Auto login for Windows?

Hello,

I am trying to convert over from a competing product. One thing that I am having issues with is it seems like I have to type my master password a lot.

In the other product, I could set it so if I logged into Windows with a secure PW, it auto unlocked my vault in the web plugin. Is there a similar setting in 1Password? If not, how do people have it set up so it's not asking for your pw every few minutes?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I doubt this is possible. You need the mp to decrypt your data. The only way to do that without you entering it is store it on the system somewhere which is massively insecure.

What is the other product?

All of 1Password's lock options are on the security tab in Preferences. You might also want to consider the universal unlock option on the browsers tab.

• Dang
    Dang
    Community Member

Hi, I have 2 concern with this app.

1) once I login to 1pw in browser pulgin, it stays unlock for that particular session. In that session it doesnot ask me for password for any saved login website.which is scary for me as
    Some1 else may use my browser plugin at that time to login into any account he wants. What i want even in unlock session it should ask for master password, I know many people may not like but it could be made preference driven.

2) in open password application all information is decrypted. Anyone can see password and login username for particular account. I think it should make information encrypted even in open application for accounts name and password way banks do.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Brad_I, please see Excessive data locking for related information. Security-related preferences appear on the Security, Browsers, and General tabs.

@Dang, (1) disabling the Universal Unlock option will require you to unlock the 1Password extension, even when the main program (or the helper, if you have the System Tray option enabled) is unlocked; (2) unlocking your data means it's accessible, but you can use the auto-lock options to control how quickly it locks itself again.

• Brad_I
    Brad_I
    Community Member

Richard, I am using Roboform.

What I am looking for is a mix of security and convenience. If I have to type a long password every time I visit a different website, it becomes too cumbersome for me to use.

Hope this makes sense

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Brad_I, use the auto-lock options to control how quickly 1Password locks your vault, once you've unlocked it. Granted, you must do that at least once per Windows session; otherwise, 1Password would hardly be a security tool.

• Brad_I
    Brad_I
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I would like to understand your perspective better. If my PC is locked with a password and 1Password was to lock and unlock every time I logged in or out of the PC, why would that not be secure?

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

Well imagine this scenario :

• someone gains access to your Windows password
    • that someone opens your Windows session
    • 1Password unlocks itself automatically
    • The intruder can see everything in your vault, if you have very sensitive info, it's compromised
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

And Windows passwords are really not that secure.

• J.M
    J.M
    Community Member

Indeed, a simple boot cd with a password clearing tool and you're good to go :-D

• Brad_I
    Brad_I
    Community Member

Ha! I hadn't thought of the password tool. Thanks for the reminder

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

It's simply not possible at this time to set up 1Password to unlock without a master password having been entered at least once per session.

• Brad_I
    Brad_I
    Community Member

Right. That point was already established.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the redundancy.

This discussion has been closed.