"1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file." [Fix steps in post #23]

Options

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Please read this suggested solution from AgileBits.

Stephen

• mortify
    mortify
    Community Member
    Options

Followed the steps Megan listed in #23 and now I'm in infinite Dropbox.com 404 hell circa 1Password 4.0 for iOS. This is extremely frustrating.

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    Options

Post 23 seems to have solved it for me as well. I am still occasionally encountering sync failures, but when this happens, 2 or 3 retires usually gets things ironed out.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mortify,

I'm sincerely sorry about the frustration here. The .404 error indicates a problem on Dropbox's end. It is usually resolved within a few minutes - are you still seeing this issue?

Hi @Chris100,

I'm so glad to hear that you're able to get things sorted out after following the steps in post #23! Our developers are working to sort this issue out - it's starting to look like it might be an iOS issue where preferences are not being saved ... but we need to do a bit more research to confirm things. In any case, we know this is a priority, and we're working to get it properly sorted out as soon as possible!

• kriknosretep
    kriknosretep
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, I love 1Password, let me just say that. I preach to people constantly about it.

But now I'm just getting really upset with it.

Ever since upgrading to iOS 8 and 1Password 5.0.1, my settings are CONSTANTLY lost.

Specifically:

1. I lose my sync settings. Sync is RANDOMLY turned off and I have to restart sync several times a day. I have three vaults and it happens on every single vault.

2. My setting to use Touch ID is turned off RANDOMLY and the app reverts to forcing me to type in my master password. It never even gives me the option to read my fingerprint.

3. The amount of time I have set up--30 days--to request my master password instead of asking to read my fingerprint is RANDOMLY changed to whatever the lowest amount of time is (10 minutes, I think).

4. Other various settings are RANDOMLY changed, such as: I have my passwords set to NOT be concealed, yet now they are concealed.

And on, and on, and on.

HELP! WTH is happening here?!?!?!

Kirk

• mortify
    mortify
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan‌ - currently on day 3 of infinite Dropbox.com 404 when attempting to sync. I've tried from 16 different networks, have deleted and reinstalled the app, created a dummy vault, etc. I don't believe the issue is Dropbox alone. That same sync file is being used on Windows and Mac desktop clients which are working fine. I've got an open support ticket I'm working through with Marshall W., so maybe that will go somewhere. I just wanted to indicate that the issue seems to be pretty pervasive and the solution from earlier isn't a magic bullet.

• Thanks @mortify‌, I'll let Marshall know you've written here as well. FYI it looks like he has a request in to you for some diagnostic reports, and it doesn't appear we've received those as of yet.

ref: TMS-66972-441

• Bill O'Donnell
    Bill O'Donnell
    Community Member
    Options

Steps from post 23 seem to have fixed it for me as well. 48 hours without dropping the connection. Thanks!

• kriknosretep
    kriknosretep
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, attached is a screen shot of the actual error message that I receive with the syncing problem...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Bill O'Donnell,

Whoo! Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all synced up! Glad we could help. You know where to find us if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @kriknosretep‌

I've merged your post with an existing discussion on this issue. I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. Our developers are aware of this issue and are working to track it down as soon as possible. We know this one sucks.

Right now it does appear to be related to the iOS losing preferences somewhere, but we've got a bit more investigation to do to confirm our suspicions before we can say for certain.

There are steps posted in post #23 that have helped a lot of users get back up and running, I hope that they work for you as well!

• kriknosretep
    kriknosretep
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan.

I did follow those steps and right now that seems to be helping the sync issue.

But what about the other issues I mentioned? Your reply didn't specifically address those, so I assume your reply dealt more with the sync problem. Are you thinking that they're all related?

Kirk

• @kriknosretep‌

Are the other issues still occurring?

• kriknosretep
    kriknosretep
    Community Member
    Options

Oddly it all seems to be working now @bwoodruff‌. I'll update if that changes.

