1P and "clip to evernote"

I use Evernote, and I have a bookmark in my browsers for "clip to Evernote." What that does is call up a window (see attachment) that asks for the Evernote credentials. Obviously, I'd love to use 1P to fill in those credentials. BUT, 1P thinks that the page I'm on is the page of the underlying website I've browsed to, so 1P doesn't recognize this as a place to fill in my Evernote credentials. I can't use "Go and fill login," obviously, because that would take me away from the page I'm on!

I know this isn't 1P's fault, since it only knows what the underlying page is, but does someone have a clever workaround here?

Comments

• ApplianceJunk
    ApplianceJunk
    Community Member
    camner wrote:

I use Evernote, and I have a bookmark in my browsers for "clip to Evernote." What that does is call up a window (see attachment) that asks for the Evernote credentials. Obviously, I'd love to use 1P to fill in those credentials. BUT, 1P thinks that the page I'm on is the page of the underlying website I've browsed to, so 1P doesn't recognize this as a place to fill in my Evernote credentials. I can't use "Go and fill login," obviously, because that would take me away from the page I'm on!

I know this isn't 1P's fault, since it only knows what the underlying page is, but does someone have a clever workaround here?

I would guess that I don't fully understand what you are trying to do for sure, but can you open 1Password. Then select were it's stored the info for Evernote. Then edit the URL?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Unfortunately, camner, there is not a simple way around this as the URL in the address bar is what is being matched. Since Evernote is not loading in a pop-up window (merely a frame), the URL is still being correctly reported as the "host" page. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. Tumblr does this quite well with a pop-up when you invoke their bookmarklet. Consider contacting Evernote to suggest a change or simply drag the URL you wish to clip to the Evernote icon in your Dock, thereby bypassing the bookmarklet entirely.

I hope that helps. Please let me know how it turns out.
  • camner
    camner
    Community Member

I would guess that I don't fully understand what you are trying to do for sure, but can you open 1Password. Then select were it's stored the info for Evernote. Then edit the URL?

Maybe this video will help explain the issue I'm running into.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for posting the video, camner. That is exactly the behavior I experience with bookmarklets that create an overlay atop a website rather than opening their own window. If you notice, the address bar remains "agilewebsolutions.com" in your video because the browser is actually still at agilewebsolutions.com.

There is, unfortunately, not a simple way around this. Evernote literally "injects" its code into the current page. This produces a similar result to loading a remote image in a page (i.e. ads served from third-party ad-servers). Thus, the URL in the address bar correctly remains on the current domain. The "Share on Facebook" and "Share on Tumblr" bookmarklets are good examples of how to get around this by popping up a separate window that actually loads the remote URL for the login form. 1Password works correctly with these types of bookmarklets (since they just load like regular pages in a separate window). The Facebook/Tumblr/pop-up method is actually more secure as well since no scripting is being injected into the current page. Not that you shouldn't trust Evernote — I believe you have every reason to — but there is a level of trust required for such a bookmarklet.

I hope that helps clarify the situation a bit.
  • camner
    camner
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Thanks for posting the video, camner. That is exactly the behavior I experience with bookmarklets that create an overlay atop a website rather than opening their own window. If you notice, the address bar remains "agilewebsolutions.com" in your video because the browser is actually still at agilewebsolutions.com.

There is, unfortunately, not a simple way around this. Evernote literally "injects" its code into the current page. This produces a similar result to loading a remote image in a page (i.e. ads served from third-party ad-servers). Thus, the URL in the address bar correctly remains on the current domain. The "Share on Facebook" and "Share on Tumblr" bookmarklets are good examples of how to get around this by popping up a separate window that actually loads the remote URL for the login form. 1Password works correctly with these types of bookmarklets (since they just load like regular pages in a separate window). The Facebook/Tumblr/pop-up method is actually more secure as well since no scripting is being injected into the current page. Not that you shouldn't trust Evernote — I believe you have every reason to — but there is a level of trust required for such a bookmarklet.

I hope that helps clarify the situation a bit.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. It makes perfect sense (but I don't have to like it! :( ).

I'm happy to try to contact Evernote, but I'm guessing they aren't likely to change their practices because of me and 1P.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    You never know. Perhaps other users are experiencing trouble as well, maybe even unrelated to 1Password. It never hurts to contact them. I know not every company is as responsive as we are, but I am always optimistic. :-)
  • camner
    camner
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

You never know. Perhaps other users are experiencing trouble as well, maybe even unrelated to 1Password. It never hurts to contact them. I know not every company is as responsive as we are, but I am always optimistic. :-)

You can find my quick exchange with the Evernote folks here.

"Not every company is as responsive as [you] are" !!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2010
    It sounds like they have their reasons for doing it the way they do, but I still prefer the Tumblr/Facebook pop-up way of doing things. Less of a security risk and works with 1Password. ;-)

Every little bit helps. Even we at Agile have been known to change our minds in certain areas when enough demand was present. It's part of what makes us agile.

Please consider using Go & Fill (Edit > Show Logins in Safari) to login to your Evernote account which should make your account logged in and available when invoking the bookmarklet.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out the best. We will continue to evaluate how we can make the situation better for you from our end.
This discussion has been closed.