1st time user need guidance

souwalker
souwalker
Community Member
Hello

Here's where I am so far.

I got 1Password installed on my iPhone 4. All necessary password created and a few accounts and logins created to.

I already have dropbox on my windows PC. Have been using dropbox for almost a year with a budget software.

I now see 1Password windows version is out of beta and I plan to use the 30 day trial sometime this weekend.

I need guidance as to what to do next. I've looked at the installation guide but I may have missed something....

Am I correct in saying that since I already have 1Password on my iPhone and have already created some logins and accounts data, I should already have a database in my phone?

I install the windows version and it ask me to either create a new keychain or use an existing keychain. This is taken from the online guide.

In my circumstances above, what do I select?
What do I need to do with Dropbox which is already in my windows PC? Do I need to create a folder or will 1Password detect that I already have dropbox and create the necessary folder for me?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Rgds
Patrick

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Patrick

I am not really versed in the Win version just plink around at it a bit. (I just cant leave my Mac) :lol:
    But yes you do have a data file on your phone.

khad or David or one of the others will most likely be around soon and they can answer you better on how to proceed. I mainly just wanted you to know your post was seen etc.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey Patrick,

Please take a look at our Dropbox sync guide and pay close attention to the first step. It must be initiated from a Mac or PC. Your phone contains data but not a data file per se. That is to say, Dropbox sync requires an Agile Keychain File which is only created by 1Password for Mac and Windows at this time. The data is stored in a different format in iOS.

You can safely ignore most of what I just explained as long as you follow that guide very carefully. :-)

Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers!
  • souwalker
    souwalker
    Community Member
    edited December 2010
    khad wrote:

Hey Patrick,

Please take a look at our Dropbox sync guide and pay close attention to the first step. It must be initiated from a Mac or PC. Your phone contains data but not a data file per se. That is to say, Dropbox sync requires an Agile Keychain File which is only created by 1Password for Mac and Windows at this time. The data is stored in a different format in iOS.

You can safely ignore most of what I just explained as long as you follow that guide very carefully. :-)

Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

I found the My Dropbox folder in windows. I create a folder there.

Do I also need to create a 1Password folder in my actual DropBox account (www.dropbox.com)? Or my phone will sync straight to the 1Password folder in windows?

The instructions also say to drag my existing 1password.agilekeychanin folder. I don't have one yet. The guide is all over the shop:-)

Rgds
  • teedoff087
    teedoff087
    Community Member
    souwalker wrote:

I found the My Dropbox folder in windows. I create a folder there.

Do I also need to create a 1Password folder in my actual DropBox account (www.dropbox.com)? Or my phone will sync straight to the 1Password folder in windows?

The instructions also say to drag my existing 1password.agilekeychanin folder. I don't have one yet. The guide is all over the shop:-)

Rgds

You have to store your 1Password.agilekeychain file (or folder as you call it) in your Dropbox folder. In order for it to sync successfully between your Mac and Windows machine, you have to "point" to the 1Password.agilekeychain file in the preferences of 1Password (on your Mac AND on your Windows machine).

Once the sync is setup between your Mac and Windows machines, only then try Dropbox sync on your phone.
  • souwalker
    souwalker
    Community Member
    teedoff087 wrote:

You have to store your 1Password.agilekeychain file (or folder as you call it) in your Dropbox folder. In order for it to sync successfully between your Mac and Windows machine, you have to "point" to the 1Password.agilekeychain file in the preferences of 1Password (on your Mac AND on your Windows machine).

Once the sync is setup between your Mac and Windows machines, only then try Dropbox sync on your phone.

Thanks
  • souwalker
    souwalker
    Community Member
    I can see 1Password will work by auto putting username/password into websites logins. It works for gmail and Facebook online. What about iPhone apps? I have FB, my bank's app, and a few others which does not auto- fill. Is this correct?

Do I need to copy/paste then? How does copy/paste work on 1Password? I use alot of iPhone apps to do banking etc and I am still typing in username/password.

I also created a login for my online Dropbox account. As part of this setup, I typed in the url, my username/password. I tap the url link in 1Password but I still need to type in my username/password whereas if I tap my gmail url, 1Password auto-fills user name/password.

Rgds
    Pat
  • souwalker
    souwalker
    Community Member
    edited December 2010
    I got syncing all going well now. Thanks.

One question. I went into my banks online banking site and I logged in. 1Password prompted me to save the username and password. I did. If I go to 1Password Windows version, I see my online banking username/password.

