Noob question - please outline use cases for Logins, Wallet, & Accounts

I'm coming from Safewallet (SW), and I'm trying to wrap my head around 1Password (1P). Love it so far, but want to make sure I'm understanding what the intended purpose of Logins, Wallet, and Accounts is. For instance, in SW, there was a section called Websites that contained the URL/username/password for Sites that I visited. Seems like that would be the same as 'Logins' in 1P, right?

In addition, I also have a 'card' in SW for the same site, but it might contain notes, and things about that account. If I were to replicate that workflow (and I'm not saying it's the best workflow, just familiar, LOL), would I create an Account card or a Wallet card in 1P?

Here's a perfect example: in SW I have a card in a Finances and Bills folder for Wells Fargo. It has the phone number, account number, username, password, URL, and security questions to access the website. The first time I clicked on the URL in the card in SW, it opened my browser and filled in the UN and PW. SW then asked me if I'd like to save that login, which I did, and it creates the entry in the Websites folder. Doing a search for Wells Fargo would pull up both cards; one would contain all of the information I mentioned above, and the other only has the URL, UN, and PW.

So, here I am in 1P. Need to create an entry for Wells Fargo; do I create an Account, or a Wallet entry? I'm assuming that once I log into the Wells Fargo site, a Logins card will be created much like SW did.

What types of items would you put in which category?

Comments

• jeffbob_pdx
    jeffbob_pdx
    Community Member

nm... I might have answered my own question. :) Clicking on either of the categories opens up sub-categories with examples of predetermined cards, so something like Wells Fargo would just be an account I guess.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

You've got it about right.

For your Wells Fargo example, I'd have a login plus various Credit Cards and Bank Accounts. Unfortunately logins can not have custom fields but the wallet entries can so you can stick phone numbers, etc. on them.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Logins can have custom fields.

But I agree that creating separate items is best since Credit Card items can be used to fill credit card information, and Logins can be used to fill login credentials.

I have a Login item for filling my username and password on wellsfargo.com, a Credit Card item for filling my Wells Fargo credit card when I make online purchases, and a Bank Account item for looking up my Wells Fargo account and routing numbers.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Sorry, you're absolutely correct. Brain fart.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

@jeffbob_pdx‌ i'm in a similar situation as you but i'm moving over from Roboform. In Roboform you have safenotes and logins so it pretty much matches how 1password can store data. Having the ability to create custom fields is making me look at this though. Some of the information i've been storing in safe notes I could now move into the login via custom fields removing the need for a separate safe note.

Custom fields was one of the nice surprises when I starting using 1P.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Beware, if you use Android, 1Password can not display the custom fields you created on Windows or Mac. It's on the todo list I believe but as usual, there's no idea of timescales.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

Thanks for the warning Richard. I'm using iPhone.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I don't know about the iOS version. Worth asking the question in the relevant forum to make sure custom fields are supported on that platform.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@RichardPayne‌ @reck‌ 1Password for iOS supports custom fields.

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member

This seems over complicated and is hard to keep track of

QUOTE:
    "I have a Login item for filling my username and password on wellsfargo.com, a Credit Card item for filling my Wells Fargo credit card when I make online purchases, and a Bank Account item for looking up my Wells Fargo account and routing numbers."

When online or on the phone, searching for security codes in the small item windows is a challenge.

The accept button scrolls off the screen

the program needs the print function of 1PW3 for MAC

I am not clear which fields will expand the window with data entry, some appear to, some not, and annoyingly , The accept button scrolls off the screen
    a part of the awkwardness of editing a file.

keeping track of the linked files like the one quoated above is inelegant, and

there is not a natural consistent labeling (may or may not include a similar name in each new record eg 1password/ agilebits won't show up in the same search )
    In the past I could search for a data or number string across my whole account.

and searching does not cross categories

IF 1PW has a comprehensive help index, I haven't been able to find it. I have to use Google and hunt, and this dissuades use.

Richard

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014

I'm afraid I can't address your 1Password for iOS issues, @Iwouldrathernot‌.

Printing. Export your Login items to CSV, and open them in a spreadsheet program or text editor, where you can format them any way you like for printing.

"Linked" items. Assuming you mean a Login item, a Bank Account item, and a Credit Card item, you could create a folder named Wells Fargo and drag them all there, or you could apply a WellsFargo tag to both of them. You could even do both. :)

Labeling. The same tag can be applied to any type of item. Searching for the tag returns a hit for each tagged item.

Searching. As noted in the user's guide, you can select the All built-in folder before typing the search string; pressing Ctrl+F causes the All folder to be selected automatically. In either case, you're searching across categories.

Help. Have you tried the Help > 1Password User's Guide command, @Iwouldrathernot‌? Anything not found in the user's guide should be covered in the knowledgebase (accessible from the Still need help? section, near the bottom of the user's guide TOC).

• Iwouldrathernot
    Iwouldrathernot
    Community Member

Thanks very much to DB and Richard Payne

PRINTING is just kludgey and has security concerns with unencrypted files being generated that need to be tracked . 1PW3 mac had it right.

Will try your "LINKED ITEM " suggestion and tagging

Searching in "ALL" adds a step but is the answer. I assumed it was the default.

I'm in 1.0.9 1PW win. I am gun shy on updates of stable systems after a problematic update with my prior PW program left me in the dark for weeks

of course that is a rare occurrence uh, iOS 8.0.1 =8-(

The fact that different help files for different versions all seem to look alike adds another thing to watch out for

Good program , but requiring a lot of work to keep simple. Seems one step forward often requires a bunch of other steps. HiHo
    Prior program didn't do a lot but was easy to stay on top of.

Thanks again

R

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on these issues, @Iwouldrathernot‌!

This discussion has been closed.