1Password for Chrome changes?

frosty
frosty
Community Member
edited August 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Something happened to my Google Chrome installation on Windows 8.1 a couple of days ago that caused all of my plugins to reset. I've had to re-install them one by one.

The 1Password plugin now looks and operates differently than what I was using before. It's a clear step backward, so I suspect that it's not the latest version or something major has changed lately.

Is the installation at https://agilebits.com/browsers/index.html the lastest?

[L]

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @frosty,

Yes, that's the link to install the browser extension for 1Password 4 (i.e. the latest). I'm not sure why you'd be seeing such a difference unless you were previously using the version 3 extension. But the version 3 extension doesn't work with 1Password 4. Have you upgraded to 1Password 4 recently?

To make sure you're using the correct extension for your version of 1Password, launch the 1Password program and click Preferences, then select Browsers. Click the "Install" button next to the browser you want, then follow the steps on the site that opens.

• frosty
    frosty
    Community Member

Hi there,

I've had 1Password 4 installed for a while now. I just did as you suggested (launch 1Password and install the extension through that link), but the extension still looks and functions antiquated compared to the previous version.

I took a screenshot of the extension window once I click it within Chrome. Is that what the current version should look like?

[L]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @frosty,

Yes, that's definitely the new extension for 1Password 4. I'm sorry you don't like it as much as the older extension! Aside from the general UI, is there any specific feature from the old extension that doesn't seem to be in the new one?

• frosty
    frosty
    Community Member

So the UI in the extension has changed?

I definitely find the UI to be a big step back from what I've been using for a few months, beginning with how nicely searching for saved logins used to work. I could click the 1Password icon and begin typing the name of a saved login. Now the extension doesn't display each letter as I type it and instead pops up a message in the system tray. It WAS a very nice UI.

Why has this changed? Is there a way to install the previous version instead?

[L]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @frosty,

Yes, the UI in the extension definitely changed, that's why it looks so different from the old extension. ;)

The search still works in the extension, it just doesn't show the characters as you type them. When you click the 1Password extension, you can start typing to show Logins with matching title, URL, or tag. Or you can choose the Search option from the extension to open a separate search window that will show you what you're typing.

The old extension won't work with 1Password 4. I'm sorry you don't like the way the new extension looks & works! We've heard mostly positive feedback about it, but I'll certainly let our developers know you prefer the UI of the old extension better. I don't believe there are plans to make the new extension look like the old one, but certain features of the extension could be changed. We appreciate the feedback!

• frosty
    frosty
    Community Member

Really? But I had been using 1Password 4 for a while until Google Chrome reset all of my extensions.

Definitely mark me down in the camp of people who wish for the previous UI. With the previous version I didn't have to think about 1Password -- everything just worked intuitively. With the new version that's no longer the case. The UI is neither as intuitive nor as polished, and I don't think that's a matter of familiarity. Granted, I haven't been paying close attention to 1Password's Chrome extention's UI but in general it feels like the inevitable polishing of the UI over time just took a large leap backward. I hope this feedback makes it through and the change is reconsidered.

Thanks.

[L]

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@frosty You can download the old extension here: https://agilebits.com/extensions/win/index.html

• frosty
    frosty
    Community Member

Ah, thank you! I'm much happier with that version.

[L]

• Hey frosty.

Can you please tell us more about what you didn't like about the new extension?
    The new extension is improved in many ways over the old one, but in terms of the UI there were severe changes to bring it in line with the OS X extensions.

We're aware of a few shortcomings the new extension has due to the fact that we used more standard Windows technologies for the UI.
    That being said: We always look to improve our products, so please, keep the feedback coming.

Cheers

• jamesrom
    jamesrom
    Community Member

Hey, I don't mean to bump up this old thread, but I figure it's better than posting a new thread and being referred here anyway.

I was a bit disappointed in the UI changes too. I've been using 1password since 2009.

Previously the extension would popup a small, fully functional widget that had:

1. A search box
    2. The ability to edit items from the widget
    3. A non-modal password generator
    4. The ability to add new items (!)

I believe a consistent user experience across browsers and operating systems is a more appropriate goal than the engineering feat of deferring to OS standard context menus. In fact, 1password is the only Chrome extension I have that uses default Windows context menus for the UI -- not even Chrome itself uses default Windows context menus!

The real shame is that there is clearly great design talent at AgileBits. But the beautiful classic widget is now replaced by a bland, featureless context menu. I'm not sure why that decision was made, but it doesn't appear to be made with user experience in mind.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

A search box

When the 1Password popup menu appears, you can immediately start typing. The popup menu should then filter itself, displaying only those items that match your search query.

The ability to edit items from the widget

Press Tab while the mouse cursor is over an item (or press the right mouse button). A new sub-menu should appear. From here, you can open (and edit) the item in 1Password.

The ability to add new items

We recommend using 1Password's auto-save feature. Alternatively, you can manually create a new Login item here: Settings > Save new Login.

I believe a consistent user experience across browsers and operating systems is a more appropriate goal than the engineering feat

Absolutely! The new browser extension is consistent across browsers (previously, Internet Explorer would have a different UX), and it is consistent with 1Password for Mac.