I now go to the bank online banking site and the username/password is not auto filled in. In fact when I enter my username/password, 1Password as me again if I wanted to save the username/password.

Am I missing something? I thought 1Password will auto-fill the username/password? Or must I do something else?

I also see something I do not understand. I go into 1Password Windows and look at my Bank login details by selecting the 'Edit' button. The username is correct but the password is not the same as the password I typed in? Both username/Password in 1Password shows as username_temp and password_temp and the password value is incorrect. This is the reason when I try to login online for banking and use '1P' Firefox integration, selecting Login with Westpac Bank fails. The password saved in 1Password is wrong. What's happening?

Many Thanks
    Pat
  • teedoff087
    teedoff087
    Community Member
    souwalker wrote:

I got syncing all going well now. Thanks.

One question. I went into my banks online banking site and I logged in. 1Password prompted me to save the username and password. I did. If I go to 1Password Windows version, I see my online banking username/password.

I now go to the bank online banking site and the username/password is not auto filled in. In fact when I enter my username/password, 1Password as me again if I wanted to save the username/password.

Am I missing something? I thought 1Password will auto-fill the username/password? Or must I do something else?

I also see something I do not understand. I go into 1Password Windows and look at my Bank login details by selecting the 'Edit' button. The username is correct but the password is not the same as the password I typed in? Both username/Password in 1Password shows as username_temp and password_temp and the password value is incorrect. This is the reason when I try to login online for banking and use '1P' Firefox integration, selecting Login with Westpac Bank fails. The password saved in 1Password is wrong. What's happening?

Many Thanks
    Pat

Whether or not autofill works depends on what browser you use (autofill doesn't work in Chrome yet).

If your username/password are not autofilled when you go to a site, you can fill out the username/password fields by either clicking the 1P button in your browser's toolbar or using the keyboard shortcut you have set in 1Password's preferences window.
  • souwalker
    souwalker
    Community Member
    edited December 2010
    teedoff087 wrote:

Whether or not autofill works depends on what browser you use (autofill doesn't work in Chrome yet).

If your username/password are not autofilled when you go to a site, you can fill out the username/password fields by either clicking the 1P button in your browser's toolbar or using the keyboard shortcut you have set in 1Password's preferences window.

I am using Firefox.
  • souwalker
    souwalker
    Community Member
    edited December 2010
    Why is the password in 1Password for my bank site not the same as what I typed in? It's completely different...

Because it is different, my logins are failing.

Maybe my bank online site does not allow saving the password?

Rgds
  • souwalker
    souwalker
    Community Member
    I have a few iphone apps which i use to do my banking, order movie tickets, order pizza, and say the PayPal and/or eBay apps. All require username (either digits or email) and passwords. How do I use 1Password with those apps? Or can't I?

Or 1Password only workable with websites?

Rgds
  • teedoff087
    teedoff087
    Community Member
    souwalker wrote:

I have a few iphone apps which i use to do my banking, order movie tickets, order pizza, and say the PayPal and/or eBay apps. All require username (either digits or email) and passwords. How do I use 1Password with those apps? Or can't I?

Or 1Password only workable with websites?

Rgds

In that case, you have to switch to the 1Password app, find the right account, copy the password, then switch back to the previous app.
  • souwalker
    souwalker
    Community Member
    teedoff087 wrote:

In that case, you have to switch to the 1Password app, find the right account, copy the password, then switch back to the previous app.

How can I achieve copying/pasting username/password from 1Password to the apps?

I 1Paasword, when I tap the username or password, 'Copy' pops up in black callout. I go the the apps username or password field and tap but it's not copying.I do not see a 'paste' option.

Rgds
  • teedoff087
    teedoff087
    Community Member
    souwalker wrote:

How can I achieve copying/pasting username/password from 1Password to the apps?

I 1Paasword, when I tap the username or password, 'Copy' pops up in black callout. I go the the apps username or password field and tap but it's not copying.I do not see a 'paste' option.

Rgds

Make sure that when you have the field selected (that you are pasting to) that you tap the field again to get the paste option.

What I usually do is manually type in the username, click the home button twice (to open the app switcher to 1Password), find the password i need, tap the password field to copy.

Then when I switch back to the previous app with the app switcher, the password field is already selected so I can just tap the password field one more time to get the paste option.
  • souwalker
    souwalker
    Community Member
    teedoff087 wrote:

Make sure that when you have the field selected (that you are pasting to) that you tap the field again to get the paste option.

Got it. Works now :-)

Thanks
    Pat
This discussion has been closed.