DropBox synch problems

Hi,I have 1Passoword across all my devices, primarily on my Windows machine but also on my iphone and android tablet. I have been synching via dropbox without difficulties until now. No further synching. I opened my HTML data file in my dropbox folder and get the "Problem Loading File" warnng. I click on "a key data file" and get a full page of garbage. I don't know how to tell which data file. I erased the HTML file from Dropbox, restored data from backup. File worked until I tried to add a new log on. then back to square one, "Problem loading file". So what to do next?
Thanks
Ron

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

You shouldn't try to edit the files in the 1Password.agilekeychain folder directly. Frankly you've probably broken it completely (although the Agile guys might be able to help you fix it).
    You'll need to restore the entire keychain from the backup.

• RSK
    RSK
    Community Member

I never said i tried to edit this file. Just followed directions from agilebit, opned it to see ehat is the offending file.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

If you didn't change it then I have no idea what this means:

I erased the HTML file from Dropbox

Which HTML file and how is it related to 1Password?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

A couple of things, @RSK.

First, I suspect you tried to open the local copy of 1Password.html. :( As explained in the user's guide, most modern browsers prevent that kind of direct access to files in the local file system. Instead, you use 1PasswordAnywhere by opening the copy of 1Password.html on your private dropbox.com web site. Once we get the 1Password.html file back, you'll be able to do that.

Second, if you've deleted the file from your local Dropbox folder, that deletion is propagated to all other devices associated with the same Dropbox account. So the question now is how to get it back.

To do that, you want to go to your private dropbox.com web site, select the "show deleted files" option, and restore the latest saved version (that you just deleted) of 1Password.html.

Let us know when that's done, and we'll look into whatever problem caused syncing to stop working.

• RSK
    RSK
    Community Member

Synch is working now!
    so what did I find? Well, first I was opening a local file and not the HTML on dropbox.com I must have missed that part of the instructions. So I then opened by Dropbox file on dropbox.com. But dropbox wouldn't let me open until I verified my email address. dropbox never did that before. So once I verified, I opened the right HTML file and starting testing sync's, it all worked.
    So hopefully something learned. If syncing doesn't work, check dropbox first
    Thanks
    Ron

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @RSK, I'm happy to hear you were able to get it working again!

You shouldn't usually need to make any changes to your 1Password data directly on Dropbox.com if you're having a sync problem, as those problems are often related to the settings in 1Password on a device/computer (and not a problem with your data file).

Hopefully everything continues to work well for you now, but let us know if you run into more trouble.

This discussion has been closed.