Feature request: use a vault per-profile with multiple Chrome profiles and multiple vaults?

Options
jkp
jkp
Community Member

Hi there

I don't believe this is possible today so please correct me if I'm wrong. I use multiple Chrome browser user profiles to separate out my work and home browsing sessions and settings. I configured 1Password to use multiple vaults (one for work, one for personal stuff) and wanted to use the appropriate vault with the corresponding Chrome profile. The problem is that when I switch vaults in one of the profiles, it changes the active vault in the other.

I'm not sure where the Chrome extension saves it's settings but it looks like the settings are shared across Chrome profiles - would there be a way to change things so they are stored in a location per-profile?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're correct, @jkp. Currently 1Password's preferences are global (i.e. not specific to a Chrome profile), but I'll certainly pass your feature request along to the developers. I don't think this is the first time it's come up. :)

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know.

Cheers!

• jkp
    jkp
    Community Member
    Options

For sure I think it would make multiple vaults more useful if this was at least an option. I realise that you guys have to prioritise things - is there any way to know how likely this is to get looked at?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We don't normally pre-announce new features or products (or give time frames for them) as there are simply too many factors affecting their release. We would hate to give some info and have to change course for some reason — possibly even a reason beyond our control — and it just breaks our heart to let folks down. I do hope you can understand.

Offhand, I'm not even sure of the feasibility of such a feature, but I've passed it along to the team for review. :)

• floehopper
    floehopper
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to see this feature too. I make extensive use of Chrome profiles and 1Password vaults. I wrote up a bit about it here - http://gofreerange.com/multiple-google-chrome-profiles.

• Hi @floehopper,

Thanks for sharing your use case with us, that is helpful!

• AriPorad
    AriPorad
    Community Member
    Options

Just +1ing(tm) this. I could use this too.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We'll certainly take that into account @AriPorad :smile:

• jsok
    jsok
    Community Member
    Options

This would be a massive improvement! Having to constantly switch vaults is really tedious. +100 from me :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jsok,

Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see that feature in 1Password! I'll add your feedback to our internal tracker.

For now, in case it helps, you can use keyboard shortcuts in the main 1Password app or 1Password mini / browser extension to easily switch between vaults: ⌘1 is for the Primary vault, ⌘2 is for the secondary vault (if you have more vaults, they'll use ⌘3, ⌘4, and so on, in the order they're listed in 1Password). If you don't already use those shortcuts, they should make it easier for you to switch between your vaults.

If you need anything else, just let us know! :)

ref: OPM-3036

This discussion has been closed.