Confused about iCloud vs. iCloud drive [Explanation in post #10]

Options
rlgleason51
rlgleason51
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

I have read your faqs and other articles in which some state NOT to use iCloud drive, and others state not to use icloud.

I upgraded to iOS 8 and 1p5 but did not activate iCloud drive under the impression that it was not a good idea until Yosemite was released.

Should i be using icloud, or iCloud Drive?

If I should activate iCloud drive, do I need to do anything else to have my data migrated and synced?

Comments

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

If you enable iCloud drive, then 1P on your Mac will not be able to sync anymore. iCloud drive requires iOS8 and Yosemite.

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    Options

Will 1p5 still sync with my mac even it still has 1p4?

• Andrea Raiconi
    Andrea Raiconi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I updated to ios8 and 1p5 as well, and did not migrate to iCloud drive as I thought that iCloud "classic" would preserve sync with my mac until the release of Yosemite. However the note on top of this page https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/cloudkit-faq seems to suggest that sync won't work between iOS 8 and mavericks, no matter what; is that true? Can someone from the development team elaborate on this? Will I end up with two inconsistent vaults if I add new passwords? Also will data migrate smoothly once Yosemite will be out and iCloud will be switched to Drive? Maybe the safest thing is to switch to Dropbox for the time being...

• sddawson
    sddawson
    Community Member
    Options

I've read the FAQ about 1P V5 on iOS8 and iCloud syncing, but it doesn't cover the case where you upgrade to iOS8 but decline to enable iCloud Drive. I don't want to enable it because it apparently upsets iCloud files on non-Yosemite Macs. So what happens with 1P iCloud syncing in this case?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I think the FAQ is clear:

In 1Password 5, iCloud sync requires iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). Because Yosemite has not yet been released, it is currently not possible to sync iOS 8 devices with Macs using iCloud.

And also...

In 1Password 5, iCloud support was rewritten from the ground up to use CloudKit, a new technology from Apple that’s built into iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).

And:

Leave iCloud enabled on all devices. You can continue using 1Password on your devices as you would normally, and, when you update your Mac, your devices will once again resume syncing automatically.

I don't think any of that has anything specifically to do with iCloud Drive vs. iCloud, as I see it.

Stephen

• sddawson
    sddawson
    Community Member
    Options

Part of the FAQ says:

"If I’ve previously been syncing to iCloud, will my vault be migrated to the new sync system after I update my devices?

Yes. Just make sure to turn on iCloud Drive when you update your devices. Then go to the App Store and check the Updates tab to install the latest version of 1Password 5. When you next open 1Password, your vault will automatically be moved over to the new iCloud. You’ll also need to repeat these steps on any other devices you use with 1Password."

It says that in order to sync, you must have iCloud Drive enabled. We have one device that doesn't have iCloud Drive enabled, but does have 1Password 5. In 1P settings it says it is syncing happily. That's what confuses me! What's it doing?

• Suz
    Suz
    Community Member
    Options

I have just put 1password on my iPhone and iPad, when i updated to ios8 i read that you were not to set up iCloud drive which I didn't, so when it came to syncing 1password I did choose iCloud originally in the settings and it worked between iphone and iPad . iCloud Drive is switched off on both my devices but iCloud is still on.... Then I read it was better to sync using Dropbox until Yosemite arrives etc. So I just changed it to Dropbox and the syncing has been fine. I have yet to get 1password for Mac....

• sddawson
    sddawson
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, you basically did what I did, except that 1P V4 was already installed when V5 was installed, so iCloud syncing was already set up. So I'm wondering whether iCloud syncing does work using the old scheme on iOS8 if iCloud Drive is not enabled, and therefore to pre-Yosemite Macs too (especially since 1P says it actually is syncing).

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rlgleason51‌ and Andrea,

I sincerely apologize for the confusion here. The changes made to iCloud for iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 Yosemite have made things a bit complicated here, but I'll do my best to clear things up. There are several different scenarios that we need to consider here:

You have 1Password data stored on both iOS and Mac

• If you upgrade to iOS 8 and 1Password 5 for iOS: you will not be able to use iCloud sync until OS X 10.10 Yosemite ships. This is because we use CloudKit in 1Password 5 to handle the iCloud syncing and that is an iCloud Drive feature. (I know, there's far too many 'iCloud' named mechanisms here!)
    • If you upgrade to iOS 8 and do not enable iCloud Drive, you might be able to sync to your Mac using iCloud and 1Password 4 for iOS.

You only use 1Password on your iOS devices

• If you upgrade to iOS 8 and 1Password 5 for iOS, you must enable iCloud Drive in order to use iCloud sync (see the reason above)

Will I end up with two inconsistent vaults if I add new passwords? Also will data migrate smoothly once Yosemite will be out and iCloud will be switched to Drive? Maybe the safest thing is to switch to Dropbox for the time being...

