How To Revert to 1Password 3?

I recently fired up my fully-licensed version of 1Password 3, when I was notified that 1Password 4 was now available, and asked if I wanted to upgrade. Naturally, I said yes, only to find out that my 1Password 3 installation was replaced with a Trial Version of 1Password 4 that required me to re-purchase a new license for 1Password 4.

No! If 1Password 4 required an additional purchase, you should have told me so from the get go!

Now then, how do I remove 1Password 4 and re-establish my fully-licensed 1Password 3 installation?!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

In spite of the typo on the release notes, there is no 1Password 3 for Windows.

1Password 1 for Windows, which you can download from that page, is the version you had before. The confusion arises from two facts:

• We went directly from version 1 to version 4 to acknowledge how close the feature set is to 1Password 4 for Mac.

• Version 1 was compatible with the 3.x browser extensions used by 1Password 3 for Mac.

We apologize for the confusion, and we thank you sincerely for using 1Password!

Before you reinstall 1Password 1, we do hope you'll take advantage of the opportunity to check out the new features for up to 30 days. You can always download version 1 again, if you want to stick with it, after that.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

my 1Password 3 installation was replaced with 1Password 4

The version 4 installer does not remove the older version. In theory, you should still have it here: Start > Programs > 1Password

that required me to re-purchase a new license for 1Password 4.

If you have purchased your license key in 2013 or 2014, then you do not have to re-purchase anything because version 4 is FREE. Simply enter your old license key into the version 4 application.

how do I remove 1Password 4 and re-establish my fully-licensed 1Password 3 installation?

Should you really need to re-install the old version, then you can download it here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW3

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It should be noted that with the new site design, it's really not obvious how to find the old versions to download.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Good point, @RichardPayne. I've added info to the 1Password 4 for Windows Knowledgebase.

• DavidMSW
    DavidMSW
    Community Member

Must say that I am really not happy with your approach to this update. I'm a happy windows/iOS user of 1password and I will most likely update my license but when I get an update option I really do not expect my currently installed version to break! I was sitting at work and needed to access a site and, as I obviously trust you guys, I just hit the update button as I always do without too much consideration. I really do not want to sit through an upgrade/purchase process at work, and to make matters worse my old installation seems to be messed up now. Reinstalling via the provided downgrade link in this thread didn't help (I get "An important component is missing from 1Password"). I will probably get that sorted when I have the time, but I am really disappointed with the situation.

Love your product and want to make clear that I don't think that I am entitled to forever free updates. At the same time I really didn't expect you to push out an update that forces a new purchase, breaking the previous version while doing so.

//David Westerberg

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

I really do not expect my currently installed version to break!

It is not supposed to break. The older version is here: Start > Programs > 1Password

my old installation seems to be messed up now

Please define "messed up". What problem are you having?

Reinstalling didn't help (I get "An important component is missing from 1Password")

Are you sure you are running version 1.0.9.342? If yes, then you might want to restart your PC and try again. Thanks!

• NewPrometheus
    NewPrometheus
    Community Member

Okay, so I uninstalled 1Password 4, and found 1Password v1.0.9.342 still installed and usable. However, I'm getting a strange red exclamation point on the 1Password extension in my Chrome browser. I tried opening a support case (via support@agilebits.com) on Sunday 9/21, but no one has responded as yet, so I'm seeking help on this forum.

When I click on the red exclamation point within the extension, it indicates:

"Problem with 1Password Helper

The 1Password Helper process is experiencing problems"

I generated a Troubleshooting Report but this forum will not allow me to attach it as a PDF (inexplicably). Even so, the report indicates:

"The following configuration issues were detected.

1Password Helper is Not Connected"

Please advise.

Thank you!

• DavidMSW
    DavidMSW
    Community Member

@svondutch I'm on my phone and don't have much time to put into an answer right now, but in short: I get the same error message after reinstalling that I got after updating to 1password 4: "an important component…"

Yes, I am using the latest version of 1password 1 and I have restarted as the installer prompts.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

I would guess that you've still got the v4 extension installed. Try removing the remove from the browser and then re-install the v1 extension. I can't remember the precise details of how, and the Download page on the website doesn't seem to provide access either.

@DBrown‌
    I noticed that with the new site re-design, it's very impossible, as far as I can tell, to download v1 of 1Password for Windows. There is a Legacy section but it only contains Mac installers. Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to get the legacy browser extensions.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I can't do anything about the corporate site (other than let them know about a problem), but (as noted above) I've added an article called Reverting to version 1 to the 1Password for Windows knowledgebase, so the legacy installer is available.

As for the extensions, they're always available from the Browsers tab of 1Password preferences. Indeed, that's the only way to be sure you're getting an extension that's compatible with the version of 1Password you have installed.

I hope that helps!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Thanks @DBrown‌. I couldn't remember what the v1 preferences screen looked like!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I'm getting a strange red exclamation point on the 1Password extension in my Chrome browser

@NewPrometheus‌ Please restart the 1Password helper here: Help > Restart 1Password Helper

it's very impossible, as far as I can tell, to download v1 of 1Password for Windows.

@RichardPayne‌ You can download the old version here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW3

Also, there doesn't appear to be a way to get the legacy browser extensions.

@RichardPayne‌ You can download the old extension here: https://agilebits.com/extensions/win/index.html

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

My point was that the old software isn't easily accessible from the main website. It should be under the Legacy section at: https://agilebits.com/downloads

• NewPrometheus
    NewPrometheus
    Community Member

Thank you, @svondutch‌! Restarting 1Password Helper resolved the problem.

Cheers!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

No matter which version of 1Password for Windows you're running, the Browsers tab is the sure place to get extensions that are compatible with that version...and there's no need to remember the URL. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

True, but the main app installers are missing too.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I've notified the Web Team that the "legacy" section needs to include 1Password 1 for Windows.

Thanks again for bringing it to our attention!

This discussion has been closed.