iOS 8 and 1Password4/5 breaks internet connection [Use a public DNS server on iOS devices]

Options
13»

Comments

• Hi @BW24225,

Wow, that's great news. We're getting somewhere close to where we can let Apple know what's going on.

Hopefully, sausbert can confirm as well.

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    Options

How do I do that?

• CKO
    CKO
    Community Member
    Options

@Sausbert‌
    Go to settings in the iDevice.
    Press "wifi"
    Press the info for the wireless network you are connected to (that little "i")
    You will see DNS witch an IP address and normally it is the IP address of your router. Just change it to a public DNS (like Google at 8.8.8.8) or your ISP DNS IP (sometimes it is faster).

Go back and you are done.

• CKO
    CKO
    Community Member
    Options

Oh and I forgot, sometimes you have to turn off and back on the iDevice for the setting to take effect. But you can try just disabling the wifi and enabling it again.

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    Options

Okay guys, changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 actually works! Can I keep it this way or does this have any (long term) disadvantages? Would like to know that before I start using 1Password again.

• CKO
    CKO
    Community Member
    Options

Only disadvantage is that it may not be the fastest DNS out there. You can download a PC DNS benchmark software to find the fastest public DNS (called GRC DNS Benchmark), or just use the DNS provided by your ISP (your router should show it in its setup).

Glad I could help solve this issue :wink:

• Sausbert
    Sausbert
    Community Member
    Options

But that would only apply to the speed of the internet on my phone, isn't it? I tried a speedtest before changing the DNS and after, and it makes no difference. I have a 180 Mb/s connection and my phone reaches about 70, using the Speedtest.net app. Pretty fast. I assume a phone doesn't reach 180?

• CKO
    CKO
    Community Member
    Options

It has no meaning for the speed of the Internet. All the DNS does is translate Server name to IP. So the initial "identification of the server can take some milliseconds more, that's it.
    Your internet speed is the same regardless of what DNS you are using.

• Correct, your internet speed remains the same.

The only tiny difference you may see is when you visit a site you never visited in the past, in which case, it might be slightly faster. The DNS server is contacted to figure out what the site's IP address is, so it can go there. When the DNS responds with the IP address, it will be cached on your iOS devices and the DNS server won't be contacted again if you visit the site again. So, it is a very tiny difference that you would notice infrequently.

• CKO
    CKO
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT, @AGKyle,
    So no prize for solving the issue and finding a way to help your users keep enjoying 1Password? ;)
    License for iOS/Windows would really be nice... hint...hint... ;)

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@CKO I've sent a private message. Thanks again for your help.

• Delaminus
    Delaminus
    Community Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi all.
    Thank goodness for this thread! I have been having this issue with 1P since getting the iPhone 6 and it has been driving me nuts.
    Guys at Agile, you may like to know that I had the same data lock out behaviour described throughout this thread both on Wifi and mobile data network.
    This was triggered by 1P, but it was also triggered independently by Dropbox's automatic picture upload service - exactly the same issue: try and sync or set up sync and all data froze for the whole phone.
    I have changed my phone wifi DNS to google and immediately 1P synced fine. The relief is enormous, I can tell you - it was really starting to become an issue!
    Hope this helps you root out the fault with Apple.
    Cheers everyone who figured that work-around, you are fab.

Addendum:
    For what it's worth, this fix did not solve the Dropbox picture upload issue.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it solved the issue with 1Password. :)

• scrotd
    scrotd
    Community Member
    Options

I get the CKErrorDomain error 4 when i first install the app on an iphone 5c, and Sync with an existing vault on the iCloud?

• Ben
    Options

@scrotd‌

Have you tried the DNS server fix mentioned in this thread?

This discussion has been closed.