iOS 8 and 1Password4/5 breaks internet connection [Use a public DNS server on iOS devices]

Options

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Does anyone else having this issue own a Netgear router? It appears there may be a bug in the firmware on such routers causing the issue.

Cc: @RTBaker‌

• RTBaker
    RTBaker
    Community Member
    Options

No, I'm using an apple AirPort Extreme. Also tried syncing on a friends BT router with the same results

• RTBaker
    RTBaker
    Community Member
    Options

I've just realised that my previous post was incorrect as when I just tried to sync my iPad with 8.0.2 to icloud I got the following error "the operation couldn't be completed. (CKErrorDomain Error 4.). However on the iPad i did not lose Internet connectivity. I've attached a screenshot for info.

• BW24225
    BW24225
    Community Member
    Options

Joined the forum just to post here - interesting to see other people have the same problem!

Like others have posted here, when I open 1Password and try to set up the sync, the internet 'cuts out' on my iPhone 5 (running 8.0.2) and won't come back on for 5-10 minutes... The wi-fi remains connected but nothing will load, websites in Safari will only load to around 10% and it's very frustrating - the quickest fix I've found is to restart my router.

I'm using a router supplied by my ISP, TalkTalk, manufactured by D-Link, if this means anything.

I tested iOS 8 on my iPhone with the developer previews and didn't have a problem until the new release of 1Password when iOS 8 was officially released. Since then I have clean restored my iPhone and without restoring any backup installed 1Password to see if a clean install would do the trick but this still didn't work...

• NickM
    NickM
    Community Member
    Options

When I try to sync to Dropbox, it switches to the Dropbox app, which waits about 10 seconds then tells me "Error loading app info - Internet Connection Lost"

I've tried clearing all 1Password data & settings. Also deleted and reinstalled Dropbox app.

• RTBaker
    RTBaker
    Community Member
    Options

Just wondering if you guys at Agilebits have any information for us users?

There have been a lot of posts about this issue so I was wondering where you had got to in your investigations to fix this problem.

Thanks for your help

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    Options

As mentioned on the previous page: you can try turning al syncing options off or switch off the app refreshing in the background in your iOS settings. If this doesn't help, there is no solution at this point. Trust me, last Tuesday I chatted for 4 hours straight with Netgear support, trying al kinds of stuff in my router settings. None of it helped. I also had extended mail contact with Agile Bits, but no solution there either. Netgear blaims it on Agile Bits, Agile Bits blaims it on Netgear/iOS 8.

Only thing Netgear mentioned, which I haven't tried yet, is to set my ISP modem in Bridge Mode (if you have an extra router plugged in). In order to do that, I have to contact my ISP, which I haven't done yet. No sure how this would help, but you guys could try that.

I will try the app again after the next iOS update. Maybe it helps.

• Ben
    Options

Only thing Netgear mentioned, which I haven't tried yet, is to set my ISP modem in Bridge Mode (if you have an extra router plugged in).

Interesting. It sounds like you have "double NAT" with your current set up... Which can cause all kinds of network related problems but I wouldn't have suspected as an issue here. If you do decide to try it, I'd be very interested to hear the results.

For anyone else reading wondering what the heck double NAT is or if they may have it... You can read more here:

(3rd party article)

One thing they fail to mention is that 172.16.x.x is also private address space (and should not appear on the WAN port of your router).

As for everyone else posting here: As far as I'm aware we have not found a common thread, yet (unless double NAT happens to be it!), between the folks experiencing this issue. None of us at AgileBits are seeing it on our own devices, and we've only had a relative few customers report it.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi All,

One thing we have noticed so far is that everyone who has written in (at least those that I have talked to) seem to be running two separate routers. I can't help but think at this point that somehow the configuration of the routers may be part of the issue. I'm not totally sure if it's double NAT (one user reports being in a bridged mode, which wouldn't produce a double nat scenario) but it certainly brought up the fact that each person I've talked to about this in our support queue have two routers.

If you're having this issue and reading this, I'd be really curious if you could post your router's make and model along with the mode in which they are configured (bridged or not). If you have only a single router in use that is causing this then I'd be even more curious since it would rule out a few things, but thus far each person seems to have two routers so far as I can tell and I'd be curious if that holds true with anyone else I have not yet talked to.

Above @sausbert said we blamed Netgear, I'm not sure that's totally accurate but I do believe there is something unique about the Netgear since it's quite clear that it only happens when that Netgear router is active. As mentioned in the discussion I had in our support system and I'm sure in this thread, once the Netgear router was pulled out of equation everything worked fine for sausbert.

