1Password for iOS 6 and iOS 7 [Available in Updates > Purchases for those who already purchased]

Options
macmedix
macmedix
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

I have 1Password for iOS6, and I love it. I just recommended it to a bunch of people, but they report that as of today the iOS App store says they must have iOS8 to download 1Password now. No way are they installing a brand new iOS on the first day!

How does one download the good old version of 1Password that works on iOS 6 & iOS 7?

You know, the version that isn't limited to only working with iPhones/iPads that are not yet available? And isn't limited to only working with an iOS that was released today?

Comments

• FreeformAdmin
    FreeformAdmin
    Community Member
    Options

iPhone 4 users CANNOT upgrade to IOS 8 !
    I have a new to 1Password user, that just setup this morning on their Mac, and wanted to use on their IOS 7 iPad and iPhone. They cannot upgrade to 8 because it will break software that the rely on for their business. They have been warned NOT to upgrade to IOS 8 yet.
    Now they can't use 1Password !
    PLEASE put back the old version into the App store, for those that STILL NEED IT and CANT RUN IOS 8 !!!!

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member
    Options

This is not good! Not only will not everyone upgrade to iOS 8 immediately, but some will not (or cannot) upgrade at all. So if they try to buy it new or otherwise do a reinstallation of 1Password for iOS, they're screwed!

I know you'll come up with an answer for this, so I'm standing by...

Thanks!

• macmedix
    macmedix
    Community Member
    Options

It seems that 1Password version 4.3.2 is the last for iOS 6
    and 1Password version version 4.5.3 is the latest for iOS 7.
    If you already own 1Password version 4.x then the app store will offer to let you download the last compatible version.
    However it appears that 1Password 4 is not available for purchase. Only the new 1Password 5 which requires iOS 8 is available for purchase.

How does one buy 1Password for iOS 6 or iOS 7?

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member
    Options

MacMedix: you say that the App store (I assume you mean in iTunes, not on the computer) gives you an option to download v4? Please explain - when I look at it in iTunes, it simply says: "Downloaded".

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@TonyDennis‌

Apples support doc on the subject. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5919?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

@macmedix‌

I am not sure you can, the last time a change like this was made you could not.

I am just speculating so its best to wait on an answer from the staff.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone,

1Password 5 for iOS takes advantage of a number of awesome features that were added in iOS 8, including Touch ID and Extensions. As such, 1Password for iOS now requires iOS 8. If you decide to stay on iOS 7, then I am sorry to say that you will not be able to install 1Password 5 for iOS.

I wish I had a better answer for you all here. Please let me know if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help!

• katzz
    katzz
    Community Member
    Options

@‌Megan

So this is how you treat your customers? Why not keep a legacy-version in the store?

• lohmy
    lohmy
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I understand that 1Password v5 requires iOS8. No problem with that. So just let me know how to install 1Password v4.x on an iPad running iOS 7.1.2, please. Kind regards, Bernd

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

Agilebits, this is serious. You are doing a fab job at helping make the world more secure. Please continue to offer 1Password 4. I want to get my whole family on 1Password, and they are not on ios8.

• katzz
    katzz
    Community Member
    Options

@SallyShears‌

I agree 101%.

• Localboy
    Localboy
    Community Member
    Options

I had to revert my iPad 2 to iOS 7.1.2 because iOS 8 made the iPad operate in slow motion and virtually unusable. But now I need to revert 1Password to the version that works with iOS 7. Please help us out here, Agilebits!

• WallRuss
    WallRuss
    Community Member
    Options

I had to revert my iPod to iOS 7.1.2 because iOS 8. 0 prevented me from accessing my music library. I now need to revert to 1Password 4.5.3, which I've been using since the product was released. Since I paid for the product, I would like to use it. However, since I use my music library much more and is worth much more money, my choice of obvious. If you will not provide older versions of the software, will you offer refunds for software that is unusable?

• TonyDennis
    TonyDennis
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Megan,

I completely understand that 1Password 5 requires iOS 8, and I've got no problem with that. What is needed is the ability for people who are not running iOS 8 to still be able to purchase and/or download 1Password 4 for iOS, which was, and continues to be an awesome app!

Many people cannot or will not upgrade to iOS 8 (or just haven't done so yet). They should still have the ability to purchase/install 1Password for their devices. I can't imagine AgileBits intends to deprive those people of the awesomeness of 1Password!

Please advise.

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

I'll give you one example: A family member with a 16Gig iPhone 5s. The upgrade to iOS8 requires 5.8G, and she only has 3G of free space. Unless she goes through deleting photos one at a time forever, she won't be able to upgrade this phone to iOS 8.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

She will have no trouble updating through iTunes, without deleting anything.

