Windows authentication dialogues

How do I go about creating logins for websites that use Windows authentication popup dialogue type boxes?

With Roboform there’s no distinction a normal login and one of these when you come to create or use one of these type of logins. You just go to the URL as normal and when the login dialogue pops up Roboform fills in the credentials and I’m in.

Creating a normal login with 1P doesn’t work. I’ve attempted to create a login manually and then control+click on the add url button but this just ties it to something generic called “MozillaDialogClass”. This does allow me to fill in the dialogue using 1P but because it’s generic every website that uses the windows authentication type dialogue ties into the same “url” so when I tell it to fill the form I get a large list of every website that uses this type of authentication. Is there a better way?

Unfortunately a lot of the corporate sites I connect to use these kind of login boxes so I have a fair few of them.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Please see the Creating a multiple-page Login article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide, @reck, and let us know whether that helps.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@reck, I suspect you'll probably need to use the auto-type feature those since they are native windows, not HTML pages. You might be able to save an application login but I suspect that the handle that 1Password stores wouldn't be unique enough, so you'd end up with all such logins being displayed when you press Ctrl+\. Still, worth a try.

• reck
    reck
    Community Member

I'm getting the impression this isn't really supported and i'm left with work-arounds.

Mr Brown I suppose this may help with the naming, but the whole manual saving and selecting window handles seems very clunky for simply saving a login. I suppose i'm unlucky in that I seem to have a fair few of these type of logins.

Richard that's basically what i'm doing at the moment. The login is saved with a window handle of "“MozillaDialogClass”" for all of the logins i'm saving.

With the last password manager I used the user didn't even have to consider what type of login was being saved or used as the process was the same regardless, there was no selecting the correct window to save the handles or anything like that.

I think there's certainly room for improvement here. Since moving over from R.F. there's bits I prefer from that and bits I prefer from 1P but overall nothing major that i've missed. But this area certainly seems a big step backwards compared to the process previously.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@reck We do not support HTTP authentication dialogs. However, there are two workarounds:

1. application logins
    2. auto-type
  • reck
    reck
    Community Member

OK thanks for the confirmation.

This discussion has been closed.