Screenshots as a security measure?

wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited September 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I hope this isn't a silly question. I have seen, a number of times, the use of graphics instead of text as a security measure. How much safer is that? I obviously cannot copy and paste characters like I can from text.

At the moment, I can screen capture a snapshot from my phone or tablet but not attach it on to 1Password. What is the size limitation of the 1Password image attachment? Is 40MP too big?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

Custom icons are limited to 32Kb. We do not limit the size of attachments, but I would NOT recommend adding a 40Mb attachment.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply. My phone cam can take 40 MP - Megapixels without resizing... Typically it would be about 6 - 11 Megabytes. iPhone is up to 2+ Megabytes.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Why are you using your phone's camera to take a screenshot? Windows itself can copy the screen by pressing the PrtScn key, or capture the active window using Alt+PrtScn. Alternatively, try Screenshot Captor. You can then use Shift+PrtScn to dynamically copy an arbitrary section of the screen.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Alternatively, try Screenshot Captor

...or the "snipping tool" that is included with your Windows OS: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/snipping-tool

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Why are you using your phone's camera to take a screenshot? Windows itself can copy the screen by pressing the PrtScn key, or capture the active window using Alt+PrtScn. Alternatively, try Screenshot Captor. You can then use Shift+PrtScn to dynamically copy an arbitrary section of the screen.

I have a problem with my Lumia being unable to work properly with 1Password. It was detailed in another thread in this forum. What I could try do is to do a screen capture of my password with Show Password on and record it somewhere. Just a thought.

Also, Waze the traffic monitoring app needs the user to create a login on the mobile device first. There is no way to create an account via desktop. You can later login to waze.com site on the PC after creating a user account on the mobile device.

This discussion has been closed.