iCloud Drive Read Only Access

kathampy
kathampy
Community Member
edited October 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

The new iCloud Control Panel 4.0 adds iCloud Drive support to Windows. The files including application libraries can be accessed at %USERPROFILE%\iCloud Drive.

Is it technically possible to at least view the data file through this file system level access even if there is no iCloud API? I cannot use Wi-Fi syncing since it's isolated from the wired network on a non-routable VLAN.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kathampy,

If you move your 1Password keychain file to iCloud Drive, 1Password for Windows should be able to read that file, and in theory it may even work to sync with 1Password on other Windows computers (although I don't believe we've tested this).

However, the sync wouldn't work with 1Password for Mac because iCloud Drive has trouble detecting changes to Mac's bundle files. It wouldn't work with 1Password for iOS either. If you need to sync your 1Password data across multiple platforms, you can use Dropbox sync.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

If you move your 1Password keychain file to iCloud Drive, 1Password for Windows should be able to read that file, and in theory it may even work to sync with 1Password on other Windows computers (although I don't believe we've tested this).

I don't think iCloud Drive for Windows can automatically download and I'm almost certain it can't automatically upload. That was a few months back, so maybe it's changed.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

To confirm @Drew_AG‌'s important point, we're not testing 1Password with unsupported sync tools.

As time allows, we'll consider other sync options than those listed in this user's guide article.

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

Instead of requiring the Dropbox app to be installed on Windows, can you please consider using the Dropbox API directly?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion, @kathampy‌. The technical details are outside my field of knowledge, but I can say that if there was a simple solution it probably would've been implemented already.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Instead of requiring the Dropbox app to be installed on Windows, can you please consider using the Dropbox API directly?

@kathampy‌ Why?

• kathampy
    kathampy
    Community Member

I only want to use one cloud storage service and I don't want any others installed on my computer.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

I only want to use one cloud storage service and I don't want any others installed on my computer.

@kathampy‌ I hear you, but we probably won't be duplicating the functionality of the Dropbox client. It is so much easier to have the Dropbox client do the work. That is what it is here for.

Assuming you want to sync to Mac, then you aren't necessarily tied to Dropbox. You can use alternatives such as OneDrive or Google Drive.

This discussion has been closed.