1Password 4 Firefox extension: clicking on button does nothing

I just upgraded from 1Password 1.0 to 4.0 on Windows 7, and installed the new Firefox extension in my Firefox 31 install. The control-\ hotkey works to populate form fields and bring up the menu, but clicking on the icon (which appears greyed out, but that could just be me) does nothing. I've tried moving the button to other locations on the toolbar, but there's no change.

Is this a known issue or a deliberate change in behavior?

Comments

• kswartz
    kswartz
    Community Member

Okay, I think what I'm seeing is the intended behavior. It seems that the scrollable box of logins has been replaced by a menu list that is taller than my screen. With over 200 logins, trying to find a specific login is much, much harder. This UI seems horribly worse.

I hope I'm doing something wrong, because the browser extension is unusable for me now. Does the older extension work with version 4 of the Windows program?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

With over 200 logins, trying to find a specific login is much, much harder

When the popup menu appears, you can immediately start typing and then the popup menu should filter itself, displaying only those items that match your search string. Also, have you considered organising your Logins into folders?

Does the older extension work with version 4 of the Windows program?

Yes.

• kswartz
    kswartz
    Community Member

I did discover that I can start typing the name to narrow down the list, and I can also use the search box. But it looks like the option to populate fields on the current tab no longer exists? All I could do was have it reload the page in a new tab or current tab, and auto-fill. That doesn't work as often, since the fields are not always visible when the page first loads.

I downgraded to the older extension, and sure enough, it still works great with the 4.0 desktop program. I actually like the older extension much better, and am sticking with that for the time being.

The button on the toolbar that does nothing is a bug, imho. A buttons anywhere on an interface should respond when clicked; if not, it has no reason to be there.

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to some improvements to the new extension in the future, at which point maybe I'll try it again.

Keith

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I did discover that I can start typing the name to narrow down the list, and I can also use the search box. But it looks like the option to populate fields on the current tab no longer exists

I have re-introduced this in 4.0.2.BETA-508

The button on the toolbar that does nothing is a bug

Are you running Kaspersky (or other anti-virus software) maybe?

• kswartz
    kswartz
    Community Member

Cool! Thanks for adding that back.

I'm running McAfee AV, but it didn't report anything. If clicking on the icon is supposed to do something, my guess is conflict with another extension. But as far as confirming that: I tried creating a new profile to test there, but I have very little success getting the desktop program to install the plugin into other profiles, as it keeps telling me Firefox is running even when it isn't. Wouldn't surprise me if this is because I have custom locations for my profiles (although profile.ini is in the usual place). I even tried installing the .xpi manually, but then it can't find the desktop program and just spins on that welcome page. But I didn't want to go into that tangent here. :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @kswartz‌.

The easiest way to tell whether McAfee (or any other utility or program) is affecting 1Password is to disable it temporarily and see whether the problem goes away.

Has that shown any effect?

• Joshua Sosa
    Joshua Sosa
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

I had this problem too (for Chrome), but as suggested, it was resolved by changing settings in the anti-virus software. I use Sophos, so these instructions in the knowledgebase helped: https://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/sophos-endpoint-antivirus

It would be better if these add-ons were not affected by antivirus at all. I didn't have this problem with the last version of the extension, so it was annoying to have to dig into why my button stopped working when it worked so well with the last version (provided I selected not to sync extensions on my Chrome sign-in between computers).

• kswartz
    kswartz
    Community Member

Short update: disabling McAfee had no effect. (But this was no surprise: our administrator has configured it so that it will always trigger an alert or notification when something is blocked, via a very obnoxious dialog box that interrupts everything I'm doing!)

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

@kswartz‌ here is something you can try:

1. download 4.0.2.BETA-511 here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4#beta
    2. turn OFF this setting: Help > Advanced > "Verify web browser code signature"
This discussion has been closed.