Richard Niittula
Community Member
edited September 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

how can you change [master] password

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

On the Security tab of 1Password preferences (the main program, not the extension).

Please see the user's guide for this and other useful information, and let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

• MRG
    MRG
    Community Member

I was thinking of changing my Master Pswrd. I looked at the tab. It asks for the new Pswrd - but I do not see how to get the Password Generator operating here. How do I get the Generator to create a new Master Paswrd?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

How do I get the Generator to create a new Master Paswrd?

@MRG The generator creates new strong passwords for web sites. It does not generate your master password.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The generator creates new strong passwords for web sites. It does not generate your master password.

Given that it has a diceware generator, is there any good reason why it shouldn't be used for master passwords?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne diceware is good for your master password, but the random digits+symbols generator is not.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I agree @svondutch‌ but there's no qway to access the diceware generator from the change master password screen, which is what @MRG‌ was getting at I think.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I wouldn't personally use the password generator for a master password, because I doubt I'd be able to remember something truly random. I've got a nice complex master password that no one else will be able to guess. I just have to be sure I'm not captured by the CIA, 'cause I'd probably collapse after a few seconds of waterboarding.

If you want 1Password to create a diceware password for you, though, just invoke the password generator, copy the password to the clipboard, and paste it into the change-password dialog.

A nice side benefit is that you can hang onto the generated password for as long as you like. Of course, you'll need to know it to be able to see it...and that's why I wouldn't personally use the password generator for a master password. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.