IE vs Firefox - specify which to use

It is very convenient to hit the URL in 1Password and have it open the browser and take me to the correct site.
-- Unfortunately, there are some sites that only work in Internet Explorer and my default browser is Firefox.
It would be great to have a field where we could specify which browser to use.
Thanks for considering

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

It would be great to have a field where we could specify which browser to use.

You can do this in two places:

1. Click on: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > General
    2. Under "Double-click", change this to: "Open URL in web browser"
    3. Select on your web browser

or you can do this here:

1. Click on: Logins (in the upper-left quadrant)
    2. Right-click on a Login item (in the upper-right quadrant)
    3. Click on: Open in >
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I think what @David_Newman‌ is getting at is that certain, badly written, sites will always need to be opened in IE. A dropdown on the item edit window with the four browser options, plus "Default" would be nice. Most logins will be "Default" which means use the standard setting in Prefs. However, for some logins you could override the default setting and specify to always open in IE.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I think what @David_Newman‌ is getting at is that certain, badly written, sites will always need to be opened in IE

I see. Doesn't the (right-click) popup menu solve this problem?

A dropdown on the item edit window with the four browser options, plus "Default" would be nice.

I'd rather not add MORE settings unless we absolutely have to.

• David_Newman
    David_Newman
    Community Member

First, Mr. Payne is right. The problem is that some of the sites I'm forced to use for business will only run in IE, and I would like to be able to specify that.
    Because of that, the issue has to be site-specific rather than setting a preference for all sites.

I'm using version 4.0.1.503 and when I right-click on Logins in the bar on the left, nothing happens. When I right click on the URL for the site, nothing happens.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

...when I right-click on Logins in the bar on the left, nothing happens. When I right click on the URL for the site, nothing happens.

What about when you right-click on the Login item in the list area of the main 1Password window, @David_Newman‌?

• David_Newman
    David_Newman
    Community Member

That works - not a permanent fix, but a good one. Thanks.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Glad to help. Thank you for using 1Password!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I see. Doesn't the (right-click) popup menu solve this problem?

It does, but it also requires that the user remember which sites need a specific browser, which isn't ideal.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @RichardPayne - as always, we appreciate the feedback!

• David_Newman
    David_Newman
    Community Member

What I do to help me remember that this site needs a specific browser is to make it part of the name of the site - for example "Agile Bits - IE" or "Google - Chrome." Not ideal, but it works.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@David_Newman ++ Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.