Setting up Vault from iCloud in BootCamp

I run Win7 in Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro. I have my 1password vault synced across all my Apple products through iCloud, however I cannot get it to link to Windows through Bootcamp.

I do not have access to the iCloud files where the vault is stored. I can see the vault file by clicking "Manage" under iCloud Storage, however I cannot actually access the file to link it into 1password.

How does one gain access to the iCloud vault in BootCamp?

I love the unified security software, but i'm completely locked out of all my accounts in Windows!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

You can't use iCloud for third-party software in Windows, it's Apple-only. It may change when they introduce iCloud Drive later this year.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Do you actually up and download files to iCloud from Windows? If so then I suppose you could do a "manual" sync when you start and finish your Windows session. Not ideal because it requires you to be diligent in doing it consistently.

Overall though, Dropbox is a far superior alternative to iCloud if you need to sync non-Apple devices.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @iotus,

As it was already mentioned, you won't be able to use iCloud sync with 1Password for Windows. If you're also using 1Password for Mac and iOS devices, your best bet is to use Dropbox sync. You can find more information about sync options here: Syncing your 1Password data

• iotus
    iotus
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback. Seems like a major oversight at Apple/BootCamp.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @iotus!

Just to be clear, this doesn't have anything to do with BootCamp. The iCloud feature that we use to sync 1Password data simply isn't supported on Windows. So even if you were running Windows on a PC (instead of on a Mac) you still wouldn't be able to use iCloud sync in 1Password.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It's still somewhat myopic of Apple. Given the prevalence of Windows, you'd think they'd want to support it to increase the uptake of iCloud.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne, I agree! :) My point was simply that this isn't a BootCamp issue.

• iotus
    iotus
    Community Member

Exactly - all I need is to be able to select the vault file stored in my iCloud via a Windows browser window and I'm set. They even let you see what files you're storing, but don't give you access!

This discussion has been closed.