I'm not sure why that decision was made

The old browser extension had lots of problems, including (but not limited to)...

1. Synchronization. The old browser extension had it's own database. This database would frequently get out-of-sync with your 1Password vault. The new browser extension reads (and writes) the exact same database (in other words: the new architecture has a single data source).
    2. Auto-Save wouldn't work on sites with multiple frames.
    3. The old extension would not detect password change forms (the new extension will prompt you to update existing logins).
    4. The old extension would not support multiple Chrome profiles (the new extension does).
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Press Tab while the mouse cursor is over an item (or press the right mouse button). A new sub-menu should appear. From here, you can open (and edit) the item in 1Password

not really what he asked for @svondutch

• jamesrom
    jamesrom
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

When the 1Password popup menu appears, you can immediately start typing. The popup menu should then filter itself, displaying only those items that match your search query.

My list was about missing features. I know about there are workarounds. Specifically, this point was about the ability edit the search term in a textbox... Without the menu flashing, and allowing a user to cut/copy/paste.

Press Tab while the mouse cursor is over an item (or press the right mouse button). A new sub-menu should appear. From here, you can open (and edit) the item in 1Password.

Yes, I knew about this when I posted. My point is that what was once a feature, is now a workaround. There may be technical reasons for disabling editing, but this is not how it behaves on my Mac with the Safari extension, which does allow me to edit items from the extension.

We recommend using 1Password's auto-save feature. Alternatively, you can manually create a new Login item here: Settings > Save new Login.

Oh I did not know that. Bit weird in the Settings sub-menu, but thanks for pointing it out.

The old browser extension had lots of problems, including (but not limited to)...

None of those reasons are UI related. My comments are about UI.

Look, I'm a happy 1Password user since 2009. I just feel like this UI is a regression. I know AgileBits are primarily in OS X/iOS development, and that Windows users (or users of all platforms, like myself) aren't going to get the same level of design attention, but driving the 1Password extension from a context menu is straight up clunky. Please consider improving this.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Oh I did not know that. Bit weird in the Settings sub-menu, but thanks for pointing it out.

I agree. Apparently it's there to hide it away from the masses as they what people to use the auto-save.

• paulage
    paulage
    Community Member

I just want to second what Jamesrom mentioned. I just reinstalled 1password to a new computer and updated the extension to the new V4 Chrome version. I thought I installed an even older version of the extension. The UI is a major step backwards and looks like an app from the early '00's. The old extension (3.9.21 which I've reverted back to, it works with 1Password v4) is much more intuitive and visually pleasing. Svondutch's comments focused on the technical problems with the old extension. In my opinion fixing these issues while keeping the old UI would be the best of both worlds.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@paulage: It's been quite a while since we made these changes to the extensions in 1Password 4, and since we've gotten mainly positive feedback I think it's safe to say that we'll be sticking with this for now.

However, we definitely appreciate the feedback, since I'm sure we won't be using the same design forever, so it helps to know what features you'd like to see in the extension in the future. So if you can be a bit more specific about what you feel is lacking, I'll be happy to pass your request on to the development team. :)

• Hi @paulage,

In my opinion fixing these issues while keeping the old UI would be the best of both worlds.

We do plan to overhaul 1Password Helper to be more intuitive and to add more features such as inline searching, inline editing, and a better interface. There are a lot of stuff we want to change for 1Password but it will take some time.

• frosty
    frosty
    Community Member

I still agree 100% that the previous UI was far more intuitive and pleasing to use than the current version. I'm still using the older version because I dislike the current version so much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I still agree 100% that the previous UI was far more intuitive and pleasing to use than the current version. I'm still using the older version because I dislike the current version so much.

@frosty: Indeed. I'm afraid we can never please everyone, but we'll do our best to improve the UI in a future version.

I always find these discussions fascinating, because I remember how much people hated the old (version 3) extension UI when it was released, first on OS X and later on Windows. On Windows especially we wanted to get away from it, as it was very out of place (the design was based on Mac OS X Snow Leopard, after all!)

We'll definitely take all of this great feedback into consideration when we work on a new design down the road. :chuffed:

• frosty
    frosty
    Community Member

I think I only started using the extension with version 3 and found it very much to my liking. It's intuitive and unobtrusive. I don't know if version 4 has changed since I looked at it, but from the sounds of it, it's as cludgey and frustrating as when I tried it. For now, I'm glad I can continue using the version 3 extension, but please do reconsider the UI changes you've made.

• We made some improvements such as adding a search box but the overall UI experience has not changed. We do plan to change this entirely in the future but we don't have any specific timeframe on this.

• frosty
    frosty
    Community Member

If you want someone to look at a new UI, I'd be happy to provide feedback.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@frosty: You and everyone else! ;)

Indeed, whenever we add new features or improve 1Password for Windows, you'll see those changes show up in the betas first — both the app and the extensions. So feel free to enable beta updates in 1Password File > Preferences > Updates. Cheers! :)

• frosty
    frosty
    Community Member

Noted and thanks.

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.