• Dragon
    Dragon
    Community Member
    Options

I always update via iTunes.. don't need any free space then, and the last couple of updates haven't needed to repartition device anymore like always used to. Though still need to take a backup and transfer purchases to be on safe side.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi everyone,

I understand your frustration here, and I sincerely apologize. Unfortunately, I don't have much more of an answer than I've already give you above.

If you have previously purchased 1Password 4 for iOS, it will be available in the App Store in the Updates > Purchased section for any devices on iOS 6 or iOS 7. Because 1Password 5 for iOS was released as an update for 1Password 4 for iOS, 1Password 4 for iOS is no longer available in the App Store for new users.

• Localboy
    Localboy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan - I upgraded to 1Password 5 but iOS 8 made my iPad 2 unusable so I reverted to iOS 7. I had previously purchased 1Password 4 so can I re-download it? I don't see how to get to it in the iTunes store. Or is this like a roach motel where you can check in but you can't check out? Thanks for any help!

• Hi @Localboy‌

You should be able to download 1Password on your iPad 2:

You'll need to be logged into the Apple ID that you used to purchase 1Password with.

Thanks

Ben

• Localboy
    Localboy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben - I updated to 1PW5 when I upgraded to iOS8. When the new iOS rendered my iPad2 unusable, I was luckily able to revert to iOS 7 and the iPad is back to its snappy self. I can see 1PW5 in my purchase history but how do you download an earlier version (in this case 1PW4) from the iTunes App Store? The Apple link doesn't seem to cover that. Thanks for any help! William

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, can you please take this point to your management: Agilebits is doing a terrific job of making the world safer. Seriously. But, there are a lot of people we want to introduce to 1Password who do not or cannot have iOS 8. Please consider bringing back the option for a new user to purchase 1Password 4 for iOS. (For example, a family member of mine doesn't have enough free storage on her phone to upgrade to iOS 8. She's a lawyer and NEEDS 1PW. At the moment, we are absolutely stumped). Please make sure your management is aware of this need. Thanks!

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

@HawkMoth, thanks for this. There are others who have other reasons not to take iOS 8 right now.

_"She will have no trouble updating through iTunes, without deleting anything."_

• simren
    simren
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, I have trialled 1Password on my new MacBook Pro and wish to purchase it now. However, I need to use it across all of my devices and because my iPhone 4 is not able to cope with iOS8, your company's policy of no longer releasing 1Password4 prevents me from doing so. I can't believe you would wish to lose all those customers who have not bought the latest apple product. My phone works perfectly well and I don't want to be forced into buying a new product just because software developers don't care about us.

Please let us know if you plan to change this policy very soon or I will have to reset all the passwords I changed and find a similar product from a supplier who can provide what I need. I'm sure I won't be the only customer who you'll lose.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Localboy,

What happens if you tap on 1Password 5 in your purchase history? Because you're on iOS 7, Apple should allow you to download the latest compatible version of 1Password, which is 1Password 4.5 for iOS.

Hi @SallyShears‌ and @‌simren,

Again, I really do wish I had a better answer for you than what I've said above. I have passed your concerns along but I don't have an update on the situation at this time.

• SallyShears
    SallyShears
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Megan!

• Localboy
    Localboy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan - Unfortunately, the App store purchase history on my iPad is now blank and I'm not sure how to proceed from there. My purchase history is intact in iTunes on my Mac but it only shows the latest apps. Web searches so far tell me there apparently isn't a very good way of reinstalling older versions but I'm continuing to look. If I find a solution I'll update. At least my iPad functionality is now 99% back to where it was. William

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi William ( @Localboy‌ )

I'm so sorry to hear that you're still unable to find 1Password in your purchase history. Unfortunately, there are often glitches associated with downgrading. If your purchase history is showing as incorrect, this sounds like a problem you may need to contact Apple about. Since we have no access to App Store purchase records, there's not a lot that we can do in a situation like this.

I hope that Apple is able to get things sorted out for you quickly, and I'm glad that your iPad is behaving at least 99%! :)

• Localboy
    Localboy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan - Success! All it took was a full shutdown and reboot and bingo my purchase history was restored. This allowed me to re-download the three apps that required a previous revision to work with iOS 7. So I’m back 100%. Happy, happy, happy! William

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi William ( @Localboy‌ )

Whoo hoo!! I'm sorry that this was a bit of a process for you, but I'm so glad to hear that you're back up and running. We like it when you're happy, happy, happy!

I hope 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions, you know where to find us. :)

• user12312321
    user12312321
    Community Member
    Options

According to the apple page linked to in this thread:

"If a compatible version isn't available, you can try contacting the app developer. Look for contact information on the app's product page in the App Store or Mac App Store."

Soooo... hello developer, can you make a compatible version available?

This discussion has been closed.