Kirk

• Thanks! :)

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

@megan and @bwoodruff‌ - did the steps in post 23 and it worked for about a day, but it happened again just now (1st launch of 1P after installing 8.0.2 on my 5s). Just adding a data point in case it helps.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @steve28,

Thanks so much for following up here. I'm sorry to hear that it's still acting up. I'll pass this along to our devs in the hopes it will help them smash this quick.

• iCoco
    iCoco
    Community Member
    Options

I experienced the same issues with 1Password a& Dropbox syncing on iPhone 5s and iPad Air (iOS 8.0.2, 1Password 5.0.1). I followed the steps Megan gave in #23 (plus, just to be sure, deleted 1Password & Dropbox and re-installed both). As for now everything is working again. I’ll post if this should change.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iCoco,

I'm sorry to hear that Dropbox was being difficult for you here, but I'm so glad that my steps got things working for you again. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all continues to behave!

• rwintle
    rwintle
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to chip in in case it's useful info for the team.

I have this issue. I've just started using 1Password (it's AMAZING!) on OSX Mavericks, iPad (3rd Gen running iOS 8.0.2) and iPhone 4s (also running iOS 8.0.2).

OSX and iPad are fine. But the iPhone is showing this issue. It keeps losing the sync saying "1Password will no longer sync because it cannot read the sync file. Please update sync preferences to start syncing again. 1Password encountered a problem."

All I have to do to get it to work is go to: Settings -> Sync -> Start syncing -> Sync with Dropbox. Then allow the link in Dropbox, then Sync with Dropbox again, tap the account, tap the file and then it works again.

I have multiple vaults in the Dropbox and they all stop syncing.

Hope that's helpful.

Ross

• RJC
    RJC
    Community Member
    Options

I followed instructions in post 23 and also deleted and reinstalled Dropbox on my iPad Air with iOS 8.0.2. Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. I am still seeing the same error reported in this thread.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RJC,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• kbreit
    kbreit
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Dropbox as my sync mechanism between Windows, Mac, and two iOS devices. Unfortunately 1P doesn't appear to always stay in sync on the iOS devices. It will often notify me syncing can no longer be done because it cannot use the 1Password sync file, or something like that. I can reselect the sync file in Dropbox but it's never clean and often creates conflicts inside the 1P entries. How can I fix this long term?

• horatio8
    horatio8
    Community Member
    Options

getting this also:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/thumbnails/FileUpload/d0/96be1af53912284a80e2b7ee2c5830.jpg

especially happens after a reset, but also other random times...can always reestablish Dropbox sync, but what a pain

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kbreit,

I've merged your comment with an existing discussion on the issue. Please see my steps in post #23 to re-establish Dropbox sync. I sincerely apologize for the trouble here. Our devs are doing their best to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Hi @horatio8,

Again you have my apologies for the trouble here. We know this bug sucks, and we're working to get it solved. Please see my post #23 for details on how to work around this.

• twangus
    twangus
    Community Member
    Options

I have been having sync issues with Dropbox at well since upgrading to the new version. When I first upgraded, I got an error message saying that it couldn't read the sync database (sorry, I don't have the exact wording). I went back in and reconnected the app to Dropbox and it synced fine, but then it lost the connection to dropbox again. I have had to go back into 1password to reconnect to Dropbox and select the database at least five times in the last week.

Any ideas?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hi @twangus‌,

I've split your comment from the original discussion: Sync issue with Dropbox, because it sounds like you might be seeing a different issue than the original poster.

Please see post #23 for a description of this known issue, and the workarounds that you can try while our developers work on a proper solution. :)
  • Nickso
    Nickso
    Community Member
    Options

I was getting the same error multiple times a day on 2 iPhone 6+'s running 8.0.2 syncing to Dropbox. Gave #23 a shot and all has been working well since last night.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nickso,

Thanks so much for letting us know that post #23 helped you out! We'll do our best to get a proper fix out to you all asap. :)

This discussion has been closed.