the comma trick to open multiple web logins at once!
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I'm glad that the plugin is helpful to you! Be sure and thank the author and provide good feedback to them.
  • pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member
    edited June 2010
    Just seen this - glad you're enjoying the plugin :)

If you're worried about anything that may be in the plugin, you can view the source here: http://github.com/pjrobertson/1Password-Plugin
    You can also see my lengthy discussion with the Agile guys (as MartyS mentioned above) here: http://support.agilewebsolutions.com/showthread.php?21959-Developing-a-Quicksilver-Plugin-for-1Password/page2&highlight=quicksilver

- oh and on a further matter of security: the plugin doesn't actually look at any encrypted data in 1Password (since you don't give it your password). It just tells 1Password (and its browser extensions) to do things. To add more depth I could get the user to enter their 1Password, but I don't really want to go down that route because of the potential risks of making your data accessible by others.

There's gonna be a new release soon as I finish exams today - not going to have too many new features, but the ability to search all 1Password types and open them in 1Pwd (there's no equivalent to 'Go & Fill' for secure notes etc.)

As MartyS said;

If you have any ideas or feedback then let me know by submitting a bug report at GitHub or sending me a PM / Email.
    If you think it's worthwhile, feel free to donate and it'll encourage me to get developing! (No obligations of course - I feel everything should be free and easy for people to use; it's just a student looking for a beer :D)

My update will be online in the next few days. Keep an eye on MacUpdate, Twitter, or GitHub. Having said that. I'll post in here as well :)
  • m021478
    m021478
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    pjrobertson... YOU ARE THE MAN! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this QuickSilver Plugin together! Is there any way to be automatically notified of future releases?

Also, if you want to dramatically increase the number of people who actually use this plug-in, all you have to do is make sure that one of the major tech blogs out there gets word of it (i.e. lifehacker, TUAW, Macworld, MakeUseOf, DownloadSquad, etc...). Once one of them does a write up about it's release, they will all share the story, I guarantee it!
  • pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'll get in touch with... lifehacker I guess, since I like those guys :)

At the moment, there's no way of being notified of a new release - mainly since we still have no access to the original plugin site/system.
    I don't think it would be worth me putting in an update system just for the 1Password plugin.

Although I've got a rewrite of the QS update system in mind (since we can't use that either) and I could implement a new plugin updater. I've started on a simple web interface similar to what's shown in QS so you can see when new plugins are available, but I'll need to do a bit more work on it.
  • pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I've updated the plugin, and I'm posting here like I said I would :)

This is quite a big update, with lots of new features and a few major bug fixes.

The plugin can be downloaded from:

http://github.com/pjrobertson/1Password-Plugin

If you like it, do consider donating :)
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the update!
  • pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    A small bug was introduced (again!) for some users in v.0.9 so I've just released v.1.0

Enjoy :)
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks Patrick, and congrats again!

@m021478, while there isn't a way to exactly be directly notified, you could subscribe to this thread or the other one where Patrick is posting updates, and that would give you a good idea of when updates are made.
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I may seem unusually dense, but even though I'm a long-time 1P and QS user, I simply don't get how to use this plug-in (chalk it up to senility, if you like). Is there an explanation with some examples? I did read the pop-out for the plug-in on the QS plug-ins page.
  • pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    You can read a little more on the README here:

http://github.com/pjrobertson/1Password-Plugin

The plugin basically just indexes all your 1Password data (logins, secure notes, identities etc.) and allows you to open them directly from Quicksilver in 1Password. e.g. if you want to edit an entry or look something up.

Secondly, you can 'go and fill' your login data, just like what's possible from within the 1Password app itself. If you search for a login (e.g. support.agilewebsolutions.com) and 'go and fill' it'll take you to the forums here and automatically log you in (if you're not already logged it).
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for providing the additional info, Patrick. NovaScotian, thanks for giving it a go. Please let us know what you think about it. I was planning to try it this weekend, but had to make an out of town trip to see an ailing family member, so my QS machine is not with me. I'll get it installed when I get home though. Cheers!
  • NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    It works as advertised; I was simply making it too complex. I wish I could use much shorter tags to do it, but don't know (and don't see in the manual) how to add tags to a login item; all my items are in the untagged folder.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    …don't know (and don't see in the manual) how to add tags to a login item; all my items are in the untagged folder.

To add a tag to an item, edit it and click in the Tags field. After you've done this, you'll see the tag appear in your sidebar. To assign that tag to multiple items, select them and drag them onto the tag in your sidebar.*
    http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/tags.html

* I'm not sure about this answer. It's for the 1Password application, but I'm not sure that's what you're talking about. If you're talking about something specific to the QS UI, sorry for misunderstanding. =)
  • pjrobertson
    pjrobertson
    Community Member
    edited August 2010
    The tags idea is quite a good idea.

I've looked at the 1Password data files, and they are actually visible in plain text, so I'll have a look at either adding the tag information to each login so that you can search for them, or making 'folders' that you can drill down into from the 1Password.app for each tag.

[Edit]

Anyone wanting updates as to when new 1Password Quicksilver plugin versions are released, you can follow me on Twitter here:

http://twitter.com/p_j_r
This discussion has been closed.