It could also be iOS 8, by now I think many of us have run into a variety of issues with iOS 8 on our own, I wouldn't count out there being some sort of issue there either. The problem is how you determine exactly what the cause is when neither of them are your own system. With 1Password we use standard TCP/IP sockets and Apple's libraries. We do use a third party library for wifi sync but it wouldn't change anything with standard use of the application, which uses all Apple provided libraries. This, to me, sounds like we aren't at fault. I could be wrong on this but based on the above scenario where:

1) Users seemingly have two routers in use when the issue occurs

2) At least one situation where one router was removed from the equation the issue goes away.

I can't help but think that the logical next step is that either two routers are partially to blame or that maybe there's an incompatibility between iOS 8 and these routers in a particular configuration. I'm happy to be proven wrong as any information that contradicts this would help us get closer to a resolution.

Thanks for your patience while we work through this, it's not a very easy issue to troubleshoot and we appreciate you all being willing to help.

• caliban10
    caliban10
    Community Member
    Options

I have similar: router Thomson TG585 v7, through an Apple Time Capsule in bridged mode. Though the inability for 1password on my iphone 6 plus to sync happens via 3G and not just via wifi & the router. I have had to reset my network settings on it after trying to sync with 1password.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@caliban10 That's interesting. Everyone so far seems to have indicated that it happens on wifi and at least one report showing that removing one router from the equation has solved the issue. This still makes me think there's some fundamental issues with iOS 8's networking stack. If others report the same thing happening while not on Wifi then I think that's further proof that something is going wrong in iOS 8. I think we need to get more data if possible from more users to see if we can narrow this down further :)

• CKO
    CKO
    Community Member
    Options

Don't think I'm posting something new, but same thing happens to me.
    I have 1password on iPAD (4/retina) with ios8. When I launch 1password the wifi breaks for all wifi devices (wired LAN is ok).
    To fix the wifi I have to reboot the router.
    My network setup is a cable modem (Cisco) with Netgear router WNDR4000.
    This is a setup that worked flawlessly for 3 years and also worked ok when I updated to ios8.
    Issue started when I tried 1password, and only happens when using 1password.

If it's worth anything, and sorry for mentioning competing apps, other password apps (and any other app too for that matter) work just fine.

I tried blocking all 1password update/sync/etc. doesn't help.

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    Options

Just so we're clear: I did not actually removed or switched off my Netgear router. I just connected to my ISP's router, which works fine when using the app.

• Ben
    Options

Folks,

If you are having this issue please try removing the double NAT from your network environment:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htm

To do so you may need to switch one of the routers to bridge mode or remove the extra router.

Thanks.

• CKO
    CKO
    Community Member
    Options

I don't have double NAT and still have this issue.
    The cable modem doesn't have NAT and provide the direct ISP assigned IP to the Netgear router.
    The only NAT is on the Netgear router.

Are you saying that 1Password can't work with this simple straightforward network setup?

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@CKO If you read through the rest of the comments here, particularly from myself, I'm pretty confident this is a bug in iOS 8. The trouble is trying to prove it and I may not be able to do that. There are 40+ of us on the team here at AgileBits, and none of us are experiencing this issue (except myself, and it only happened once) which makes me think it comes down to particular network configurations or particular network hardware that triggers the issue more frequently.

I have had this happen once to me but I was not using 1Password at the time it happened. I think this helps prove that it's not 1Password at fault but again, since I cannot prove it there is obviously some doubt in the equation. However, I have done some looking around on Apple's support forums and I am seeing a variety of threads that have posts from other users who are seeing eerily similar behaviors as those in the thread here.

For example, here's a thread with at least 2-3 people having the same issues: https://discussions.apple.com/message/26645046#26645046

You have to weed through the complaining but there are at least a few references that sound a lot like what we're seeing in this thread.

We're doing what we can to look into this more, but unfortunately I'm coming up short on finding a way to diagnose this one.

• CKO
    CKO
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Sorry to mention a competing app, but hopefully it can help...
    I was able to reproduce the same behaviour using Dashlane. I enabled the safari extension of Dashlane on the iPad and when tried to auto fill password it broke the wifi. This doesn't happen when using Dashlane internal browser, just when using the Safari extension.

Don't know if 1Password uses similar libraries when syncing or with its internal browser, but the failed wifi is the same (which leads me to believe it is related to ios and its Safari extension/libraries).

Hope it helps :)

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    Options

Can anyone confirm that bridge mode resolves the issue?

