New User Sync Problems with IOS8 and Windows

I am a new user and am having problems trying to sync my IOS8 1Password Dropbox data with the Windows version of 1Password. I am running the latest release version of Dropbox 5 on an IOS8 iPad. I have about 10 entries in the IOS8 version of 1 Password. I purchased and installed the Windows version of 1Password (ver. 4.0.1.503) on my Windows 7 (64bit) PC. I installed the Windows version as a new user and pointed it to the vault located at c:/dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. However none of the entries from the IOS8 version show up (the vault is completely empty). I did make sure that the IOS8 version is set up for dropbox sync and I did force a sync. I have not received any error messages from either dropbox or 1Password. I have tried reading all the instructions several times and have uninstalled and reinstalled 1Password on the PC several times with rebooting the PC before the new installs. I did read that there are some sync problems with the latest version of 1Password5 for IOS, but didn't see any mention of my current issue. Does anyone have any suggestions. I would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank you.

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Have a look in the 1Password.agilekeychain/data/default folder. Do you see 10 ".1password" files?

If so then you're iOS8 device is syncing and it's a problem with Windows reading the data.
    If not, then iOS8 isn't syncing.

• sshearer
    sshearer
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. I only see a total of 5 files in the default folder. If you have any ideas why IOS8 might not be syncing when it appears to be set up correctly and does not give any errors, I am all ears! I will do some more checking from my end also. Could this be something that might be corrected by the pending 1Password 5 update for IOS8 or is it something completely different? Thanks again for your prompt response.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I have absolutely no idea about the iOS version. However, if there's 5 files, I'd expect to see 5 entries in the vault on Windows, unless they're old deleted ones.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sshearer,

First, please check to make sure 1Password for Windows and 1Password for iOS are syncing with the exact same file in Dropbox:

• On Windows, open 1Password and go to Preferences > General. Check the file path shown next to 1Password Vault.

• On your iOS device, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service. Check the file path shown directly under Dropbox.

Do they both show that they're syncing with the same file/location in Dropbox? If so, are you sure you're using the same Dropbox account on both Windows and iOS?

• mar1ll10n
    mar1ll10n
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same issue. On my PC the DropBox path begins with the C:\ drive. In IOS8 there is no C:\ drive; just /Apps... It's the same DropBox account but the paths are slightly different. I think my DropBox account may be out of sync with itself (?). Some items created/saved on one machine do not seem to be appearing when I log in from another. Even when I do a manual sync, the new items are not appearing. For example, in IOS I have 69 logins, on my PC I have 61 logins and on my Mac, I have 56 logins. Not sure if this is a DropBox issue or a 1Password issue.

Thanks.

• sshearer
    sshearer
    Community Member

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I was able to get this working this evening. The initial problem was that for some reason the dropbox program was not running on the PC (SOE error - stupid operator error!). I installed dropbox again on the PC and made sure it was running. When it still did not work, I did some checking and determined that the dropbox folder was c:\dropbox\dropbox\apps\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain. I am not sure why it added the folder dropbox under the top dropbox folder, but everything now seems to be working between my PC, my 2 iPads and my iPhone. Now I just have to move all my password data from my old password program pwSafe into 1 Password. I am having some issues with that, but I will start a new topic on that issue. Mar1ll10n, I hope you can resolve your issue. I don't have a Mac (yet) so I can't offer any suggestions.

Thanks again for everyone's response. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@sshearer, I'm happy to hear Dropbox sync is working now, thanks for letting us know! :)

@mar1ll10n, sorry for any confusion about the file path. When looking at the file path, look for the path that starts after Dropbox. For example, the path on Windows might look something like this: C:\Users\[your name]\Dropbox\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain

In that case, the location of your keychain file within Dropbox would be \1Password\1Password.agilekeychain If that matches the location you see in 1Password on iOS, the sync should be working (assuming you're using the same Dropbox account, and Dropbox itself is working).

On your Mac, if you're using 1Password 4, you can check the file path by opening 1Password, going to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, and choosing the Sync tab. If Dropbox sync is enabled, it will show the path to the keychain file. If it's syncing to a different keychain file, or if Dropbox sync is not set up, that explains why it isn't working with the others.

This discussion has been closed.