Need help setting up Wi-Fi sync (Windows 7 & iOS 8)

Whenever I try to set up Wi-Fi sync, my laptop doesn't appear on my iPhone to sync with. Yes, they are on the same Wi-Fi network. Do I need to change any firewall or port settings on my router or laptop?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with Wi-Fi sync, @davidburnsred‌. :(

Have you followed the steps in the Syncing over Wi-Fi article in the 1Password 4 for Windows User's Guide?

• christel
    christel
    Community Member

I have the same Problem, I simply do not see my windows pc on the Iphone.
    I followed exact the rules described in https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/syncing-over-wi-fi

• davidburnsred
    davidburnsred
    Community Member

Yes, I followed the steps exactly and my laptop never shows up in the iOS app.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Some Wi-Fi routers prevent clients to communicate directly with each other. You might be able to configure this your router's admin interface:

• davidburnsred
    davidburnsred
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

I don't think it's that, @svondutch. My laptop can communicate with our network printer and other laptops on our networks just fine. I think it's a firewall on my laptop.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@davidburnsred‌, do let us know whether firewall configuration changes solve the problem for you!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@davidburnsred‌ You might need to open port 5353 in your firewall: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2235

• MostlyNoles
    MostlyNoles
    Community Member

@svondutch‌ Thank you very much! That seemed to help my Win 8.1 + iOS 8.0.2 devices. I made a rule to open 5353 inbound and outbound on private networks and it seems much better. Prior to that I always had to disable sync and enable it to see the Win 8.1 machine.

• MostlyNoles
    MostlyNoles
    Community Member

Actually I spoke a bit too soon. It helped the iPad 3, but the iPhone 5s is wonky. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't and I get prompted for the password on the Windows 8.1 machine multiple times while trying to Sync (2-4 times).

iOS 8.0.2
    Windows 8.1 fully patched
    1Password for iOS 5.1 (501017)
    1Password for Windows 4.0.1.503

• MostlyNoles
    MostlyNoles
    Community Member

Additional info:

It seems to be better when I start 1Password fresh on iOS AFTER I put the Windows application in WiFi sync mode. If 1Password on iOS is already open or running in the background, it seems to have trouble finding my laptop to sync, even after hitting refresh multiple times.

• Steven Dillingham
    Steven Dillingham
    Community Member

I have a similar problem. I am able to Sync my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.0.2 no problem, I want to also sync an iPhone 6+ running iOS 8.0.2 but the i6+ does not find the running 1Password running in Windows.

• MostlyNoles
    MostlyNoles
    Community Member

@Steven Dillingham‌ Steven. Try it like this

1. Open to the Wifi screen on Windows.
    2. Close 1Password on iOS totally, ie kill it from background.
    3. Open 1Password on iOS and see if you can see the PC available for Sync.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

I get prompted for the password on the Windows 8.1 machine multiple times while trying to Sync (2-4 times).

@MostlyNoles‌ This problem has been fixed in 4.0.2.BETA-515:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPW4#beta

• MostlyNoles
    MostlyNoles
    Community Member

Excellent @svondutch‌ thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@MostlyNoles - on behalf of svondutch, you're very welcome!

And just a quick FYI, an update was just released for version 4.1.0.520. This is a regular release, not a beta.

This discussion has been closed.