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Sausbert‌

Doesn't look like it's related to that, but you should certainly switch to bridge mode if possible as you may see issues by not. As explained by the article Ben linked to, it can cause some issues, particularly with accessing devices across subnets.

@CKO I'm not able to recreate with Dashlane, but I think that falls in line with what we've seen so far in that only a few people are in fact seeing it. But, your ability to recreate it with Dashlane does seem to prove that it isn't a bug in 1Password but a bug in iOS 8. The issue now is that it would be great if we could figure out exactly what is triggering the behavior so we can properly report to Apple.

For some reason the Dashlane Safari extension doesn't seem to do anything for me when I invoke it, which is rather odd.

I'd be curious if anyone else who is having the issue can recreate it with Dashlane as well, or any other app for that matter, since it would be further confirmation that it's an iOS 8 thing.

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    Options

I just tried to reproduce the issue at my parents house. They have exactly the same ISP modem and exactly the same Netgear router and guess what? No problem here. Pretty weird.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014
    Options

@Sausbert I think given that plus @CKO saying Dashlane showed the same thing for him then we're pretty close to being able to confirm it isn't 1Password that's the root cause, just that it's possible 1Password is somehow triggering a bug somewhere else.

At least we've narrowed that down a bit, but I'd love to see if we can hunt down the root cause so we can properly report it to Apple. Bugs like this are super hard to report though because we don't really understand what is causing the issue and therefore cannot recreate it, this makes it hard to report but also impossible for Apple to fix.

Are you only seeing this happen when you do something specific in 1Password or does it only take opening the application? If I can narrow down certain actions that cause it I can look in the code to see if we can narrow it down to certain API calls that could be triggering it. This would at least let me try to look deeper into the issue and maybe give you some tips to try for us to learn more.

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    Options

Just opening and logging in.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the continued feedback on this.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @‌Sausbert

Sorry for the delay in responding here. I had to dive in really deep on the code here to see how this all worked under the hood to get a better idea of what actually happens when we unlock. I assume you meant unlocking when you said "logging in" so that's what I looked at very specifically.

So, looking at the code, we:

1) Start up Bonjour for wifi sync
    2) Start up replicator for Dropbox sync (this won't do anything if Dropbox is not configured)
    3) Upon unlocking we sync (note that replication just copies data locally, then sync is done after unlocking)

Something I'd love to have you try, if you have already done this please let me know if it helped or not, but try disabling sync in 1Password. Simply goto Settings->Sync and tap the service name at the top, you'll see an option to stop syncing.

Does the issue persist after doing this? You may have to let the network issue resolve itself first and then test though as the next time you open the app it will still sync before you turn it off.

There's no way to turn off the bonjour service so we can't easily test that one. But if it continues I think that might be the only other network activity we're doing on launch.

Let me know if that helps any. It would at least help us narrow things down further.

Once complete, you can re-enable sync, just be aware you'll need to tap the "More Info" button and "Merge these vaults anyway" buttons to get things back in sync. Otherwise you're set for this test :)

• edallas
    edallas
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm.... tried a different router. I was using a cisco rv180 with a belkin F9K1103 as a access point. Things seem to work now with a asus wireless router (all in one). The belkin access point had been a bit slow for a while and the cisco router firmware was always a disappointment - it always worked though. I think maybe there is something that was subtly changed in iOS8. Maybe with the next iOS release things will get better

• Hi @edallas,

Thanks so much for letting us know. The more information we have, the better we can write up our bug report with Apple on this.

• CKO
    CKO
    Community Member
    Options

@AGKyle‌
    I am now convinced it is an iOS8 issue or a combination of iOS8 and netgear router (probably just iOS as others with different routers are also affected).
    I was able to resolve this by doing a simple thing... Change the wifi setting on the idevice to use a DNS -OTHER- than the router IP. You can use whichever public or ISP DNS of your liking and voilla, no more breaking of the wifi.

Hope this workaround helps until this gets a real fix.

CKO

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    Options

Already tried all that Kyle. No luck.

• Hi guys,

@CKO, that's weird but Bonjour and DNS could be related here.

@Sausbert, can you try changing the DNS servers to a public one like OpenDNS or Google on your iOS device see if it works? Your parents might be using different ones from yours, which could explain this.

• BW24225
    BW24225
    Community Member
    Options

@CKO @MikeT‌ Changing my DNS settings on both my iPhone and iPad to OpenDNS have got 1Password sync working again! So pleased to have 1Password back on my mobile devices... Hope this problem gets sorted eventually but OpenDNS is fine for now! Thanks guys.

This discussion has been closed.