Why does unlock conceal rather than display a password?

When viewing a card in the Windows desktop client, I noticed that by default a password is concealed. I understand why and have no problems with that.

But my question lies with the padlock icon to the far right of it showing as unlocked while the password is concealed. I would think that would be to actually show the password, but it seems to be the reverse.

Is this another setting that I've overlooked in this application? Not a huge deal, just something I would think development would want to know.

(screenshot attached)

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

A button caption or icon generally depicts the action that click on it will perform. In this case, when the password is hidden (ie locked) the button is an "unlock" button. Once you're unlocked the password the button flips to a "Lock" button.

• What @RichardPayne‌ said :)

When the password is visible, the icon will be a locked lock to signify that clikcing it will conceal the password.
    When the password is concealed, the icon will be an unlocked lock to tell you that clicking it will make the password visible.

• phoenixrizing
    phoenixrizing
    Community Member

Thanks to you both. I understand. It's not a glitch, but a matter of perspective. I was looking at it from a "what state is the password in" and you from the point of "what state it could be".

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

I've requested that the lock be changed to an "eye", because clicking the icon doesn't lock or unlock the password. It obscures the password or makes it readable, and an eye would convey that without needing two states.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Thanks to you both. I understand. It's not a glitch, but a matter of perspective. I was looking at it from a "what state is the password in" and you from the point of "what state it could be".

Unless you make a habit of using all stars for your passwords then I'd have thought it would be obvious just by looking at it what state it's in. :p

This discussion has been closed.