If you do not switch to Dropbox, you may end up with a few differences in your vaults before Yosemite ships. 1Password is generally very good at merging details, so as long as you haven't made different edits to the same entries, you should be in the clear. (In the event that different edits are made to the same entry, 1Password will save the conflicting details in 'Conflict' fields within the entry, so that no data is lost.)

That being said, switching to Dropbox would avoid this issue altogether. We've got a guide on how to Switch to Dropbox that should walk you through the process.

I hope this helps! We're all looking forward to OS X 10.10 Yosemite so that a lot of this confusion becomes moot, but if you have any further questions in the meantime, we're here for you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sddawson‌ and @Suz,

I've merged your post with an existing discussion on iCloud sync. Please see my explanation in post #10 above. I hope it helps to explain things, but if you have any further questions, we're here to help!

• Roaming_Bob
    Roaming_Bob
    Community Member
    Options

Can Megan elaborate on the comment:
    "• If you upgrade to iOS 8 and do not enable iCloud Drive, you might be able to sync to your Mac using iCloud and 1Password 4 for iOS."
    That is exactly the situation I am in with my iPad (moved to iOS8 but iCloud drive not enabled, iOS5 not installed). My iPhone and Macs have not been updated to these new releases (nor will they be until Yosemite is out). These devices had all been synching by iCloud and I would hope to continue to keep all of them synced.
    Is it your counsel that I should switch all of these to Dropbox synching?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Roaming_Bob‌

If you are still using 1Password 4 for iOS and have not enabled iCloud Drive, the 'older' version of iCloud sync should continue to work to keep your data synced between Mac and iOS. Let's do a quick test:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Mac") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on each of your iOS devices ("Test, iPhone/iPad") and add some data
    • Does "Test for Mac" show up on either of your iOS devices?
    • Does "Test for iPhone" and/or "Test for iPad" show up on your Mac?

If those test entries all appear where they should, then you should be all set with iCloud sync! :)

• jbtme
    jbtme
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

If you upgrade to iOS 8 and do not enable iCloud Drive, you might be able to sync to your Mac using iCloud and 1Password 4 for iOS.

Where can I get 4 for iOS?
    I have upgraded to iOS 8 but did not enable iCloud Drive. I got a message on my iphone version 3 for IOS to upgrade to version 4 with a discount price. I clicked that link and that took me to the app store where I could download it for free. I than found out that the new app would not sync (with wifi) that I used to with v.3. So I found out that if I purchased v. 4 for mac I could sync with iCloud. I went to your web store and looked at your upgrade prices. (I had to write my license number in a form and it said $24,99 to upgrade from my mac v.3) The only problem was that your website said that the "web" version was no good if I wanted Icloud sync and that I had to buy the MAS version. So I did buy the MAS version ($49,99) that costed twice the amount of the upgrade to get the icloud sync. But then I couldn't sync my iphone with my mac on icloud after all.
    I later discovered that it was NOT version 4 I had downloaded from the itunes app store but version 5 (even if it said v.4 on the link). (There was no number on the purchase). I then found out that icloud sync will not work on v.5 before yosemite. What a mess. I then found out in another thread
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/28616/bought-1password-some-days-ago-now-its-free (post 8) that I didn't had to buy the MAS version after all, because the web version will work with the icloud sync or you can switch from web version to MAS version for free even if the website said the opposite. https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/where_to_purchase.html . So now I have spent 25 $ more than I had to and icloud sync is still not working. What an expensive mess.

And I ask again where can I get that v.4 that the v.3 advertised on my iPhone?

Edit: To Megan. Saw your post in another thread about the solution to the price I paid for the MAS version. Thanks for that. That helps a lot. I had then already written this post, so I post it anyway to share my experience.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jbtme‌

Again, you have my sincere apologies for the confusion surrounding this upgrade - we certainly didn't want it to be so frustrating for you!

Unfortunately, 1Password 4 for iOS is no longer available in the App Store. We introduced 1Password 5 for iOS as an upgrade and not a separate app so if you've updated from 1Password 3 for iOS directly to 1Password 5 for iOS we can't sneak you back to 1Password 4 for iOS. (The prompt you saw in 1Password 3 for iOS was added before we released 1Password 5 for iOS, which is why you're seeing 1Password 4 for iOS advertised instead of the latest and greatest version of 1Password.)

Believe me, I know this is a bit annoying. We're all hoping that Yosemite is available soon, as it will put a lot of this iCloud kerfuffle behind us.

For now, I think your best option here is to use Wi-Fi or Dropbox sync to keep your data matched up between your devices until Yosemite is available. Dropbox is just as automatic as iCloud so it should cause little interruption in your daily life. We have a handy-dandy user guide to help you switch to Dropbox sync if you so desire.

And, of course, if you have any further questions or concerns, we're here for you!

• jbtme
    jbtme
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for understanding the problem. Dropbox is not an option for me, but I think I can live with wi-fi sync until yosemite is available.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jbtme,

I'll keep hoping that Yosemite happens soon! If you have any questions about Wi-Fi sync, you know where to find us.

