1Password running for multiple users - not needed

Hi, I have a Vista PC with one Admin user and four Standard users. I installed 4.0.1.503 in my user account, a Standard user. Everything seems to work fine.

However, in all of the other user accounts on this PC, 1Password seems to start for all users, as the lock icon appears in the notification area for all users.

I'm the only one with a vault, so how to I enable 1Password for just one Standard user account? Or can I disable it for the other users?

Thanks!

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

When you install 1Password, then it is available to all user accounts. However, the other users do not have access to your 1Password vault because the latter is in your documents.

• newfrog
    newfrog
    Community Member

Okay. That's too bad. Maybe in future versions there can be an install option, whether for the current user, or all users. Other applications do this.
    Also, it's easy to access My Documents of other users, but of course the vault isn't useful in its locked state.
    Thanks.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Also, it's easy to access My Documents of other users,

Only if you're being naughty and running as an administrator. ;-)

To disable 1Password for the other users you need to edit the registry. You will need admin rights for the step 7 below.

1. Open regedit
    2. Find the Run key. Where this will depend on where you're running 64 bit or not. It will either be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
    or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

1. In there you should see a value called "Agile1pAgent"
    2. Copy the name and data values to a notepad.
    3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
    4. Create a new string value and give it the name and data values you copied to notepad.
    5. Delete the value under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE's Run key. Be very careful to check and double what you have selected before you press delete.

What this has effectively done is move the auto-start entry for 1Password from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (the bit of the registry that applies to all users) to HKEY_CURRENT_USER (the bit of the registry that applies only to the currently logged in user).

As with all registry editing, take care. It's easy to break something if you delete or edit the wrong bits.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. This is not supported activity, and the sky's the limit on what could possibly be broken.

• newfrog
    newfrog
    Community Member

Thanks RichardPayne! If I'm having a good day, I may try that. Hopefully, this enhancement will be made in future versions of 1Password, so we don't have to engage in risky registry behavior :)

This discussion has been closed.