Personal and Work

Question.

I use 1Password on my work Windows PC, my home Windows and Home Mac PC and my iPhone.

I would like to be able to isolate things for work and personal, yet be able to have access to both from all machines. By same token, be able to remove access to my personal (or password protect) accounts.

One of the problems is that I have a personal dropbox account and a work dropbox account. Right now, the only realistic way I see to keep things in sync is to use the work dropbox.

I could use iCloud for Mac and iPhone, but that won't work with Windows side.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish what I want to do?

Thank you ahead of time.

Comments

• jeffbob_pdx
    jeffbob_pdx
    Community Member

Try some of the solutions here: http://goo.gl/8mx6eP

One of the ones that's mentioned in the article is sharing a Dropbox folder with another user; you could create a folder in your business Dropbox account called 1Pass_Business, and put the vault there. Create a folder on your home computer called 1Pass_Personal and then share it with your business account.

When you're at work, you can switch back and forth between which vault to use. You're going to run into issues though on the mobile device. Not sure you can choose which vault to log into on mobile.

I think you may be overcomplicating the issue though. I would just create one vault, and either tag business items with 'Business', or put them in a business folder. Sync it to your work Dropbox account. Share the folder with your home account. It's not like anyone else can get into it. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The only trouble with using the work account is that you don't have control of it if you leave, or are removed. If the vaults live on your personal account and you share them with your work account then you can easily revoke access, and delete remote content.

To fair, @jeffbob_pdx‌ is right that this is a little paranoid. Provided your master password is strong, it doesn't really matter if you personal vault falls into the wrong hands.

• jeffbob_pdx
    jeffbob_pdx
    Community Member

Do we know if 1Pass will sync files located in Box, or Google Drive, or some other sync'd folder that the user could use rather than Dropbox? I'm new to 1Pass and too lazy to go look. LOL

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

For the desktop versions, sure. It's just file sync.

For the mobile versions the app itself needs to talk to the sync service because of the way the OS sandboxes apps' access to data. The 1Password apps will only talk to Dropbox.
    I think someone found a sync app that would sync data across app folders but I can't remember what it was.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Here are the supported options for syncing your 1Password data.

This discussion has been closed.