• jamesstephenson
    jamesstephenson
    Community Member
    Options

I just recently updated my wife's iPhone to IOS8, and 1Password continued to work fine between that and her iPad, which hadn't yet been upgraded. I then upgraded her iPad to IOS8, and enabled Cloud Drive on it.

Now 1Password cannot find the Cloud synced password store, neither can it do so on her iPhone. It seems that the data is completely gone. What the hell happened, and why is this so difficult to get correct? I'm now afraid she's lost her data forever.

• jamesstephenson
    jamesstephenson
    Community Member
    Options

In her "Manage Storage" section of iCloud on the iPad, I see two separate entries for 1Password. One is 1.7KB which is the brand new vault, but the other is 67.4KB, which I assume is her existing data, but it's sitting in iCloud and 1Password will NOT sync with that data no matter what I do. I've tried deleting the 1.7KB data but it refuses to acknowledge the existing data.

How do I recover this from iCloud?

• sddawson
    sddawson
    Community Member
    Options

I think things are still a bit confusing! I have iOS devices on iOS8 that do NOT have iCloud Drive enabled. 1Password 5 on these devices is syncing with iCloud, and the syncing type says Cloudkit. Presumably this means it's using the new way of syncing. Entries added on iOS certainly aren't showing up on 1P V4 on Mavericks. So it doesn't seem as though you HAVE to enable iCloud Drive at all for 1P V5 to use the new syncing method.

• initiator
    initiator
    Community Member
    Options

I think it stinks that we have to upgrade to Yosemite just to sync to iCloud. I have no plans to upgrade anytime in the future. I have a new iPhone with iOS 8. I have to resort to cluky WiFi syncing or DropBox instead of the elegant iCloud sync. I'm not a happy camper.

• woever
    woever
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,
    I have 3 IOS devices, no Mac but a windows7 desktop computer and an the windows I run the icloud Drive beta 4. How can I enable the icloud in 1P in windows? I have the 1P beta on windows.

• Johan Carlsson
    Johan Carlsson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan‌ I have just upgraded my computer to Yosemite Public Beta, and also upgrade both my computer and my Iphone to iCloud Drive. But the sync just doesn't work. Changes that I enter on my computer doesn't show up on my phone, and if I do try to change stuff on my phone it just refuses and reverts to a previous save.

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Having Yosemite isn't enough, you need to be running the 1Password OS X beta too. You need the OS and the application on every device to understand and use the new API for iCloud Drive for it to work. That means iOS 8, 1Password 5 iOS, Yosemite & 1 Password OS X beta (probably to be titled 1Password 5 OS X once Yosemite is released).

I believe there are currently no spaces in the beta program.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I believe, too, you won't be able to use iCloud sync with Yosemite beta plus 1P beta. It's my understanding that, because the new iCloud will work only with apps from the Mac App Store, you can't use it on the 1P beta (because, obviously, that comes direct from AgileBits). In summary, you'll have to wait for release on the Mac App Store of the next version of 1P that supports Yosemite...and that's not going to come until Yosemite itself is released.

I emphasise that's my understanding from reading a number of posts, so it's possible I could be wrong. :)

Stephen

• Ace2bb
    Ace2bb
    Community Member
    Options

I am amazed that I have just purchased an iPhone 6 and I can no longer use 1Password on the device without being unable to use it on my Mac.. This is a MAJOR oversight on the part of AgileBits. I have been a 1Password customer for the past 5 years and I am so frustrated at what is happening that I am now in the process of moving all of my stored data to iCloud KeyChain and completely removing 1Password from not only my devices but all of my staff.

Major oversight guys. Very disappointed.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited September 2014
    Options

Please note that wifi sync (and Dropbox sync) works perfectly well between 1P4 for OS X and 1P5 for iOS 8 so I'm a little puzzled why you think you can't use 1P on both.

Stephen

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@Stephen_C‌

I believe, too, you won't be able to use iCloud sync with Yosemite beta plus 1P beta. It's my understanding that, because the new iCloud will work only with apps from the Mac App Store, you can't use it on the 1P beta (because, obviously, that comes direct from AgileBits).

Thats is my understanding as well.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jamesstephenson‌

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. I'd like to take a better look at your wife's iOS devices. Please note that you will need to be upgraded to iCloud Drive on all devices to make use of iCloud sync.

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from each iOS device:
    http://guides.agilebits.com/knowledgebase/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sddawson‌ and @initiator‌

I'm sorry to hear that the changes to iCloud are causing you trouble here. I'd be happy to troubleshoot any issues that you have with Wi-Fi or Dropbox while we wait not-so-patiently for Yosemite to arrive and resolve this for us all. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @woever‌

At this time, iCloud sync is not available for 1Password 4 for Windows. If you need to keep 1Password 5 for iOS in sync with 1Password 4 for Windows, I recommend Dropbox. :)

This discussion has been closed.