Settings File on dropbox.com: Is it okay to delete it or MOVE it?

geek9mm
geek9mm
Community Member
edited September 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I need some clarification. I use 1PW for Windows and 1PW for Mac.

On dropbox.com, there is a "settings" file (.ws.agile.1Password.settings) that is OUTSIDE all the other folders, alone and by itself. It's not in the "1Password" folder, even.

But, on my local Windows machine, I don't see that "settings" file at all.

My question: Is it okay to DELETE that settings file up on dropbox.com? It's just sticking out, all by itself there, and as someone else here posted, it would be nice to keep the folders up there on dropbox.com all tidy and organized.

Second question: If it's NOT okay to delete it, can I at least MOVE it into the "1Password" folder up on Dropbox.com without messing everything up?

Thanks!

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Is it okay to DELETE that settings file up on dropbox.com?

Yes you can safely delete that file, but 1Password will probably re-create it.

on my local Windows machine, I don't see that "settings" file at all.

This is because the file is hidden.

can I at least MOVE it into the "1Password" folder up on Dropbox.com without messing everything up?

I wouldn't recommend this. Older versions of 1Password on iPhone and Windows Phone depend on it.

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

Thank you! So is this answer something different?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

So is this answer something different?

Nope. Same answer. You can safely delete it, but 1Password will probably re-create it (because 1Password on other platforms or older versions might depend on it).

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member

Ok thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome @geek9mm!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Just to wrap it up and put a bow on it, the settings file resides in your Dropbox root folder so that the other platforms and older versions know where to find it, because it tells them where to find your 1Password data.

This discussion has been closed.