How do I get 1Password to fill an app password?

Hi, Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere but I cannot find it. I was in 1Password 4 and Ctrl clicking the + Add URL button with the login item allows me to select an application. How do I get the 1Password to fill the App with the desired password?

I had an App in the foreground and typing Ctrl+\ within the app didn't do anything.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It's the 1Password Helper (the process behind the systray icon) that fill applications.

Try Help > Restart 1Password Helper to make sure it's running and is fresh.

If it still doesn't work, then

1) Which application is it?
    2) Does the Auto-type function in the main 1Password app work?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

OneDrive was set to launch at startup. I logged out of Evernote app, logged back in and it didn't work.

Autotype in web browser was unchecked initially. I've checked the option on my web mail account and that didn't work as well.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Actually, I meant the Auto-Type option on the main app's tool bar. It lets you select another window to send commands to.

Is it OneDrive (I thought that retained your login and auto connected) or Evernote that you're struggling to fill?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

Actually, I meant the Auto-Type option on the main app's tool bar. It lets you select another window to send commands to.

I see it now. I have never used it before. Auto-Type works.

Is it OneDrive (I thought that retained your login and auto connected) or Evernote that you're struggling to fill?

I changed my password, which kicked me out of OneDrive. I thought that I would test the App password feature. Evernote was auto logged in.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

One does Ctrl+\ not work in OneDrive, Evernote or both?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

It doesn't work on any of them. I tried iTunes with the same result.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

My version is Beta-511. I have no experience with earlier versions of 1Password with regards to this issue.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Just tested Evernote with the latest 1Password v4 beta and it worked fine. What version are you running and on which OS?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

I'm using 1Password 4.0.2 Beta-511 with Evernote 5.6.4.4632. It the latest stable version. I have Windows 7 64bit.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Previous test was on XP. Re-tested on my Win7 system at home with the same 1P and Evernote versions and it still works perfectly.

Silly question but, you're not expecting it automatically select the "Already have an account" panel are you? If Evernote is not opening to that panel by default then you need to select it manually before pressing Ctrl+\.

I did just spot in interesting fault with the Ctrl+\ functionality on the OneDrive signin. It works and fills, but it chops off the first character of the username. Eg: in 1P I have:

username: abcdef

in OneDrive signin, it ends up as:

bcdef

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The OneDrive issue also seems to occur with Auto-Type, but not if I manually paste the value in.

@svondutch‌
    Are you using WM_PASTE or WM_CHAR messages or something entirely different?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

@RichardPayne,

Silly question but, you're not expecting it automatically select the "Already have an account" panel are you? If Evernote is not opening to that panel by default then you need to select it manually before pressing Ctrl+.

I have previously selected "Already have an account" before trying Ctrl+\

I did just spot in interesting fault with the Ctrl+\ functionality on the OneDrive signin. It works and fills, but it chops off the first character of the username. Eg: in 1P I have:

bcdef

I noticed it too when using Auto-Type.

David :) Brown left a comment but it went missing.

The OneDrive issue also seems to occur with Auto-Type, but not if I manually paste the value in.

@svondutch‌ Are you using WM_PASTE or WM_CHAR messages or something entirely different?

Are you replying to my thread or another? I hope Stefan replies here.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

(I removed my reply because I realized it didn't really offer a solution.)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Are you replying to my thread or another?

Your thread. My question related to the "losing the first character" when auto-typing or Ctrl+\ filling into the OneDrive sign-in window.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

I mistakenly thought it might be another thread as @svondutch hasn't commented yet.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Are you using WM_PASTE or WM_CHAR messages

@RichardPayne‌ We are using neither. We are using keybd_event().

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@‌svondutch
    From the MSDN page:

Note This function has been superseded. Use SendInput instead.

The big problem with keybd_event is that your events may get spliced with real ones. I've no idea if that is the problem with the OneDrive fill but it might be worth considering.

Now that I've sufficiently derailed @wkleem's thread, do you or @DBrown have any ideas about the original problem because I'm out of ideas.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

The MSDN link is invalid. It became a cross between my OP and the MSDN page. The correct link is here:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/windows/desktop/ms646304%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne @wkleem Can you help me reproduce this problem? How and where are you logging into OneDrive?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@‌svondutch
    Install OneDrive and run it (or Unlink it from your account if you're already using it) and then, as you click through the "Getting Started" wizard there's a login page. That's where we're both seeing the missing first character issue and where @wkleem is seeing Ctrl+\ not work.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@RichardPayne @svondutch Is there a Preference setting that controls this behavior? I may have overlooked something.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne @wkleen Here are my steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive account
    2. "Welcome to OneDrive" appears. Click on: "Get started".
    3. "Sign in" appears. Click inside the username field.
    4. Press Ctrl+\

Result: 1Password enters my username and password, and then the OneDrive setup wizard moves to the next step.

Here's my Login item -- how does this compare to yours?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@Svondutch I have the URLs to login.live.com and account.live.com above #32770. Lenient URL matching is unticked.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem Please turn on Lenient URL Matching. Thanks!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

It works now. Except for the issue where the first character of the user name goes missing.

@RichardPayne,

bcdef

Thanks.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Except for the issue where the first character of the user name goes missing

@RichardPayne @wkleem I'm afraid I cannot seem to reproduce this problem (I'm running Win7) -- are you sure "Send Ctrl+A before Auto-Type" is turned OFF?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

This is mine:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

@RichardPayne @wkleem I'm afraid I cannot seem to reproduce this problem (I'm running Win7) -- are you sure "Send Ctrl+A before Auto-Type" is turned OFF?

Yes it is. The options look like what the both of you posted in the screen capture.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne @wkleem Could your problem be isolated to Windows XP, maybe? There must be some common denominator I'm not having.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No, you can't install OneDrive on XP. I was testing on Windows 7.

This discussion has been closed.